Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Budget BBC heads worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget BBC heads worth buying?

Im trying to build a "budget" big block 454 but still have a decently strong engine. Ive been contemplating the Patriot heads that come fully assembled set up for .600" lift or the ProComp heads. I'm dead set on aluminum to keep a little weight off the frt end of the car (67 Camaro). Has anyone had any luck with these heads good or bad?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a google search on the pro comp heads. I have not read one good review about them. The general consensus is that they are poorly machined pieces of crap.

Just remember you get what you pay for, they are more money - but the TFS 280cc Powerovals are a great buy at right around $1800 and some change. Hell, even a $1600-ish set of Edelbrocks would be better than the pro comps.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably out of the budget, but look at the Brodix race rite big brodie heads. Bolt on with no mods to them. got some for my wifes 71 Camaro with a 489 in it and love them.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:02 PM
FormerVendor

For 320cc port, Patriot is good. AFR 345cc.

RHS is another to consider, we typically use them when we're looking for 380cc port head.
Needing something not quite BMF level.

Last edited by AES Racing; 12-09-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Hey hey got some good feedback. I kind of thought I was gonna get some negative feedback about the Pro Comps. I live in Huntsville, AL so hell I could drive down and grab some if need be. Are the $1300.00 set any good? What could I expect with those heads on a 454 with about 9.5 comp. ratio and a decent size (.575+ lift, and a 230-240 duration)? Or could someone just give me some good build tips for a "budget" reliable engine for my Camaro?
Old 12-09-2010, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

And as far as the RHS heads, the only ones Ive seen have been iron. I want to take a little weight off the car if its feasible in the end.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Most of the bad reviews you read about the Pro-Comps are refering to thier old heads. They had some problems origionally but they seem to have sorted them out. A friend of mine has the 320cc Pro-Comps with a .650''ish lift and 250*ish duration solid roller in a 489 in a 26' V bottom that ran almost 70 mph last season before a new intake, some port matching and a 1050 dominator, so it may even run over 70 now. That engine has to be in the 600hp range to run that fast and its been doing it for two seasons now without a problem. They flow enough to make almost 700hp out of the box, not bad for the money.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Yea man that is pretty good out of the box. Your right though the only thing bad about them I had heard that actually matched up between peoples complaints was the old style. What the problem was I cant remember now. It was that and something about some companys using poor quality valvetrain components in them after they bought them bare from Pro Comp and used **** parts in them trying to sell "cheap" heads. Damn I wish someone could make some BBC heads using LS technology.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

One could only wonder what cathedral port designs adapted to a 454 would do?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GoatPilot87
. Damn I wish someone could make some BBC heads using LS technology.
Haven't you ever seen an 18* symetrical port big block head? They have been around since the at least the early 80's I actually just bought a set, all the numbers that I've found are pretty impressive.

One could only wonder what cathedral port designs adapted to a 454 would do?
You should do some research on the 8100 truck motor because it does have cathedral port heads and apparently it doesn't work verry well. There isn't a whole lot you can do with this engine either because it is a Mark VII engine and none of the older stuff is compatible There is a company called Raylar that makes a set of aluminum cnc heads for it but the numbers aren't very impressive. I thought about using one of these engines but on top of the reasons above they are very expensive and so are parts. My opinion on the cathedral ports is that they only work well on smaller displacement engines. Have you ever wondered why GM went back to rectangular port heads on some of the 6.0s and all of the 6.2s? It almost seems like they are going backwards in some ways doesn't it?
Old 12-10-2010, 02:01 AM
FormerVendor

And as far as the RHS heads, the only ones Ive seen have been iron. I want to take a little weight off the car if its feasible in the end.
They have aluminum heads, we've used RHS 376cc aluminum heads a few times.

Heres thing with Patriot though, any problem they will fix it.

Damn I wish someone could make some BBC heads using LS technology.
Look at some of the more exotic canted valve style LS heads, and SBC 'little chief' heads. All originates back to something BBC related.

BBC heads by design are splayed valve.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Ok well maybe I was wrong for wishin LS tech into a BBC lol. But yeah I've noticed it seems theyre mixing older designs into neewer engines but hey if it aint broke dont fix it! I wish I could do R&D for aftermarket LS ****. You cant ever mention anything about carbing a LS to some people they just talk **** about "going backwards" in tech 40 years but hey its something different, its neat, and its got one hell of a shock and awe effect doesnt it? I think building a 302ci LS with some bad *** internals and a solid roller to throw in a 69 Z28 for "retro vintage" purposes would be sweet, especially if someone had the money to get a crossram that resembled the jl8 to put on top of it.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Maybe that sounds like a bunch of dumb **** but oh well I guess were all dreamers or none of us would be interested in this craft.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Check out the GMPP c-port heads, port out the exhaust horts and they will support 800hp easy... I sold my set unported for 800 bucks.

P.S. Tell me that any LS head out there has more R&D or tech in it then somethign like this...

Check out the GMPP c-port heads, port out the exhaust horts and they will support 800hp easy... I sold my set unported for 800 bucks.

Originally Posted by AES Racing
Look at some of the more exotic canted valve style LS heads, and SBC 'little chief' heads. All originates back to something BBC related.

BBC heads by design are splayed valve.
I tend to laugh when people think that the LS stuff is the best tech not to mention when people think something will be better with LS tech........

Look at the Chevy Hemi's for example......... are there LS Hemi's? Last I checked no. Are the Chevy Hemi's what everyone wants if they could afford them? For the most part yes. Are the fastest cars out there LS? No, you can only do so much with a small block before you hit the CUI to power wall...... I think it is safe to say that there is FAR more R&D and tech in some of the higher end BBC stuff then everything LS.

Not your average BBC head.....

http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/c...pherical-heads

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 12-11-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:46 PM
FormerVendor

Theirs 1 LS hemi head, made by Nick Arias Jr., it looks more like a novelty to me, i've yet to see dyno numbers, flow numbers were only LS7 area.

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Look at the Chevy Hemi's for example......... are there LS Hemi's? Last I checked no. Are the Chevy Hemi's what everyone wants if they could afford them? For the most part yes. Are the fastest cars out there LS? No, you can only do so much with a small block before you hit the CUI to power wall...... I think it is safe to say that there is FAR more R&D and tech in some of the higher end BBC stuff then everything LS.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:34 AM
TECH Addict

Um they did make ls style heads for big blocks, we know them as an 8.1

Modify 3 heads bolts and you can use these heads also will need the 8.1 thermostat housing
Old 12-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

What bolts and how do they need to be modified to fit on a gen vi or older block
Old 12-14-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

There location is a lil different to clear the symetrical port locations.

If you take an 8.1 head gasket and put it on an early block you will see the 3 bolts in question. I almost went the other way and put big oval ports on a 8.1 block so i could have a carbed 8.1 but glad i didnt after getting my feet wet with efi.

If you need more info drop me an email

edward.coss@gmail.com
Old 12-15-2010, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Glad I checked back on the thread, lots of cool info. Id like to see the hemi LS head you spoke of AES. Is it just a unicorn or has he released public info about them? Just wondering.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:55 AM
TECH Addict

Glad I checked back on the thread, lots of cool info. Id like to see the hemi LS head you spoke of AES. Is it just a unicorn or has he released public info about them? Just wondering.
You can buy the head conversion outright or a complete motor. Granted neither one is cheap

Quick Reply: Budget BBC heads worth buying?