Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

budget EFI setup on my sbc400 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default budget EFI setup on my sbc400 ?

could I use my obd2 lt1 engine harness on a sbc400 or should I sale and use a tpi painless unit I have access to for a efi setup?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What exactly are you trying to do?

Al 95 Z28
Old 01-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Big Al
What exactly are you trying to do?

Al 95 Z28
i would like to go efi without breaking the bank I have a 1rst gen sbc 400 .40 over so 408 setup for Forced Induction and i want to obtain ecu tuning.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

There are a lot of different ways to go. Many companies make injection setups that go on a regular looking intake. They use a throttle body that bolts up where the carb would sit and regular port injectors. Then there are the ones that look something like a Holley carb. I know of two different set ups like that. I would stay far away from the type like Holley sells that are actually throttle body injection systems with a fancy name.

I have a Ford with a port system made by Electromotive. It's 393" and put out 1100 HP. But I am not happy with the way it works or how much it cost. You need to really do your homework on this one. Look at the various systems and post here what you're thinking of using and we'll try to help. I'm assuming you're going to try to hobble something together out of stock parts, you still need to start somewhere to gather some ideas. Look here: http://www.fuelairspark.com/Products/chevy/sb/efi.asp

Someone will no doubt recommend a company that makes a "build it yourself" system. You may have heard of it, MegaSquirt. Be careful if you go with them or listen to someone that has one that works on a high HP engine.

Al 95 Z28
Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

There are a lot of different ways to go. Many companies make injection setups that go on a regular looking intake. They use a throttle body that bolts up where the carb would sit and regular port injectors. Then there are the ones that look something like a Holley carb. I know of two different set ups like that. I would stay far away from the type like Holley sells that are actually throttle body injection systems with a fancy name.

I have a Ford with a port system made by Electromotive. It's 393" and put out 1100 HP. But I am not happy with the way it works or how much it cost. You need to really do your homework on this one. Look at the various systems and post here what you're thinking of using and we'll try to help. I'm assuming you're going to try to hobble something together out of stock parts, you still need to start somewhere to gather some ideas. Look here: http://www.fuelairspark.com/Products/chevy/sb/efi.asp

Someone will no doubt recommend a company that makes a "build it yourself" system. You may have heard of it, MegaSquirt. Be careful if you go with them or listen to someone that has one that works on a high HP engine.

Al 95 Z28
greatly appreciate the help,yes MegaSquirt has came up a few times in my searches.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Al 95 Z28
what kinds of difficulties does megasquirt have with high power appplications? i was looking into that kit myself for a forced induction 4 cylinder drift car project
Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Look into EFI connection. Here is their website http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/default.aspx

They use LT1 front covers with the crank signal for older small blocks. They also use the plastic front timing cover from the 96-99 vortec 5.7 engines for crank signal. You can throw on a victor intake for EFI and fuel rails and possibly still use your LT1 harness. Put this in the LT1 section, those guys might be able to help you too.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Theres a few torque monster 400sbc runnin around with TPI Skoggin Dickey has a Vortec base for TPI if you go that route make sure to drill the steam holes in the heads & choose a torque type cam thats done around 5000rpm or whatever the upgrades will breath too Been awhile since ive thought about TPI Back in the day I remember a 400sbc in a vette that was bad *** If I remember right you can upgrade the computer but itll still need a chip Or DFI might work Hell its been since highschool lol & I graduated in 90 A modern single plane aftermarket EFI system will flow tons better though If you have stock heads ditch those for vortecs atleast & get the large 206cc ports

Quick Reply: budget EFI setup on my sbc400 ?