Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

SBC into 95 lt1 Firebird ** video added 12/19/13**

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha yep the abs and the heater box is still in there for now, last week when I went out to mess with the fast unit was the first I had been out to the garage in months. The radiator I have is a PRC radiator, I’ll have to measure it and get the size of it. I ended up using 1” x 1” aluminum and riveted one side to the radiator and then riveted the stock fan shroud to the aluminum. It was actually pretty simple. The stock fans ended up going on with just minor modifications, I didn’t have to adjust the size of the stock shroud at all. With that radiator if it’s less than 80 out I don’t even have to turn the fans on while driving because it will only run about 180 driving down the road. I have a new radiator that I might install sometime with a -16 upper radiator hose but that might be a next winter project. I’ll have to see if I have any more pictures of the radiator install
Old 03-20-2019, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebob5
Haha yep the abs and the heater box is still in there for now, last week when I went out to mess with the fast unit was the first I had been out to the garage in months. The radiator I have is a PRC radiator, I’ll have to measure it and get the size of it. I ended up using 1” x 1” aluminum and riveted one side to the radiator and then riveted the stock fan shroud to the aluminum. It was actually pretty simple. The stock fans ended up going on with just minor modifications, I didn’t have to adjust the size of the stock shroud at all. With that radiator if it’s less than 80 out I don’t even have to turn the fans on while driving because it will only run about 180 driving down the road. I have a new radiator that I might install sometime with a -16 upper radiator hose but that might be a next winter project. I’ll have to see if I have any more pictures of the radiator install
Awesome, I re read your post a few times and looked a little more at the picture and it's pretty straight forward what you did to attach your fans, guess my brain wasn't warmed up yesterday. Is it a PRC or BSC? In your post I quoted it says a BSC 28x19, and doing a little googling I found this https://behrents.com/parts/bsc-400-4...waArjkEALw_wcB Looks to be about what you have, maybe? If that's it and just some minor mods to the upper hold down I like that option a lot better. Did you have to do anything to the lower supports?
Old 04-09-2019, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buump, hey Rebob5 is the link I posted the radiator you used or was it a PRC one, I cant find one with those dimensions close to that price from PRC.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by biketopia
Buump, hey Rebob5 is the link I posted the radiator you used or was it a PRC one, I cant find one with those dimensions close to that price from PRC.
Sorry for taking forever to respond, been awhile since I’ve been on here and got a chance to look at my radiator. It’s for sure a PRC one, ive had it for awhile so they may have changed pricing up since I got it.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

Winter 2020 update here in Cold Syracuse, NY. The used FAST efi didn't go so well... All seemed good got the car fired up and running even went for a drive around the block and then the ECU had some kind of malfunction and none of the sensors would read (all had way too much voltage). I think I figured out why i got it used for such a good price LOL. I really did the like how nice it was so decided to buy new. This time I went with the Holley Terminator EFI unit. Its on the car and fires up and all seems good so far. Now I need it to warm up and the salt to be washed off the road so I can take it for a joyride and let it self learn. Ill try and keep this updated a little more than I have.

Rob
Old 01-10-2020, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

Got the final piece to my Jones Racing Products Front drive Setup, 65 amp 12-19v adjustable alternator. The other one I had worked fine but the mounting situation wasn’t the best. That is no longer a issue with the new alternator and the Jones bracket they make to accommodate the alt. Had the 16v system in for a short while but took it out before I installed my Holley EFI, Back to 12v now
Old 01-13-2020, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

All good on the radiator, I was up in the air last year if I wanted to stand mine up or not. I had myself on a tight schedule to get the car from gutted roller to running driving, 6 point installed, full interior, firebird dash swap, new gauges, battery relocate, etc in like 6 weeks, put maybe 20 miles of driving on it the day before I headed out on a 180 mile trip to cruisn' OC. I put a stock LT1 radiator in it and haven't had an issue with the 427sbc getting hot so it's gonna live with that for now. Changed over to a vic JR intake and on the look out for a hood.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

biketopia: I hear ya! If it wasn't for me breaking a fitting on my stock rad that was going to be my plan, Luckily I got this one and it worked.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Been Messing around in the garage the last few weeks. When I built the new engine I never hooked the heater up and there were days I drove it and couldn't feel my hands or toes LOL. I decided to hook the heat up and all went good until I found the heater core was bad. Luckily GM was smart and made it pretty easy to access. I think it was about 10 minutes and I had it out. Took me about 20 minutes today to install the new one and pressure test the system and then started it up to see if operation heat worked and it did LOL. I also made a rear seat delete panel, I made some templates out of cardboard and then transferred that to paper board and the finished product came out great. It was leftover scrap blue and yellow aluminum I had laying around so I wrapped it in 3M carbon fibre vinyl and i love how it turned out. Its almost nice enough to where I can drive it again, and this time I wont freeze!!

Old 03-16-2021, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Filler panel looks great! Also love how GM made the heater core actually accessible in these cars
Old 03-28-2021, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 swap help

Originally Posted by Rebob5
Tomorrow starts the next project on the list of my car. We do a lot of circle track racing and up until 2009 small blocks were what we raced around here but things changed and we were forced to switched over to big blocks so all of our sb stuff was basically useless. We sold 1 motor and the other we sold the heads and intake and the leftover shortblock was sprayed with lots and lots of oil and stuffed in a engine bag and placed under the shelf in the garage where it has been sitting since April of 09 until today when I loaded it into my truck to bring it to work and start the fun. The motor only had about 50 total laps on it so it was basically new when it was taken out of the car. It is a gm bowtie block with billet steel main caps. It is bored out to 4.050 and has a set of crower 5.7 inch billet maxi light rods, and a matching crower maxi light 3.48 stroke forged 4340 crank so it is 359 cubic inches. it was set up as a solid lifter cam but will be switched over to a roller only because i have access to many roller cams that I can choose from for free. I work for a very large dirt modified team here in ny and we have a full in house engine shop with about 50 engines in rotation right now so I have access to lots of parts that are sitting on the shelf because they are no longer "whats new" in circle track racing. So this motor will get a set of old ported racing heads and intake and a bunch of other stuff to make a fun weekend warrior. We have everything from 420" all aluminum sb2.2's, 460" sb 9 degree motors, 468" bb 18 degree, 358" 23 degree sb and also 360 & 410" methanol injected sprint car motors. Its definitely a sight to see. I think this will be a very fun project and will try to keep this thread updated with pictures and tips on what I have to do to get the conventional SB into my LT1 car.
do you have a parts list of everything I need to do the lt1 to sbc swap in my 4th gen trans am
Old 03-29-2021, 12:00 AM

Default Well a basic lt1 to sbc swap Iknow you have a very expensive set up jus da basics

Originally Posted by LaReb Holt
do you have a parts list of everything I need to do the lt1 to sbc swap in my 4th gen trans am
a basic lt1 to sbc swap Iknow you have a very expensive set up jus the basic parts for a stock swap
Old 03-29-2021, 05:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Remove LT1, install SBC of your choice, OP has a nice built set up, I've had basic junkyard set up GM vortec block and heads with an LT1 hot cam and signle plane intake, now it has a 427 SBC. Depending on intake and fuel delivery choice will dictate how much of the cowl you will need to cut. I recommend a small cap distributor. You'll only use 2 of the 3 motor mount bolts that go to the block on each side, but that's not a problem. Unless you swap to an aftermarket K member that is designed for a SBC/BBC swap. You'll need to figure out your fuel delivery, I ran a regulator and carb set up off the factory pump and factory feed and return lines for a year and half, then changed intake pumps and ran my own feed and return. All the engine wiring can come out with the engine and you'll still have everything there to keep lights and stuff working, you'll need to run manual switches for the fans or hook up a fan controller. LT1 headers fit, v-belt accessories fit, I run a single wire alternator, when I had power steering I ran a pump I had off my old c-10, pulled the fitting out of the stock lt1 pump and put it in the c-10 pump and got creative blending the lines from both applications together, hoses I think are from a 3rd gen, top I used a 21675 and bottom a 21324 (think those are gates #s) lokar throttle cable, or some people get a 3rd gen cable to work. Then you'll need figure out your trans, I swapped to a TH350.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by biketopia
Remove LT1, install SBC of your choice, OP has a nice built set up, I've had basic junkyard set up GM vortec block and heads with an LT1 hot cam and signle plane intake, now it has a 427 SBC. Depending on intake and fuel delivery choice will dictate how much of the cowl you will need to cut. I recommend a small cap distributor. You'll only use 2 of the 3 motor mount bolts that go to the block on each side, but that's not a problem. Unless you swap to an aftermarket K member that is designed for a SBC/BBC swap. You'll need to figure out your fuel delivery, I ran a regulator and carb set up off the factory pump and factory feed and return lines for a year and half, then changed intake pumps and ran my own feed and return. All the engine wiring can come out with the engine and you'll still have everything there to keep lights and stuff working, you'll need to run manual switches for the fans or hook up a fan controller. LT1 headers fit, v-belt accessories fit, I run a single wire alternator, when I had power steering I ran a pump I had off my old c-10, pulled the fitting out of the stock lt1 pump and put it in the c-10 pump and got creative blending the lines from both applications together, hoses I think are from a 3rd gen, top I used a 21675 and bottom a 21324 (think those are gates #s) lokar throttle cable, or some people get a 3rd gen cable to work. Then you'll need figure out your trans, I swapped to a TH350.
do you have any platform that I can message you personally on and thanks my man you are a big inspiration to a lot of us that wanna do this swap

Last edited by LaReb Holt; 03-29-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got a lot of my info from the OP, and a few other threads from here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/small-blo...swap-done.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/small-blo...lt1-f-car.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/small-blo...sbc-94-v6.html

biketopia.bmx@verizon.net if you want to shoot me an e-mail.

Quick Reply: SBC into 95 lt1 Firebird ** video added 12/19/13**