Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

SBC heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBC heads

I have this set of heads on my car. Some guy said they were worth a few bucks. Anybody got any idea what they are worth and why?

340292.....70's.......Over the counter, angle plug, 64cc chamber

This came from the sticky. This is the casting number on my heads. I am thinking of either finding a LS engine or putting aluminum heads on the car.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

340292 turbo heads. Are considered over the counter, meaning you could buy them from any GM dealership parts department. They were designed and sold for off-road use. I.E stock class racing which required a production head but these were never installed at the factory. By todays standards they are on the low end of the performers as far as flow numbers. Unported Vortec heads outflow them and just about every aluminum aftermarket head beats them by a lot, expect for Edelbrock performer heads.

I guess they could be worth cash to someone building a period correct stock class drag car or a backyard budget street build. You could put them on Fleabay with a 500.00 dollar reserve and see if you get any bites. After buying them for 500 and sinking 300 bills freshening them up, you can get the brand new Vortec's that will build more power.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Cool. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

These heads first came out in 1973. Normally, they were sold to racers who ran high compression (11:1+) ratios who needed the slant plug's revised position to help out the flame propagation over the piston dome. When I bought my pair for my '69 Camaro, I received a paper outlining porting guidelines from Chevy Tech along with the heads. Properly ported, these heads out flowed any other contemporary Chevy heads.

You may have better luck selling these heads as "vintage" hot rod heads on EBay to some collector. Be sure to include pictures showing the lack of an exhaust crossover as well as the casting numbers on the head. (Chevy later released a version of the slant plug heads with an exhaust crossover for street driving. These heads were essentially "double hump" FI heads with a different spark plug position. Didn't really flow more or make much more power than the heads they replaced.)

Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Trickflow 195's are pretty cheap too. A lil over a grand for the set.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:59 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a set on a 383 that were ported by a pro. I cannot say I had a all motor LS1 beat me on the street. But I did have a cube advantage and probably 2-400 pounds lighter than a ls1 car.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

I am probably just going to yank the engine and install an LS. The engine is built pretty good. Steel crank, splayed mains, forged rods, Ross pistons, everything studded, and the heads were ported with roller rockers. I think it had a roller cam, but was swapped for a hydraulic when the car was titled for street use.

Kind of amazing you can dump this much money into an engine and with a few minor mods on an LS, get 100 more hp easily...LOL
Old 09-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Teching In

I believe they made 292's in angle plug and straight plug. the ones I had were angle, but regardless be sure to state that in your ad. There are still dinosaurs out there , like me, that look for 'era correct' parts. they were a popular high comp head in the day.

Quick Reply: SBC heads