Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

GEN1 in an F body

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GEN1 in an F body

The LT1 will be coming out soon for a build and I have a 283 layin around that I'm thinking about dropping in just for the hell of it. What wires do I need to come off of to hook up the ignition and will all my guages work normally? Will the M6 bolt right up and what about the clutch and flywheel? As you can tell I really don't know that much about the LT1 block.

Also, gimme some HP figures for this 283......
bored 60 over
TRW forged pistons with compression around 11.75
Comp Cam 244/244 at .050 with 534/534 lift 110 LSA
1.6 roller rockers
186 casting "double hump" heads w/ home port and polish and gasket matched w/ 2.02 1.60 valves
Edelbrock Victor Jr intake
600 Holley
stock steel forged crank
stock rods

The block came out of a '58 vette I think and I'm thinking about putting 4 bolt main caps on it. I've had these parts laying around since I was 18, that would be 13 years, so I figured I might as well put it together. lol This was sort of a "my dad raced this when he was young" project and we were gonna build it but never did. I don't know how many times I've heard about the "full race" cam that was so lopey he could count every lick the motor hit story. lol More than one has told me it was badass back in the day, you gotta love old school! Also, I bought Perfect Circle Dana rod and main bearings when I bought all this stuff way back when and was wondering if they are ok or should I go with Clevite bearings or something else?
Old 12-18-2004, 11:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are many pit fall's in your adventure. If you want to run a Carb and cut the cowl you could do it no problem. In 58 I am pretty sure they had added the side bolt points for mounts so all is good there. Does it have an oil filter boss? The clutch and Fly wheel may be a be challenge but I am pretty sure SLP or Mcleod make the parts now.

All in all If it were me I would either re-do the LT1 or move up to a LS1. It is alot of effort and 283s are notorios for being a peaky high RPM motor. Our cars are pretty heavy and the lask of TQ with the small bore short stroke will hurt you

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's the reason the LT1 is coming out, for a build up, and it will go back in but I'm in the process of buying a house so money will be tight for a while so the build up may be slow going and I'm in the mood to build something!! lol I already have everything for the 283 so I figured what the hell. If I have to cut the cowl then screw that, I'm not cutting the car up. Will the LT1 intake fit GEN1 heads? And yeah I know the 283 is a high rpm low torque motor, I just like to hear em wind up I'm not trying to break any speed records with it. lol It has side motor mounts and I'll have to use an oil filter adapter. I'll do some checking on the flywheel and clutch, if it's too much money then I'll just drop it in the ol '53 pickup just to have something to play with. The racin' bug has done bit me again and I need a fix!
Old 12-18-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you go to www.lt1intake.com BAM shows you how to do an LT1 intake manifold on a plain old SBC! HAHAHAHA micro mouse with huge cam = 8000 RPM fuel injected fun, packaged in what appears to be an lt1..... It would be ****** awsome. just imagine what an 8000 rpm flyby would sound like... obviously you gotta run a HEI so spark is no problem, but I dunno how it would deliver extra fuel past 7k

Last edited by z28boysteve; 12-18-2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found that link earlier today. It looks like that's the way I'm probably gonna go because I aint cuttin on the cowl. Yeah I know that's a huge *** cam for such a small motor but I figure it aint gonna have anything on the bottom anyway so I might as well make it all up top. I wish I could afford sme good heads but oh well, I think it will be an interesting project.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What size throttle body should I go with this? Will the stock 48 mm be big enough? Also, I can't find any info on wether or not the LT1 flywheel will bolt up or not, anybody know??
Old 12-20-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a very aggressive cam for a 283ci motor, I would go a bit smaller.

If it were me, I'd get rid of the 48mm TB and swap in at least a 52mm. I think AS&M makes a very good 54mm but I could be wrong, don't take my word for it. But yeah, the 48mm will bottleneck the hell out of the intake, especially with that cam in there.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

well to be honest I would just drop it in the truck and fix the LT1. Even if you get that hacked up POS intake you would have to fab up the opti and a few other things. the price would start to merg into what you could fix the LT1 for.

I am talking from experiance. I have inked the whole thing out and that is why a LT1 is going back in my car this winter. Right now I am only short a block for the GEN-I convertion and I have two parts to finsh fabbing so they can go to have casting molds made.

So tell me do you think a 454 Gen-I SBC with 18* heads and a LT1 PCM will make any power? I am hoping it will. As a mater of fact I have invested alot of money just to prove it

Good luck man!

BTW you just bought a house? You have only begun to be broke In our house for about a year and a Half. JUST starting to feel like we can make it all happen!
Old 12-20-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No need to fab up an opti, take a look at the link a few posts up. You cut a hole for the old style distributor and make a 1/4" spacer to get the height right. The corner holes on the intake line up but the inside ones have to be filled then new ones drilled for the old GEN1 pattern. Drill two holes for the water crossover and install two nipples (no not those kind!! haha) and run it to a remote thermostat housing and there ya go, all ready to go! There are a few other small things but my main concern is about the flywheel, I can't seem to find any info on wether or not the LT1 flywheel will bolt up or if they make one that will. And are you kiddin me, will a 454 make any power? I don't think I need to answer that!! lol

Haven't bought a house yet, still looking for one and YES it has to have a big *** garage!
Old 12-20-2004, 10:54 PM
10 Second Club

Actually not only have I looked at the site many times I have held one in my hands. then got rid of it due to very poor quality. THEN I decided to make my own.

Here is the thread on it.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310918

good reading make sure to check it out. I go by OneFlyn95z28.

You are STILL going to need the opti to run the PCM. No way around it man sorry.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dammit this is why I hate computer cars, I forget about this kind of ****!! lol Well, gotta do some searching and reading.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And no I don't plan on buying one of those intakes, I'll do it myself. I don't like people doing anything for me that I can do myself. That way you only have one person to blame if it's wrong!
Old 12-22-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A few ideas and questions..........have you thought about trying to mount the opti on a regular distrbutor shaft?? I don't know the dimensions on them so there may be a major clearance problem with the intake and firewall. Also I read an article that said the crank trigger didn't come about on the LT1 til 96, first of all is that right and what's the purpose of the crank trigger since the opti picks up engine speed and position with the optical eye? Second, since I'm converting to OBD1 and that is pre 96 then I wouldn't need to worry about putting the crank trigger on the GEN1 motor right? Ellis, I think you know more than what yer lettin on!! lol Enlighten me a little bit please.

Quick Reply: GEN1 in an F body