Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Electric waterpump vs belt driven waterpump???HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Electric waterpump vs belt driven waterpump???HELP

Had a quick question about water pumps. My father has a 69 camaro with a 427 bigblock. Mostly a weekend driven car. It has a overheating issue - The waterpump he has on it is electric and drag racing only. We were thinking about buying a csr water pump that flows 35-38gallons per min. But we were told a belt driven edlebrock waterpump can flow 150-170gallons per min. Is that true. I dont care if the waterpump is electric or belt driven or even saves horsepower. I just want the highest flowing waterpump between the two
Old 11-18-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

highest flowing isn't always good. If the water moves to fast it doesn't have time to absorb heat. The electric should be just fine, what does he have on it now? We run a CSR on the 600hp BBC in the Malibu and it cools just fine even on the street.

It sounds like you may have another issue, what are you running for a radiator and fans? We chased a cooling issue in the Vega 2 years ago only to find out it was a very hard system to bleed, try bleeding it from the highest point. We ended up getting one of these and it worked out great.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

, used one of these too to fill instead of at the radiator (the radiator was way below the motor)
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 11-18-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We know it's the waterpump. The one on the car only flows about 10-14 gallons per min. We were thinking about going with one of those csr waterpumps also - But we were told it dont flow as much as a belt driven one. The elderbrock victors flow 170 gallons per minute we were told over the CSR which only flows 35 or so per minute. I'm sure either one will work. It's a summer weekend driven car only -It's a not a everyday cruiser. We have a aluminum radiator with a high flowing built in fan
Old 11-18-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the other one only flows 10gpm thats pretty bad LOL. I am very happy with the CSR, i would say go for it. The only thing about a mechanical one is that its cheaper and pretty much bullet proof, it wont leave you stranded anywhere but it will cost you a few HP's
Old 11-18-2007, 09:27 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for CSR, I have one and it works great on the street on my Nova. Belt driven will flow a little more at higher rpm because of the simple fact that flow will change depending on belt speed versus the electric that runs the same speed at all times (which is a help at cruising/low rpm). I think you'll be happy with a CSR, they build nice stuff.

Derek
Old 11-18-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We usually drive the car withn 25 miles to the local car shows and cruises on the weekends. That CSR should be fine then for that type of travel?? We just dont want the car to have overheating problems with this type of waterpump. Also what about during the summer time on those 90* days how do these CSR hold up compared to the belt driven ones as far as keeping the temps down
Old 11-19-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it will be fine. Like i said before, it cools our drag car just fine, and we have taken it on the road a few times (shhhh) and it stayed at 190 the entire time. We can idle in the staging lanes for ever and it never even thinks about overheating.

Last edited by Horsepwraddict; 11-19-2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a CSR pump and it cools 1200hp fine.

Keep in mind the CSR while it may -only- flow 30-40gpm, it does it at idle and 7000rpm. A belt driven pump may flow 150gpm at 7000 but what does it flow at idle or light cruise when you're having the overheating problem??? It may only flow 15gpm, who knows.

The AFR, radiator, fans, pump, coolant, timing and engine condition can all affect how hot the motor gets. It's doubtful the pump is the problem IMO, but give it a shot. I can make my motor run hot or cold depending on how I have the carb and timing setup, and thats with a CSR pump and a BIG 2-core Ron Davis radiator with dual 16" spal fans.

Craig

Quick Reply: Electric waterpump vs belt driven waterpump???HELP