Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Another Stolen Fbody From New Orleans!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Stolen Fbody From New Orleans!

Didn't think it would happen to me so SOON,.. only had the car for less than 4 months.. but **** was inevitable... the car in my sig was stolen THIS AFTERNOON, at EXACTLY between 12-12:50PM because I parked it on the student campus parking lot at Xavier University in BROAD daylight during my last class. Whoever did this sure had plenty of ***** to do such a thing where they did... especially considering that students are passing by the area all the time to classes... I was also saving up for a LoJack, but I guess it's too late for that now!

Last edited by bamxbam; 10-27-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Something has gotta be done about this crap! There are too many f-bodys being stolen in lower LA. Are the cops blind? or on the take? Sorry to hear about that.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Launching!

In fact, when filing the police report, on the question that asked "who do you think stole the vehicle and why?", I specifically put "fbody theft ring" and made sure to mention the sheer number of ls1 fbodies stolen around the area... i doubt that they'll take this into consideration, but it was worth a try. If any LSx or fbody owners around the area want to do something about this and take matters into our own hands (i heard something about a bait vehicle?), I'm DOWN! number is 770-364-1648, i wouldn't wish this kind of suffering on anyone.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Damn mine was stolen saturday morning, yours this afternoon. thats ******* crazy! Yea these guys need to be stopped. Someone said in my thread on another forum that I jus need to let the cops handel it but the cop aint doing **** and most likely wont do ****. Something has to be done.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Launching!

BTW DONT EVER GET LOJACK. A good friend of mine had it on his Accord which was stolen 2 weeks ago and they still havent found it. Apparentlly once LoJack is called about it, it sends out a signal but not all cop cars are lojack equiped. Jefferson Parish cops told my friend tat they had NO lojack equiped cars on duty when is car was stolen. He had to wait until the moning shift cops came on duty before they might be able to find it.

Look online and get a GPS tracking system, alot better and most of them are even cheaper. You can track you cars movement from online.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry to here this guys I belong to Gulf south Firebird and Camaro club we all know here about this and will look for it also!!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Man, I hate to hear about the epidemic you guys are facing with the amount of stolen cars. Guys, put kill switches on these cars, do whatever you can to deter these a$$holes from taking your ride. If I were you guys, I would start paying close attention to your crowds especially around the lakefront and streetraces. I would think they are ripping these cars off for the drivetrains, so obviously if you know of people selling parts for these cars, (like stuff they dont need ie: dashboards, interior trim pieces etc)you may want to look at them. Is anyone getting there car back after they have been stripped or are these things just disappearing? I would think whoever is behind this "ring" they are gonna have warehouse somewhere with cutting tools to chop these things up. Are these things that easy to steal or do yall think they are using tow trucks??? I hate a ******* thief....good luck guys and hopefully they will get caught or killed trying to steal another one..
Old 10-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Thing is, nobody here knows about my car or even me; ever since I've owned it so far, I've never even taken it out to race, track, or any meets yet... so whoever wanted it either follows me around everywhere or sees me around school all the time I guess. I'm still not sure if they towed it away or drove off in it... I always heard about how easy it is to get keys cut, so I had my VIN on the windshield covered with a business card to prevent this, but maybe it came off and I never noticed. Anybody know how much insurance typically gives? Do they go by book value? I have Liberty Mutual with $1000 deductible, hope they can sort this **** out fast.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

beautiful car sorry for your loss
Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well THAT is some Crazy Shidt right there.
Sorry to hear of the loss. Truely we ALL feel your pain.
I've had several friends whom have gotten their rides stolen by some
Low-Life P.O.S. We'll all be on the lookout for the "Animal" and yours too there
Hurricane.

Extremely sorry for your losses. Don't bet on the Insurance Companies
Old 10-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

bruh, i swear im damn near cryin...i feel for ya...BULL ****!!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:11 AM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Wasn't there a break in this theft ring BS?!?! Or was that a rumor???

I saw a post recently about a suggestion of NOT being a vigilante. It's f***ing hard NOT to be when you have so many of these cars being jacked from parking lots and driveways. As far as method of theft, easy to tow if they can lift the back end with wheel jacks to slide out of parking spaces. Seen that done to a buddy's truck that was parked in a restricted apt complex parking space. Tow truck guy had it hooked up by the time we ran outside to stop him (less than a minute).

Key cuts using VINs... what can you do if some jack-off with access to manufacturer systems does unethical $hit?!?! Find 'em, and beat his/her head to da bone wit a f***ing brick!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be on the lookout over here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I'll pass it on to my buds in Mobile,AL and P'cola, FL too. Been there (with my first GN) it sucks.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Sorry to hear you car was stolen BamxBam, hope you get lucky & they find it. I know at least 4 of our club members cars were stolen, 2 trans ams & 2 ss's. One of the Trans Ams & one of the SS's were found luckily with the broken **** as usual but they were able to fix them after a while. But the other 2 were sadly found stripped out. Only 1 was stolen before Katrina, the other 3 afterwards. So go figure.

We'll keep an eye out.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Teching In

sorry to hear that bro,yea that **** had some ***** to jack your **** in broad daylight,ill keep my eyes open on the road in case i happen to run across it.make sure u file a report which im sure u did and keep checking every day,keep your head up man every dog has there day
Old 10-28-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Location: From the Bowels of Hell!!! You want some of me bitch?!?!?!

Baton Rouge City Police can set up a bullshit sting operation to catch some ******** trying to steal a factory radio, but they won't set something up to catch an entire theft ring???? THAT is a crock of ****.

Bait car break-in leads to arrest

A 39-year-old man was arrested Friday for allegedly breaking into a vehicle on Eugene Street near Florida Boulevard that police had planted there to lure and catch thieves.

Jonathan Haile, 2675 Convention St., broke into the vehicle five times overnight before being arrested about 3:30 a.m. and booked into Parish Prison on five counts of simple burglary of a vehicle, said Sgt. Don Kelly, a Baton Rouge Police Department spokesman.

Police responded each time Haile entered the car, but Haile managed to avoid police on four occasions before being arrested the fifth time he entered the vehicle, Kelly said.

The vehicle Haile is accused of breaking into is known among law enforcement communities as a bait vehicle and is part of Louisiana’s Vehicle Investigation Prevention Enforcement Response Program, also known as VIPER.

Passed by the Legislature in 2004, the program is funded by the Louisiana Automobile Theft and Insurance Fraud Prevention Authority, which is part of the Louisiana Department of Insurance, said Denise Cassano, the program’s director.

The program is implemented in conjunction with the National Insurance Crime Bureau and is active in Baton Rouge, Bossier City and Shreveport, Cassano said. New Orleans is scheduled to begin a program within the next couple of weeks.

“This program is effective in deterring future offenders, which in turn reduces the number of vehicles lost by the public and reduces the cost of insurance claims to insurance companies,” Cassano said.

Law enforcement, she said, puts the bait vehicles, which are donated by insurance companies, in areas where there is a high rate of vehicle burglaries and thefts.

Baton Rouge police also positions the vehicles in neighborhoods that have recently seen a rash of vehicle thefts and break ins, Kelly said.

When someone breaks into a bait vehicle or tries to steal one, law enforcement is alerted via technology installed in the vehicle, Cassano said. Such technology is not only effective in catching thieves, she added, but in prosecuting them.

Kelly, who would not say how many bait vehicles the Police Department has, said bait vehicles are typically equipped with alarms, cameras and a device that allows law enforcement to shut the engine off from a remote location.

Since the Police Department became part of the state’s Vehicle Investigation Prevention Enforcement Response Program last year, police have made 50 arrests related to bait vehicles, Kelly said.

“We believe it has a deterrent effect that goes beyond the people who are caught,” he said. “It’s one of many tools we use to try and keep the bad guys guessing.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Teching In

A suggestion, always park your car with the wheels locked to one direction. It's not much, but it makes it much more difficult to tow or flatbed or takes more time to break the column lock to get the wheels straight. Every little bit helps.

At home, I always park another vehicle behind the bird, which is up next to the house, so the only access to it would be to tow the other vehicle out of the way first. I have a pitbull mix and my nextdoor neighbor has a pitbull and a boxer. A cop lives two doors up with a police dog, and another cop lives two doors down.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Location: From the Bowels of Hell!!! You want some of me bitch?!?!?!

Ummmmm they've been know to move vehicles that were blocking the car they wanted to steal so that isn't always fool proof.

Dogs behind fences offer no support.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

He didn't say it was foolproof, just another obstacle for a would-be thief to overcome. If a professional thief wants your car, he'll get it.

One that I always heard works well is a delayed shut-off. It won't work with a rollback or wrecker but it's good for drive-offs. The delayed shut-off let's 'em crank the car and drive off but kills the fuel pump after a couple of minutes. That way, the car is, hopefully, in the middle of the road where they'll have to abandon it.

Lots of options out there but none of 'em defeat a rollback.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Launching!

I'm pretty **** when it comes to making sure my car is not stolen... when parking at home or anywhere without many cars or people passing by. At home, my parents' minivan is always parked behind, my wheels are cut all the way to one side, and I press the "lock" button on the key FOB at least a couple of times everytime I lock the car just to make sure lol... sounds pretty stupid but yeah, and my ttops are always locked. My alarm setting was even on the most sensitive, and even though the factory alarm is a pos, every little bit counted, even if it meant having to go outside and stopping every single false triggers.

Yes, a police report has been filed, and like I said, on the section that asked me "who do you think stole the car?" I specifically put down "fbody theft ring" and included something about a shitload of firebirds/transams/camaros being stolen around the area, I'm pretty sure the cops know about this too but won't really do anything.

If I only skipped my Sociology1010 class and just hid in my backseat during the 50 minutes... one of us, either the thief or myself, wouldn't have made it alive that's for sure! I'm sad to say, as much as I love fbodies and ls1s... I'm greatly discouraged from buying another one again anytime soon with the insurance check (which will be a whole nother' issue...) as long as I'm in New Orleans, the theives love it just as much as I do.

Quick Reply: Another Stolen Fbody From New Orleans!