Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Help! My car is skipping popping through the intake backfiring gauges going carzy

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! My car is skipping popping through the intake backfiring gauges going carzy

I have a 99 camaro lq4 6.0 . Car has been great never gave me a problem until yesterday morning . I left home made it about a mile . I noticed it was surging and skipping really bad . Almost like it was out of gas . Was idleing really strange and on occasion would die with the clutchi in . I put gas in it and did the same thing . The gauges are going crazy. All the dash light's are going on and off as if the switch is being cycled. Tach is jumping from 0 to redline when it does work it is sluggish at times . The water temp oil pressure and all other guages are turning on and off speedo included . If you hold your foot at part throttle it almost will not pick up at all has a hard time revving . It started all at once before this i have never had a problem with the car .
Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

I checked a few ground they didnt feel very loose . I looked at the crank position sensor it looked good on visual inspection . The harness didnt look bad as if it had been burnt . I do not have a clue where to start or what might be causing the problem . Any advise is very helpful .
Old 09-21-2010, 12:35 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is basically what your car is telling you it wants to do:

Old 09-21-2010, 12:38 PM
LSX Mechanic

Ok just kidding, sorry..

-Check the 2 grounds on the back of the drivers side head and make sure they're tight.
-Check all fuses
-Check battery voltage
-Check alternator voltage with car running and someone revving to around 2K rpms. Should be around 14.4v, watch for voltage drops.

I've seen a bad alternator cause a car to do all kinds of crazy ****.

Start there.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Will do man . I checked the 2 grounds earlier man they felt to they didnt move when i wiggled them . The battery terminal's were tight , and the fuses seemed good as well .
Old 09-21-2010, 02:13 PM
LSX Mechanic

There is another ground on the driver's side right near where the motor mount is, next to the 02 sensor plug.

If all that stuff is going haywire at once then it's an obvious short somewhere. Who swapped the LQ9 in the car?
Old 09-21-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

It was like that when i got it . Ill check that to . I think it's the altenator it is only making 9v so i'm going to change that and see where i am .
Old 09-21-2010, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

check for a hot wire grounding on the headers or block...one of the old wires for the distributor on my car melted to a header tube and caused symptoms like these
Old 09-21-2010, 07:13 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by kngkahious
It was like that when i got it . Ill check that to . I think it's the altenator it is only making 9v so i'm going to change that and see where i am .
If you're only pulling 9v @ 2000rpms that's definitely a problem.

Your car is local isn't it? The only reason I asked is because I just recently fixed a car that "Horsepower Evolutions" did an LQ9 swap on. That thing has a ton of electrical issues that needed sorting out. Among many other things.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

i checked all the grounds i think they are all fine . yes i got it from a guy named trevor in canton . i changed the alt and it seemed to run better but the gauges are still going crazy . i noticed it wil idle fine gauges perfect but if i rev it up part throttle then rev it up it bogs and the gauges go crazy again . i let it sit out there a few minutes and and idle with a charger on it to help get the volts up . it started to run perfect no problems at all i turned the car off recrank it. it did the same thing as before . i talked to ron at vengence he said to check the crank position sensor sense the tach is going to 0 . but all the guages are going stupid so i dont know if that is a problem . it's just odd to start all of a sudden with no warning at all .
Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

the car runs awsome below 2k or so rpm no guage problems or anything .
Old 09-22-2010, 11:38 AM
LSX Mechanic

You probably need to take it somewhere and get it scanned via Hptuners, EFI live and/or a Tech 2 scanner.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Regular

i've been busy for a while bro . it dosent show a check engine code . i figured out what the problem was . it was the pcm piggy back wire that goes to the alt. apparently that wire gose to the pcm and the pcm is what tells the alt when to charge and stop . it was only charging at 9v so it was running like **** . i replaced it and the alt and presto like new ! oh yeah the guages still go nuts but it is from a loose connection under the dash apparently .

Quick Reply: Help! My car is skipping popping through the intake backfiring gauges going carzy