Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

HSV AL police give trouble with pistol permit

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 01:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HSV AL police give trouble with pistol permit

Has anyone with a permit been hassled or troubled by officers while having a permit to carry? I have twice, once tonight, where an officer told me I couldn't have a round chambered. period. Then also he said I couldn't drink ANYWHERE besides my house while carrying. I'm pretty sure thats not exactly what the little book says.. Also this was the only officer that I've seen who could properly unload a 1911. ? So what good is a 1911 without a round in the chamber, hammer back, and safety on. I could be wrong... but I don't think theres a law against that.. I think he was trying to scare me and he threatened taking my gun and melting it and ****. They straight busted up in my buddies house because someone called about a while mitsubishi and a guy was hangin out flashing a gun......between midnight and 1.... who the **** saw that? BESIDES THE FACT that **** wasn't me. My gun hadn't left the holster from this morning till the cop pulled it out. Pulled the bullets out my clips. Finally he told me the gun was in a drawer and my bullets were in the kitchen, and i could get them when they had left. They then came back and said someone else had to come get the gun. I'mp just surprised I made it to a safe location with my gun ammo and freedom. wtf
Old 02-04-2011, 06:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to read up on gun laws to protect yourself against cops like that. I would post this in the racers lounge, there are law enforcement guys there that can give you some better answers. Check out some of the concealed carry forums and register to one of them.

Being able to carry a gun on your side with no bullets is just as bad as just not carrying one at all.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Not carrying one in the chamber is just silly. My pistol permit does specifically say I can not carry while drinking but I'm in a different county.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

I've read the laws, read the book, been on the ccw forums, the open carry forums, I think he was yanking my chain, but still he was the only cop I've ever seen that actually knew how to operate a 1911. He had the pistol marksman badge.. maybe that couldve been why he said that. No other officer has had a problem with one in the chamber,
I didn't buy a really expensive pair of shitty brass knuckles. This is one reason I like this state, they don't mind cars and guns
Old 02-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Yeah he was def trying to scare you. I have been pulled over serveral times and never been given grief about having one in the chamber.

I actually just got pulled over about 2 weeks ago by a state trooper for fish tailing will leaving my house Well he came to me window and asked what my hurry was and I said nothing but I have a gun so he had me get out of the car asked for my permit then where my gun was. I was wearing a shoulder harness under my jacket so I opened that side of my jacket and he went for the phone in my pocket inside of my glock 26 that was just hanging there When he went for my phone I told him that was my phone then he saw my gun and asked my I had such a big gun. My answer was for personel protection which he responded If I was scared of stuff in Deastville(small town I live in) and here is were I turn into a smart *** and asked if he ever watched the news . This is the first time I have ever been questioned about why I had my gun I was kinda taken by suprise. Good news is I got out of any ticket

Anyway sorry for the thought I would share my recent encounter with the law
Old 02-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Weapons permits are a tricky subject and vary so much I really doubt the legislature's of states know all the legal grounds reguarding some of the weapon laws they create. Weapons and carry permit laws have truly become much to complicated in many areas for the common individual to interpret 100%, and that includes police.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

in TN you can't have your weapon on you if you're drinking....i think they changed it, but when i got my permit, you couldn't carry your weapon anywhere alcohol was being served, whether you were drinking or not.......all of the other stuff he said is bullshit, cocked and locked is the only effective way to carry a single action 1911 for defense......you don't have to answer any of his bullshit questions, you can remain silent whether you're under arrest or not.....just cooperate with what he yells you to do.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

im in florence but i never tell them when they pull me over.they never ask i never tell.i was wondering the other day if i can have one in the chamber in my slim 40.i have a fully loaded sks in the trunk with 150 40cal rounds for my slim (was going shoting but it got canceled). they might freak out if they searched my car but theres nothin they can do.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 30th6
im in florence but i never tell them when they pull me over.they never ask i never tell.i was wondering the other day if i can have one in the chamber in my slim 40.i have a fully loaded sks in the trunk with 150 40cal rounds for my slim (was going shoting but it got canceled). they might freak out if they searched my car but theres nothin they can do.

I tell them I have a pistol and a permit as soon as they walk to the door. You dont have to I just do it out of courtesy to the officer it tends to help get me out of whatever situation that I have gotten into.

Me and a buudy were going to go shot and had about 3 assult rifles couple of shotguns another bolt action rifle and 2 pistols and thought if we got pulled over it would be funny to tell a cop about our arsenal
Old 03-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

JC98----- That's exactly what I did. Sat there and kept my mouth shut. After they realized they couldn't do anything to me because it would have been illegal search and seizure, and everything was legal. Come to find out, the apartment manager was the one who called the cops.. He was up there in my friend's apartment drinking beers. Another guy that was there when the police kicked the door in just happened to have a white Mitsubishi. Now that apartment manager is skating on thin ice because he's being accused of impersonating an officer... uh oh.... cool guy huh?

A girl's dad I know is x-military and he carries everywhere. 1911, cocked and locked. In the restaurant drinking those German liter beers, EVERYWHERE. I don't know if he was different rules than me or you or us but when that was, and I figured out we were drinking a liter of Oktoberfest, I took my gun to the car. He asked me why the hell i would do that and I told him what I read in the book and he told me about how he carries everywhere no matter what, and they go out drinking alot.

I would like to know some of the laws that might now be in the book or what works and what doesn't. They say hand the officer your license and permit if you get pulled over. My dad said he got pulled over by a state trooper one time and didn't say **** about a gun, and was sitting on the old Hi-Power he gave me. (**** marked from Belgium my grandfather scored in WWII, but that's a different story)

About moving this thread to bench racing, I think keeping it local forum would bring more relevant responses to AL carry laws.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP: You need to call the department and ask to speak to a supervisor and make a complaint against that officer. You'll likely have to go to the department (where you can't carry your gun in) to fill out some paperwork and answer some questions. That officer violated your rights. You had your pistol and had a valid permit. Whatever the loaded condition of your pistol is a non-issue. Just don't drop the issue that he violated your right to carry. Pigs like that shouldn't be working on the streets.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Swiat34
OP: You need to call the department and ask to speak to a supervisor and make a complaint against that officer. You'll likely have to go to the department (where you can't carry your gun in) to fill out some paperwork and answer some questions. That officer violated your rights. You had your pistol and had a valid permit. Whatever the loaded condition of your pistol is a non-issue. Just don't drop the issue that he violated your right to carry. Pigs like that shouldn't be working on the streets.
Thank you. Thats the type of answer i was looking for. If it's like anything else I've had to deal with trying to get any thing at all out of an officer after he leaves you with a piece of paper, I think it's still going to be a futile effort. But we'll see..
Old 03-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jc98ss
in TN you can't have your weapon on you if you're drinking....i think they changed it, but when i got my permit, you couldn't carry your weapon anywhere alcohol was being served, whether you were drinking or not.......all of the other stuff he said is bullshit, cocked and locked is the only effective way to carry a single action 1911 for defense......you don't have to answer any of his bullshit questions, you can remain silent whether you're under arrest or not.....just cooperate with what he yells you to do.
In Texas you can not carry a pistol in any establishment if 51% of the profits are from Alcohol. Which would be Bar, Clubs e.g. I believe the law code is 30.06 Each state that has the CHL has different rules. I have had CHL in both Texas and Oklahoma. Here's a question for the cop. What if you weapon is a Revolver? I have not read Alabamas laws yet but will be updating my CHL very soon.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 AM

Default AL Gun Laws

If you AL citizens want to know the gun laws of our state, go to Alabama Open Carry at aloc.info. Briefly, you can open carry, without a license, if you are on foot. You need a concealed license to cover your pistol or carry in a vehicle. Unless your license SPECIFICALLY states you can't carry in a bar, there is no law forbidding it. There is also no law about carrying a pistol with a round in the chamber. I used to live in Colbert and Lauderdale counties and now reside in HSV. If you are interested in you right to bear arms, please join us at Alabama Open Carry. Remember my screen name and meet us over at ALOC. We have weekly meet ups in HSV and we are working to do the same in the Shoals.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on making a complaint...Officers are in place to "Serve and Protect" not to be ******** to law abiding citizens.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

does anyone no if its legal to have a 20 round detachable clip on a russian sks in lauderdale county?im useing them but was wandering if they were legal,i no some states make you have so many american made parts if you put on detachable mags.

Quick Reply: HSV AL police give trouble with pistol permit