Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Alabama State Troopers are sneaky

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alabama State Troopers are sneaky

so me and a friend are riding up 65 back to huntsville from birmingham in his 98 T/A and as we were coming through cullman i saw a ford explorer on the right parked underneath an overpass with its hatch raised and i didn't think anything of it, we were moving along alright at about 90-95ish, there was a trooper on the side with someone pulled over so we slowed down a bit, went a little further there was about 10-12 troopers and a couple of unmarked, all with people pulled over. come to find out that they run the radar out the back of the explorer and 5-6 troopers wait on the entry ramp, so if anyone takes 65 north watch for parked explorers with their hatch up..just thought i would let yall know if anyone plans to take 65 up to Bowling Green or just in general....

peace
Old 09-06-2005, 03:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They like to run unmarked cars here, down to the civilian license plate, and no visible lights on the car, they just have the led flashers in the stock lenses.

The State Capitol Police around the Gump have taken to using a Ford Taurus lately, to combat street racing.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you cant tell that it is a unmarked car, you do not have to stop b/c of saftey reasons. I have already checked this out.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info the wife and I make that run to North Alabama all the time I've seen the troopers in packs during different times mainly holiday times but didnt know that they caught people like that. Amazing!
Old 09-06-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I pretty sure that in the state of Georgia, traffic enforcement has to be done with visablably marked cars. Don't know about Alabama though. If anyone knows for sure, please post up.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think your right on that one Judd, i dont know for a fact but i've never seen an unmarked doing anything like that around here. ill ask my neighbor next time im at home for a weekend or something...hes the commander of the Atl. area SWAT and Captain of one of the Atlanta area precinct(sp?) so i got this feeling he'll know lol
Old 09-06-2005, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ATCFLYBOY02
If you cant tell that it is a unmarked car, you do not have to stop b/c of saftey reasons. I have already checked this out.
That is true...
Old 09-06-2005, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

yea you would think running radar out of a civilian vehicle with regular plates would be illegal but they do it so i don't guess it is. i've had a few run ins with the state, one night i was riding down one of the highways around here and i see something in the turning lane and i couldn't make it out, it was a trooper sitting in the middle of the turning lane with no lights on what so ever, he about got a carfull of f-body i swerved and missed him but he never turned his lights on and never came after me but the trooper office did get a call and i let them know i was angry. and also in alabama if a trooper writes you a ticket and he doesn't have his hat on you can have the ticket thrown out, i found out this info after i got a ticket from one, but good luck arguing with an officer over that one unless you got a picture phone haha....
Old 09-06-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran

As for Alabama, watch out for the cops shooting lazer off off the bridge over passes over I20 a few miles outside of Anniston also, they will gun you and have 7-10 cars cars come off of the on ramp to wright you up....yeah fixing to pay the asshats 179 for a 89 in a 70 this month.... cours I have gotten away with 90 plus 2 times a month for 4 years before this bust......
Old 09-06-2005, 11:28 PM
FormerVendor

What classifies an "Emergency vehicle" Is audible siren and visible red/blue/clear whatever lights. The Vehicle does not have to be marked. The vehicle running radar does not have to be visible. What you saw today on the interstate is known as a "Saturation" Which to us is finding a problem area and swamping it with whatever it takes to cease the problem.

Getting a ticket from a Trooper without a hat on?? Give me a break, some people need to get a grip. YOU did wrong, YOU get a ticket, who gives a damn if a Trooper has a piece of uniform or not. Just cause he doesn't have a hat on doesn't make it ok for you to speed. (this isn't directed towards anyone, just a addtional note to ssmongoose02)

I am a Local LEO BTW.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sean@Speedsouth
What classifies an "Emergency vehicle" Is audible siren and visible red/blue/clear whatever lights. The Vehicle does not have to be marked. The vehicle running radar does not have to be visible. What you saw today on the interstate is known as a "Saturation" Which to us is finding a problem area and swamping it with whatever it takes to cease the problem.

Getting a ticket from a Trooper without a hat on?? Give me a break, some people need to get a grip. YOU did wrong, YOU get a ticket, who gives a damn if a Trooper has a piece of uniform or not. Just cause he doesn't have a hat on doesn't make it ok for you to speed. (this isn't directed towards anyone, just a addtional note to ssmongoose02)

I am a Local LEO BTW.

Sean I agree with you 100% on the uniform deal...but I make that trip 2 times monthly(for 6 years now) from the ATL to B'ham, I guess LEO is Law Enforcement Officer.(correct?) but what I have a problem with is the change in speed limits for the areas under reconstruction, you know(fines doubled if workers present) to me that is a free ticket(pardon the pun) to write fines much higher than normal In effect the state can generate twice the normal intake of funds for traffic citations If you are on this board I bet you agree with me that interstate traffic has a lot lower propencity for injury/death than local highway/sidestreet does and that most states enjoy most of their funds from these fines. I am sorry but 70 mph should be the minimum on interstates,other countries have proven this to be true. If 70 mph is the law so be it, but dont double the fine just cause you put up some cones and it is allowed by law...sorry but that is BS
Old 09-06-2005, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

I am a Local LEO BTW.

#1- i never said it was ok to speed, and if i do get a ticket i do pay for it and i don't think anymore about it unless its unjust and the officer was in the wrong so please don't put words in my mouth and #2 the hat issue was a piece of information that came to my knowledge that i found suprising because i didn't know it was important to writing a citation and i thought that i would pass it along and it wasn't meant to offend a LEO so would u please get off my back about it, i would greatly appreciate it....

Last edited by SSMongoose02; 09-07-2005 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am a Local LEO BTW.
Nice helpfull statement with out a hint of sarcasm. All you had to say was something like "Nope, they don't have to be visably marked to run RADAR".

O-well, I thought I had read somthing about it once in a list of traffic enforcement laws that police have to follow. You know, stuff like being visable for so many feet or having to have the road approved for running radar. But hey, it's OK man,,,, cops really don't have to follow any rules or make cases while working within the law.

BTW, this isn't directed towards anyone in particular.

Last edited by Judd; 09-07-2005 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:33 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSMongoose02
#1- i never said it was ok to speed, and if i do get a ticket i do pay for it and i don't think anymore about it unless its unjust and the officer was in the wrong so please don't put words in my mouth and #2 the hat issue was a piece of information that came to my knowledge that i found suprising because i didn't know it was important to writing a citation and i thought that i would pass it along and it wasn't meant to offend a LEO so would u please get off my back about it, i would greatly appreciate it....
Since we are counting #1, I didn't put any words anywhere I posted a follow-up in relation to the context in your post, not towards you in general. #2, I was just making a blount statement in relation to a post and maybe clearing up some misleading information. Relax, I'm not out to anbody.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:43 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Judd
Nice helpfull answer statement with out a hint of sarcasm. All you had to say was something like "Nope, they don't have to be visably marked to run RADAR".

O-well, I thought I had read somthing about it once in a list of traffic enforcement laws that police have to follow. You know, stuff like being visable for so many feet or having to have the road approved for running radar. But hey, it's OK man,,,, cops really don't have to follow any rules or make cases while working within the law.

BTW, this isn't directed towards anyone in particular.
Thought I would go a little more in depth in my explaination to make it understood.

You thought you read something about it in a list of traffic laws.
There isn't one in Alabama, but hey, who knows, Georgia may be different.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

Since we are counting #1, I didn't put any words anywhere I posted a follow-up in relation to the context in your post, not towards you in general. #2, I was just making a blount statement in relation to a post and maybe clearing up some misleading information. Relax, I'm not out to anbody.

well i figured it was towards me since my handle was included and im not disrespecting LEOs for doing their job but me and my friends do kinda get picked on in some parts around here because we are 18-20 year olds and we have quick cars and there are countless incidents of being harassed for simply gathering in a parking lot to just hang out so i mean no disrepect i just thought you were pointing fingers...
Old 09-07-2005, 12:54 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ss rally red
Sean I agree with you 100% on the uniform deal...but I make that trip 2 times monthly(for 6 years now) from the ATL to B'ham, I guess LEO is Law Enforcement Officer.(correct?) but what I have a problem with is the change in speed limits for the areas under reconstruction, you know(fines doubled if workers present) to me that is a free ticket(pardon the pun) to write fines much higher than normal In effect the state can generate twice the normal intake of funds for traffic citations If you are on this board I bet you agree with me that interstate traffic has a lot lower propencity for injury/death than local highway/sidestreet does and that most states enjoy most of their funds from these fines. I am sorry but 70 mph should be the minimum on interstates,other countries have proven this to be true. If 70 mph is the law so be it, but dont double the fine just cause you put up some cones and it is allowed by law...sorry but that is BS
I agree, which is why, (unless otherwise directed) I won't write in the Construction Zones, that is way over the top to double the fines. I mean, yea its a little more dangerous to speed in Construction Zones, and people have been hit, but hey, accidents happen and not just on the road. Every occupation has its accidents.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:03 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSMongoose02
well i figured it was towards me since my handle was included and im not disrespecting LEOs for doing their job but me and my friends do kinda get picked on in some parts around here because we are 18-20 year olds and we have quick cars and there are countless incidents of being harassed for simply gathering in a parking lot to just hang out so i mean no disrepect i just thought you were pointing fingers...
Oh believe me, I have a 1999 hugger orange Z28, and I get picked on all the time. I also have a 2001 Firebird Formula with Head/ Cam/ Stalll ect. (11.3x 1/4 mile) to which I barely drive. You have to kinda understand that we (LEO's) have seen, on several occasions, first hand what car accidents can do, and its nothing worse than making that call to somebody's parents/ loved ones that they have been injured/killed in a car accident. So we do try to make some preventative maintinance. Don't take it to heart, its just something we do.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

You thought you read something about it in a list of traffic laws.
There isn't one in Alabama, but hey, who knows, Georgia may be different.
\

So, in Alabama cops can run RADAR while hiding behind signs or otherwise not visible {speed trap}? In Alabama, cops do not need to be trained and certified in RADAR or Laser use? Alabama roads do not need to be certified for use with radar? So in other words, they just give you a RADAR or Laser gun and say "Have at"? Somehow, I don't think so. There are a bunch of laws governing how LE can use RADAR or Laser in traffic enforcement {alot more than I can remember}, at least in Georgia.

BTW, not sparring. Just trying to glean some info.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The sneakiest cops are the bike cops. You never seem em coming, or guning you with the radar. Montgomery cops are famous for that.

Quick Reply: Alabama State Troopers are sneaky