Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Tuning,Thunder Racing or Futural Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning,Thunder Racing or Futural Motorsports

Which 1 would you guys go with?I live in Gulfport so it's gonna be one of them.Thunder said $550 for a tune dont know how much Futural charges.Also will be having a shift kit and Stall(VIG3200 or Yank3600) installed 2.Iv heard good things about both in earlier talks.Kinda wanna have it done around the week of April 15th to be able to go to the F-body shootout.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't really tell you who to pick , but I will tell you this: If you go to Thunder, don't leave your girlfriend or your beer alone with MADMAN!
Old 03-01-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

give the shops a call. you cant go wrong with either IMO. go with whom you are most comfortable with
Old 03-01-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have never had a problem with thunder racing but I have never had any business with futural. Both are good companies thunder racing are always backed up just give both of them a call.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Banned

Neigther.

For the same $500 you can buy hptuners and get a dead on street tune at part throttle/everything and you can keep re-doing it to perfection as you add more mods.

With a dyno tune they only do wide open throttle air/fuel and add some spark, change the fans, shift points.

Most of the time they just dump in a pre-loaded tune based on similar cars they've done in the past.

If you saw what you actually got for a $500 dyno tune it would make you sick.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:37 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Dyno tunes are highway robbery, but for somebody who has no mechanical skill or tuning ability it's worth getting the car done "right".

FWIW, Alan @ FMS picked up a TON of midrange power on my old combo over an already MTI tuned car.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

i would go see thunder way better customer service
Old 03-01-2007, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

Alan futural is the man when it comes to tuning. I would say take it there. He has proven it time and time again. They did my custom cam and works killer
Old 03-01-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 00TurboT/A
Alan futural is the man when it comes to tuning. I would say take it there. He has proven it time and time again. They did my custom cam and works killer
Old 03-01-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
Neigther.

For the same $500 you can buy hptuners and get a dead on street tune at part throttle/everything and you can keep re-doing it to perfection as you add more mods.

With a dyno tune they only do wide open throttle air/fuel and add some spark, change the fans, shift points.

Most of the time they just dump in a pre-loaded tune based on similar cars they've done in the past.

While I can't speak for other tuners or their work, I have no trouble getting fuel trims and other such items pretty much dead on. I have a VERY long list of satisfied clients to prove such also.

I'm not trying to come across as a dick, but you probably shouldn't generalize about ANYONE'S work without seeing it first hand.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Damian

Dyno tunes are highway robbery, but for somebody who has no mechanical skill or tuning ability it's worth getting the car done "right".

FWIW, Alan @ FMS picked up a TON of midrange power on my old combo over an already MTI tuned car.

Unless you were on the same dyno on the same weather conditions...You can't be sure of what you are getting. Also just because a particular 'tune' makes more power on a Dyno Jet, doesn't necessarily translate to better track times. I have definitely gone faster in the past by tuning in a manner that didn't make 'best' power on the dyno.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Banned

^^ Hey.. I'm talking about value.... can you do better than a dead-on street tune.. and re-tune it time and again as mods are added for the same $500 investment?

NO.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:49 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Unless you were on the same dyno on the same weather conditions...You can't be sure of what you are getting. Also just because a particular 'tune' makes more power on a Dyno Jet, doesn't necessarily translate to better track times. I have definitely gone faster in the past by tuning in a manner that didn't make 'best' power on the dyno.
Geoff, my car trapped 2.5 more mph after Alan's tune and midrange TQ difference was HUGE. Are you implying that Alan's tune didnt make more power and i'm jumping to conclusions??

I am not telling people not to go to TR racing for tuning. I've always been a fan of you guys. But IMO Alan is the best tuner asked about in this thread. His tuning abilities have been proven 100's of times in this state alone.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:16 AM
On The Tree

I can't speak of FMS but i've heard alot of bad things on him.Geoff at Thunder has took alot of time helping me work the bugs out of my car.He's been patient and helpful.He really knows his stuff
Old 03-02-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Damian
Geoff, my car trapped 2.5 more mph after Alan's tune and midrange TQ difference was HUGE. Are you implying that Alan's tune didnt make more power and i'm jumping to conclusions??

I am not telling people not to go to TR racing for tuning. I've always been a fan of you guys. But IMO Alan is the best tuner asked about in this thread. His tuning abilities have been proven 100's of times in this state alone.

I'm not implying ANYTHING about his tune...other than the fact that I have seen a lot of people with tunes from various people that simply don't work properly at the track.

Time and time again I have seen cars that make good power on a DynoJet Dyno that don't work properly at the track.

In your original post you just mentioned that you made more midrange horespower on a dyno over your MTI Tune, but didn't mention what your car did at the track. If your car did pick up 2.5 MPH under the same conditions at the track, then your tune was better and I am not talking about you.

I just wanted to point out that a tune shouldn't be judged on dyno numbers alone. Sorry if you thought I was picking on you or Alan.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Regular

^^ Hey.. I'm talking about value.... can you do better than a dead-on street tune.. and re-tune it time and again as mods are added for the same $500 investment?

NO.
I'm really not here to argue...but you originally said that all that happens in a dyno tune is that the shop adjusts the PE, Shift points, and fan settings. Basically implying that it is a 30 minute job other than a few dyno pulls.

There probably is some truth to what you are saying...but my point is that it isn't always true. Some tuners can do a damn good job of getting the tune 'dead on' as far as idle, part throttle, and do spend quite a bit of time to make it right.

I was just trying to make the point that you can't generalize about 'dyno tunes' without knowing what the particular tuner is actually doing.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

I've heard good about both. I've never heard anything bad about Allan cakweems. I've never done business w/either one, yet. I've spoke w/them in the past. Either way, I think someone down there will be seeing my car for a retune esp. if I put another cam in the car.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I will start out by saying that I have not been tuned by either shop...Mike and Ron @ Vengeance have been doing the tuning on my car and I cannot complane at all about it..I know a few people that have had their cars tuned by Alan Futral (Ron for one) and they have been pleased with the results...I have delt with Geoff at Thunder and he was very helpful in helping me with a custom cam purchase. I have never heard anything but positive results from people that I know that have delt with Thunder Racing. Both shops have been around for quite a while on the LSX scene and have good reputations. I do not think you could go wrong with either one. Have I muddied up the water enough yet...
Old 03-02-2007, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

Allen hands down his tune is 550 thats what I paid him to do mine
and I can't complain.

not to bash on thunder because I do buy parts from them.
But one of my buddys had his car tune by thunder and then a year or 2 later went to Futral and Allen got like 30 more rwhp out of his car with the same setup
Old 03-02-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Neigther.

If you go out and buy a bunch of surgical tools does it make you a doctor? NO. Same thing can be said for tuning, just because you have a laptop and a tuning program doesnt guarantee you know what you are doing.

When your paying for a dyno tune your not just paying for a tune your paying the experience and expertise of the person doing the work. But not all tuners are equal some do load basic tunes while others do complete custom tunes. Your best bet is to call and discuss with the shop what your interested and feel them out as far as how comfortable you feel with their knowledge.

Quick Reply: Tuning,Thunder Racing or Futural Motorsports