Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

WS6 vs. Firehawk

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WS6 vs. Firehawk

For some reason I thought I read somewhere that SLP does not do the WS6 option for the Trans Am's. I know they do the Firehawk, but wasn't sure on the WS6. Anyone know for sure?
Old 04-28-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Correct. SLP does the Firehawk and some company by ASC or ACS does the WS6.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:08 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's ASC (American Sunroof Co.)
Old 04-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Banned

ASC stands for American Specialty Cars Now you know.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:07 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

They only just changed their name to American Specialty Cars last year, they were called American Sunroof Company for the 39 years before that, including at the time when the WS6s were being made

http://autos.msn.com/as/article.aspx...ow2004&src=GBT
http://www.ascglobal.com/profile/history.htm
Old 04-30-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SLP I think used to do the WS6 package on the old LT1 cars. I may be wrong.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:09 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Angus
SLP I think used to do the WS6 package on the old LT1 cars. I may be wrong.
Yep SLP in 1996-1997, ASC in 1998-2002.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....8&postcount=40
Old 04-30-2005, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

My dad is looking at a 2002 Trans-am WS-6 at a car dealer. It has special edition badging on it and slp badging (it is not the 35th anniv yellow T/A.). It also has slp mods with documentation and the signature of Mr. Hamburger (owner of SLP) inside the engine bay. So how cant slp do the WS-6 option if this car has it or is this different?
Old 05-02-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone can put SLP badges on their car. You can buy the chrome ones directly from them. And SLP hosts shows once a year for people who buy their products. It was probably signed at that time.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

I also think that you could order SLP options on the LS1 cars (SS's & WS6's) through SOME dealerships.....that is another way it could possibly be like it is. Does the dealership the car is at have any extra info on that car?
Old 05-05-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rottluver
I also think that you could order SLP options on the LS1 cars (SS's & WS6's) through SOME dealerships.....that is another way it could possibly be like it is. Does the dealership the car is at have any extra info on that car?
For the SLP options the cars had to be shipped to New Jersey to get SLP to do the work. I've never heard of a non-Firehawk/SS get SLP factory options.

Although you can get some similar options, such as similar rear end gearing and the 2001-2002 cars also got the LS6 Intake. But as far as the lid and exhaust or suspension components SLP had to do it.

Not to say a dealership didn't mod the car themselves and sell it that way. That happens too.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Firehawk0220
For the SLP options the cars had to be shipped to New Jersey to get SLP to do the work. I've never heard of a non-Firehawk/SS get SLP factory options.

Although you can get some similar options, such as similar rear end gearing and the 2001-2002 cars also got the LS6 Intake. But as far as the lid and exhaust or suspension components SLP had to do it.

Not to say a dealership didn't mod the car themselves and sell it that way. That happens too.
I think you misunderstood me.....when I said you could order a car through some dealerships, I meant ORDER it....as in, they (the dealer) fills out the paperwork, you put down a deposit for the car and you get it built exactly how you want it....if that means that GM ships it to SLP before the dealer gets delivery, then that is what would happen.........I didn't mean you could get the parts over the counter at your local GM dealership like you used to be able to do in the early days of SLP.

Now not a lot of dealerships would do this, but there were a few here and there that would take those orders for customers.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rottluver
I think you misunderstood me.....when I said you could order a car through some dealerships, I meant ORDER it....as in, they (the dealer) fills out the paperwork, you put down a deposit for the car and you get it built exactly how you want it....if that means that GM ships it to SLP before the dealer gets delivery, then that is what would happen.........I didn't mean you could get the parts over the counter at your local GM dealership like you used to be able to do in the early days of SLP.

Now not a lot of dealerships would do this, but there were a few here and there that would take those orders for customers.
Hmmm, I don't know if I believe this one, ...
We need proof.
I think someone was confused when they told you that & they were actually referring to the Firehawk.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Hmmm, I don't know if I believe this one, ...
We need proof.
I think someone was confused when they told you that & they were actually referring to the Firehawk.
WE NEED PROOF???? No, you may WANT proof, but I don't know what to tell ya. Since GM doesn't sell the cars anymore I guess you can just not friggin believe me cuz I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to get you this "proof". And to be totally honest, I just don't care. Believe me, don't believe me, I won't lose a second of sleep over this either way. I was offering up a potential possibilty for how the car in question got the options it has......I didn't put my hand on the Bible and swear I was right, I just said what I remembered from several years ago.
I know I read it in a couple magazines over the years but I didn't get them notarized so I guess you are just S.O.L.

Last edited by Rottluver; 05-07-2005 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

who cares?
Old 05-07-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Coy
who cares?
The guy who asked for proof apparently LOL
Old 05-08-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Hell, I was just wondering if it could be true, ...
I doubt it, but damn, didn't mean to get anyone's panties in a wad, ...

And so as far as that goes, I still think it's , ...

But that's okay, lets just go with the thought that you could walk into a GM dealership & special order a car with SLP options.
(IMO, I would assume then that you got a an SS, an RS, a Firehawk, or a Firebird GT, ..., or any one of the other specialty vehicles from SLP, ...)
Old 05-08-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Hell, I was just wondering if it could be true, ...
I doubt it, but damn, didn't mean to get anyone's panties in a wad, ...

And so as far as that goes, I still think it's , ...

But that's okay, lets just go with the thought that you could walk into a GM dealership & special order a car with SLP options.
(IMO, I would assume then that you got a an SS, an RS, a Firehawk, or a Firebird GT, ..., or any one of the other specialty vehicles from SLP, ...)
Whatever dude, you can believe or not believe anything you care to.......doesn't matter one bit to me one way or the other.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

You could not order Blistien suspension or any other SLP only option on anything but a Firehawk or SS Camaro. If you disagree with that, then we seek proof as the general concensus is no. It couldn't be done.

That's not to say you couldn't order many of the parts from SLP and have a dealer install them, or that the dealership wouldn't do it for you.

But from the Factory, no. Didn't work that way. Once the dealer got the car in the dealership they could do what they wanted, but from GM you couldn't do it. SLP had to install those options and they would only do so on the Firehawk or SS Camaro.

Anything the dealership does to a car is still aftermarket.

Case in point, until recently you couldn't order many SLP parts for these cars without providing a VIN number to SLP over the phone. Logos and the hoods specifically were two such items.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea 220! Thanks for the support!

Quick Reply: WS6 vs. Firehawk