Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

rarest f-bodys ever made!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:52 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gordon
Since this thread is still going I still have to Vote for the 89 Turbo TA to be the rearest F-Body. I mean you cant call a Paint scheme rare or a transmision option a rare car. The turbo trans am is a rare car through and through!
So if I understand that correctly, you're saying that the one 1969 Trans Am they made with a red interior isn't more rare, and isn't worth more than the other 696 that had blue interiors?

Personally, I'd like to believe you're right... but reality and the car collector world paint a much different picture.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Legit Original Yenko Camaro
Old 02-25-2007, 07:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once again 89 Turbo TA with a Buick motor a special hand built 200 R4 tranny and a 1LE package with quick change Corvette brakes. 1551 made by the factory and sold for over 30k ( Window sticker 31plus ). These were made by GM and not sold only to private individuals as a one off car. They were sold to select Pontiac dealers across the US and Canada.
Or if you want to get rare they made one or two of these in a different color and sold to a rich select friend of a high up GM man.
Come on guys cars with a rare interior is cool or a special paint scheme is ok but a car with a Buick motor and tranny is off the charts. These car handle like they are on rails even compared tosay a 2002 WS6, they handle ahead of their time!
Old 02-25-2007, 11:09 AM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Mr. Gordon your post absolutely humbles me. You, and you alone, in my modest opinion have probably summed up the essence of rarity. May I also commend you on your choice of words that so eloquently express your well thought out opinion.

You stand out as an exemplary member of this fine forum and I consider myself fortunate that I can proudly proclaim; "I once posted in the same thread"! God bless you.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:49 AM
NEW
Staging Lane

Many things can make a car rare, colours, options, history and eventually all kinds of other things we can come up with..

But RARE doesnt always mean desireable,

and what i mean then is that it just isnt wanted dead or alive, even if you can prove that it is the one of a hundred thousand 6 bangers with pink cloth interior or whatsoever.

NEW
Old 02-25-2007, 12:50 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Once again 89 Turbo TA with a Buick motor a special hand built 200 R4 tranny and a 1LE package with quick change Corvette brakes. 1551 made by the factory and sold for over 30k ( Window sticker 31plus ). These were made by GM and not sold only to private individuals as a one off car. They were sold to select Pontiac dealers across the US and Canada.
Or if you want to get rare they made one or two of these in a different color and sold to a rich select friend of a high up GM man.
Come on guys cars with a rare interior is cool or a special paint scheme is ok but a car with a Buick motor and tranny is off the charts. These car handle like they are on rails even compared tosay a 2002 WS6, they handle ahead of their time!
They made Trans Ams with an Oldsmobile motor in the 70's, and that wasn't particularly "off the charts". 1551 built isn't especially rare... there are much rarer models... A plain jane 1972 Trans Am is more rare than a TTA... I think certain people just overhype their "mystique" because of the GN connection.

For example, and '91/'92 Firehawk is FAR more rare, far more oddball, and far more collectible... 25 total over two model years... 21 of them were red, and the rest were 1 each in aqua, white, blue, and green. And ONE was built as a convertible... Now THAT'S a rare car.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Launching!

And that one convertable was also the only Firehawk based off of a T/A. Ed Hamburgers personal ride I believe. I have seen the green one and it is beautiful.
Either way I would love to own one(either the TTA or Hawk). They made around 508 92 GTA's but they will never be worth as much as a TTA, even though they made three times as many. Numbers don't always equal worth.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

A plain jane 1972 Trans Am is more rare than a TTA...
So I guess the 89 TTA with cloth seats and no T-tops is less rare. They made only a handfull in that manner. Most were like mine with leather and T-tops. I for one like the TTA for the fact of it being a rare car sold in dealerships to the masses. And yes a 89 TTA with cloth and no T-tops was almost a single digit run sold in public to the public. Although you may be right about the 91 Firehawks.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:06 PM
teh PuRpL3z

A plain jane 1972 Trans Am is more rare than a TTA...
So I guess the 89 TTA with cloth seats and no T-tops is less rare. They made only a handfull in that manner. Most were like mine with leather and T-tops. I for one like the TTA for the fact of it being a rare car sold in dealerships to the masses. And yes a 89 TTA with cloth and no T-tops was almost a single digit run sold in public to the public. Although you may be right about the 91 Firehawks.
My numbers on the '91 Firehawks are correct, yes. I think the only reason the TTA had such low production numbers is that $30K was a lot to pay for a 3rd Gen F-body in the late 80's... no matter how fast it was... but again... 1551 cars built isn't all that rare.

And yes, a 1972 Trans Am, regardless of options, was more rare. Total production of 1,286 cars. That was the second lowest year of total production, 1969 being the lowest with 697.

Out of those, 458 were M22 Muncie 4-speeds, and 828 were TH400 autos. I don't have any stats as far as breakdown of color, options, etc... they were only available in 2 colors that year... Cameo White, and Lucerne Blue. If you had a Lucerne Blue 4-speed.. you're probably looking at around 1 of 200 or less.

1972 was the year of the big autoworkers strike, and it completely shut down the '72 model year production. By the time the strike was over, they scrapped something like 2100 cars that were on the line in various stages of production, and moved on to the '73 model year.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:10 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by QuickT/A
And that one convertable was also the only Firehawk based off of a T/A. Ed Hamburgers personal ride I believe. I have seen the green one and it is beautiful.
Either way I would love to own one(either the TTA or Hawk). They made around 508 92 GTA's but they will never be worth as much as a TTA, even though they made three times as many. Numbers don't always equal worth.
Here it is...

Old 02-25-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

That first pic is really strange...it looks like someone drew the car in MS Paint or something. It doesn' t look real, but no matter....that' s a sweet ******* car!!
Old 02-25-2007, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of these had the vette ZF 6 speed. I would call a 89TTA 6 speed one of the best perfoming rare pontiac's out there. Also had a factory installed roll bar. There was also a twin turbo GTA in blue
Old 02-25-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
A couple of these had the vette ZF 6 speed. I would call a 89TTA 6 speed one of the best perfoming rare pontiac's out there. Also had a factory installed roll bar.
That' s news to me, I thought the TTA ONLY came with an auto??
Old 02-25-2007, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Not the rarest but pretty rare, two blackbirds and an anniversary, belongs to the Sloan Family:

Old 02-25-2007, 05:36 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darth Z
That' s news to me, I thought the TTA ONLY came with an auto??
I'll bet you're both right!
Old 02-25-2007, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

They tried to put a manual in the TTAs but it was slow as crap due partly to lost boost between shifts. To my knoweledge all 1551 were all autos, two of which were not white. The rarest was the cloth seat no T-top option. These were the fastest as well due to being 150# lighter. My car is as fast as a basically stock LS1, thats about it, but you can just tighted the boost rod up to 20# and turn the fuel up , add a chip and they run 11,s.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Launching!

What were the colors of the other two? I had heard about a red one but I'm not sure.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car is as fast as a basically stock LS1, thats about it, but you can just tighted the boost rod up to 20# and turn the fuel up , add a chip and they run 11,s.
They are definitely bad *** cars. I read about one in a magazine, that went to a track day somewhere, and ran I think a 12.9 on the stock 2.77 gears!!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

people tell me my 98 hardtop ss is rare and white was not a very popular color for them....can anyone confirm this/know where i can get breakdowns? ive never seen another but it doesnt seem too out of the ordinary to me, just what i was told...maybe you guys know!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:30 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by 98hardtopSS
people tell me my 98 hardtop ss is rare and white was not a very popular color for them....can anyone confirm this/know where i can get breakdowns? ive never seen another but it doesnt seem too out of the ordinary to me, just what i was told...maybe you guys know!
White was the third most popular Camaro color for '98.

Quick Reply: rarest f-bodys ever made!!