383 Project Engine for Sale....

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 383 Project Engine for Sale....

Guys…

Looks like the time has come for me to finally pull my 383 project engine out of my C5.

To say it’s performed above my expectations would be an understatement and it’s reliability has also been rock solid.

Im moving forward with a larger displacement mill I hope to complete soon which will showcase the new 235 cathedral head I am putting the finishing touches on here at AFR. I hope to have the new combo on the dyno sometime before the end of the year.

Soooo….I will be selling my current combo after I disassemble, look everything over, and freshen it with new rings and bearings. Essentially it will be a new engine when I hand it over to whomever is interested. I can sell it turn-key in its current solid roller configuration, or turn it down a notch and install a hydraulic roller and 205 heads which should still clear the 500 RWHP mark and make even more low end torque. The bottom line is I am willing to set it up/build it in any configuration you may want so nothing is in stone.

In its current configuration it makes 610 FWHP with 523 Ft/lbs of TQ. In my C5 with an M6 and an efficient driveline it made 530-540 RWHP and 475-490 RWTQ depending on who’s dyno and the quality of the day. The nice thing about this package is it makes big power but is a little less likely to blow the tires off the road before the engine gets into the "jump to lightspeed" part of the power band. But even on Nitto’s in the lower gears on the street, going WOT early (so the car will hook), it can still violently blow them away when the engine RPM’s climb into the sweet spot (4500-7200 RPM’s). It would be a lot less likely to do that if you had the opportunity to heat the tires before hand. This combination is semi aggressive obviously but still docile enough to drive every day if you dont mind a bit of a lope at an idle. With a six speed overdrive trans you can easily knock down 20+ MPG on the freeway (My C5 with 3.90 gears gets about 23-24 MPG on long trips).

For some of the newer members and others that might not have seen this, here is a thread describing all the extensive testing and parts swapping (on a SuperFlow engine dyno) back in the summer of 05’

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=#post3530528

Here is a thread discussing the engine in its final solid roller configuration on the chassis dyno a few months later….

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=#post4208798

And hear are a few videos of this combination in action…..the first only minutes after rolling off the chassis dyno discussed above….

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...c851bf28ca.htm

The second, an “in car” vid of a track evening I attended last year where unfortunately I had issues with my linelock (no heater) which cost me an easy high ten second run (at a 1400 foot D/A) due to a much softer leave than I originally planned, traction, and high speed stability issues.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YLPEhoDvgiU

Note that this is obviously a proven and expensive combination to duplicate so please be realistic about potential pricing if you intend on contacting or PM'ing me. Basically I will be using most or all of the proceeds of this sale to finance the next build I am working on.

Im located about 45 minutes north of Los Angeles btw, and the engine wont be removed from the car for at least a few weeks in the event you live close and would like to actually experience it before considering your purchase.

Any questions just shoot me a PM or pick up the telephone....

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 11-07-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just discussing this engine build with a friend of mine, one hell of an engine Tony....... one hell of an engine.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHAT?! You're backing out on our DEAL?!

Originally Posted by Sharpe
You should start off with a whole new set up when you do.

It's your lucky day. I'll do you a favor right now and buy your C5's worn out, beat on, weak little 383, oil pan to intake, for $2,000 shipped. This is a one time offer so you better take it now and I'm sure you will.
Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Sharpe...

My 383 is junk and you would be overpaying me at 2K shipped....LOL

Would you take $1500??

I was serious!!!

...or turn it down a notch and install a hydraulic roller and 205 heads which should still clear the 500 RWHP mark and make even more low end torque.

What I wouldn't give for a Mamo hand-built, turn-key 383 engine... Custom cam... Ported 205 heads and FAST... Better dyno graph than Pat G...

Oh... "Money," that's what. 'Cause I don't have any. That's why my car is bolt-ons only!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you give us some sort of idea of the price range you are looking for.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter01z
Can you give us some sort of idea of the price range you are looking for.
It really depends on whether you really want this engine turn-key. Its a very expensive engine to duplicate with alot of custom touches which added to reliability and power output (ported oil galleys, honed w' ARP studs and a torque plate, align hone main caps with ARP Studs, coated pistons, cryogenically treated valve springs, etc. etc., etc.) Im very **** about my engine building and could write another couple of paragraghs about the extra small details.

Here is a quick rundown of just some parts so those contemplating something similar can appreciate what it takes...this doesnt include any of the little time consuming details (labor and machining time).

Shortblock(4340 crank, Callies rods, Mahle pistons, race prepped block) $3500
225 Heads with solid roller cryo'ed valvetrain $3000
Crane Shaftrocker $1200....machining and clearancing heads labor $400
Custom Solid Roller cam and Crower SR lifters w/ HIPPO option $1000
Ported 90mm induction $1800
ATI Harmonic balancer $500
Crane .080 wall Chrome Moly Pushrods $150
Ported OEM Oil pump $150
Cometic Gaskets $150
ARP Fasteners $400
Timing Chain Set (Comp) $100
Misc BS $500

Total in just the parts listed above with ZERO labor for blueprinting and assembly $12650. How's that for a wake up call to those of you that haven't built an engine of this caliber yet....those that have know what it costs to build a premium piece.

Also, anyone purchasing this engine would be getting a brand new freshly rebuilt version so that must be kept in mind.

I would sell this piece complete for 12K....you send me an oil pan and I would provide everything else (I'm keeping mine for my Vette obviously).

Now if someone didnt need the solid roller, already had a complete induction, didnt need the shaftrockers and 225 heads, want to run your stock dampener....obviously its a completely different story so the situation here is how would you like the engine built.

Anyone serious can feel free to call or PM me and we can discuss some options....

Thanks,
Tony

PS....Sharpe....for you I would still do it for 2 G's....LOL

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 11-08-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
PS....Sharpe....for you I would still do it for 2 G's....LOL
I'll think about it. No promises, though.

I did tell PewterZ28 that this shortblock would be great for him, though. You might recognize his thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=#post8087910

If he buys it I'll want commission. 50% sounds reasonable.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant stop watching it. Lot of interest in my sb Tone but none in the lb. This is perfect for what I want.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:02 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Very impressive.... and tempting.

I keep fighting this internal struggle right now... build another two car garage that's 24' x 28' or put in a 400+ cubic inch motor and put 500hp to the ground.....

Decisions decisions.

I appreciate your attention to detail though and good luck in finding a new home for the motor. One of these years I'll be in the market for a bigger motor and I'll be certain to give you a ring.

Quick Reply: 383 Project Engine for Sale....