Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post a picture? If you look at the first post/picture in this thread it shows what it should look like with the bottom taken off (stereo is upside down)
Old 04-21-2015, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason Novak
Can you post a picture? If you look at the first post/picture in this thread it shows what it should look like with the bottom taken off (stereo is upside down)
I won't be home from work til about 10:00 tonight so I probably can't post up any pictures tonight. If i can't, I definitely will tomorrow. It is the exact same radio that is in post #606 though. In the picture in that post where he has the face off and looking in, you can see the heat thing on the left that I was able to get off, but the wires that I need to get to are the ones on the right on that picture I believe. Looking at that picture, I'm honestly not sure how he spliced into thos wires even with the face off! lol
Old 04-21-2015, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1995_maro_z
I won't be home from work til about 10:00 tonight so I probably can't post up any pictures tonight. If i can't, I definitely will tomorrow. It is the exact same radio that is in post #606 though. In the picture in that post where he has the face off and looking in, you can see the heat thing on the left that I was able to get off, but the wires that I need to get to are the ones on the right on that picture I believe. Looking at that picture, I'm honestly not sure how he spliced into thos wires even with the face off! lol
Sorry, I'd missed some of pictures in #606, I recall Pontiac doing it differently now, with the board flipped and using the row of pin headers to connect the faceplate. I've done Pontiac CD units, but only have a picture of a tape unit - though it has the same board design, you can see it in post #48, I went in through the top. You can see it split open in that post. It's probably possible to do through the front, you can carefully unplug the cable and do the work around, still need to do a chassis ground and run the wires out the back if not doing a jack in the faceplate. I'll put the pictures here, along with another I haven't posted before

Old 04-21-2015, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the pictures. It was mentioned that the newer units had a different connection but the signal wires were the same, but I've never seen one. Good to see it and have it confirmed, I'm sure they'll help other people.

Here are some pics from the install I did on 99'CajunFirehawk157's cassette deck:

There are two connectors, the smaller one has the audio. It's the same two pins, but the channels seem to be reversed. I don't believe the wire on the end is a ground, I grounded it to the chassis.

Here it is all done. I drilled a hole in the back and used a grommet, and a big piece of heat shrink tubing on the connector for a cleaner install.

I found the post! haha How did you go about folding the top off like that? When I had my radio out, I literally took every screw that I could see out of it, and I could not figure out how to get inside. (except the hole behind the heat thing.)
Old 04-21-2015, 08:01 PM
Launching!

I remembered I still had a pontiac tape deck - you don't need to take it apart quite as much as the picture, basically take off the front, all held on with plastic clips. Once out, unhook the wire.

Then take off the bottom, two little brass screws on each side, three on the back, and then one more in the back by the antenna. Then there are two larger screws on the top and bottom of the heatsink. Then the board slide out the bottom.

You don't need to take out the small screws on the top, they hold on the tape/cd to the top of the case, and a small metal clip that holds the long circuit board extending from the front face. The large star screws on the back are just for holding the tape/cd to the case as well.

May be slightly different tape vs CD
Old 04-21-2015, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I remembered I still had a pontiac tape deck - you don't need to take it apart quite as much as the picture, basically take off the front, all held on with plastic clips. Once out, unhook the wire.

Then take off the bottom, two little brass screws on each side, three on the back, and then one more in the back by the antenna. Then there are two larger screws on the top and bottom of the heatsink. Then the board slide out the bottom.

You don't need to take out the small screws on the top, they hold on the tape/cd to the top of the case, and a small metal clip that holds the long circuit board extending from the front face. The large star screws on the back are just for holding the tape/cd to the case as well.

May be slightly different tape vs CD
Good deal. I'll take it back out either tomorrow or this weekend sometime and try again. I'll post up some pics during/after the process to contribute more to the thread!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

My '95 Z28 has the Bose Premium Sound system with the single CD player. Anyone attempt to add an aux jack to one of these? Just wondering if the internal wiring would be the same.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jims95z28
My '95 Z28 has the Bose Premium Sound system with the single CD player. Anyone attempt to add an aux jack to one of these? Just wondering if the internal wiring would be the same.
Thanks,
Jim
I don't know much about the earlier models - there are some posts around #31 and #33 with a 96, it had a flat flex ribbon cable which is much more difficult to splice into
Old 03-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Teching In

as this thread has gone on for 9 years i am no going to feel bad about posting in it...

Jason, electronics are not my forte though i have no issues digging in or soldering. That said, the link for your input connector no longer works and a search for the part number doesn't either.
I assume this one will do?
Amazon.com: 3.5mm Stereo Panel Mount Jack: Electronics Amazon.com: 3.5mm Stereo Panel Mount Jack: Electronics

and btw, its great that you not only provided this upgrade information but have continued to assist people in their efforts over such a long period of time!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stormy69
as this thread has gone on for 9 years i am no going to feel bad about posting in it...

Jason, electronics are not my forte though i have no issues digging in or soldering. That said, the link for your input connector no longer works and a search for the part number doesn't either.
I assume this one will do?
Amazon.com: 3.5mm Stereo Panel Mount Jack: Electronics

and btw, its great that you not only provided this upgrade information but have continued to assist people in their efforts over such a long period of time!
I used one that was more like this when I did mine.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ant=5717419141
Old 03-22-2016, 10:15 PM
Launching!

The Amazon one won't work, it needs to be an closed circuit jack with 5 pins. Harder to find now that most radio shacks have closed up. You can also check eBay, this one looks very similar (2 pack), part number is basically the same - typo I think

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401065778704
Old 03-23-2016, 03:31 AM
Teching In

sweet, thanks guys. Glad i asked! ordered, and a pair is great as i have 2 to do
Old 03-23-2016, 07:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

For future reference, here's a 10-pack for under $6:
Amazon.com: uxcell 10 Pcs Plastic PCB Mount 5-Pin Stereo 3.5mm Socket Audio Connector: Electronics Amazon.com: uxcell 10 Pcs Plastic PCB Mount 5-Pin Stereo 3.5mm Socket Audio Connector: Electronics
Old 03-26-2016, 03:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stormy69
sweet, thanks guys. Glad i asked! ordered, and a pair is great as i have 2 to do
Glad to help out, hope the hack goes well
Old 06-23-2016, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Default Help with monsoon auxiliary add on

I've read several threads and looked at several pics. But I've yet to come across my monsoon. I've tapped into the first and third wire as shown. But when playing I lose signal when switching songs on Pandora. Any advise would be great. Thanks
Old 10-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Talking It worked

It took me maybe 2 hours to finish the job but it works great
Old 10-10-2016, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thingthatgoes
Great writeup, I think I'm about to do this. I vote to "sticky". This is great stuff.
I hope this isn't highjacking this thread too much, but it well deserves direct mention here.

At at this point, there is a nifty AUDIO Bluetooth board that you might as well install in this signal substitution. It's by Sure at a place named Parts Express. It has good reviews, and is ~$25. My idea to take this one step further is to touch up an optical fiber cable to its LED, and terminate it in the dash/radio somewhere. Then you'll get visual feedback. Power with switched 12 volts, and probably use a double pole, double throw switch instead of the switched jack (or do both sources).

My 2¢
Old 12-28-2016, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Default Tahoe 2005 with no XM

Hi guys,
I've been looking for a long time how to connect an MP3 player onto my audio system. I understand that MP3 adapters require XM radio capability, option I don't have.
Before fooling around with my system, I just wanted to know if I will encounter any issues my this audio system?
Thanks for your advise
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-img_1712.jpg  
Old 12-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Installing an auxiliary adapter (such as the GM12-AUX) does not require the optional XM radio to work. Much like f-body systems need to have CD changer capability (without needing the changer itself), your Tahoe requires XM capability but not the XM adapter itself. The auxiliary adapter merely plugs in to the XM port on the back of the head unit. You can tell if your head unit has XM support by the Band/CD AUX button (yours has it).
Old 01-03-2017, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Thanks White Bird, will let you know once I get to the back of the unit.

Quick Reply: How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter