Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

C5 Zo6 vs. Evo VIII

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Zo6 vs. Evo VIII

Spent the last few hours with a few friends at a local cart racing place flying around on those little things. Fun stuff. We filter out to the parking lot while telling our carting stories and I see a very clean C5 Corvette parked next to my Evo. The owner turns out to be a friend of a friend. The car is an '03 Zo6 with exhaust, intake and suspension work. He's the 2nd owner but says the previous owner had the time slips to support his claim of an 11 second pass at Sacramento Raceway in 2006. The guy used to own a modified WRX and says this car is in another league. I tell him about my mods and, to the delight of the crowd, we agree to run the cars for fun.

The cart racing place sits in an industrial area, lots of warehouses, wide roads and uninhabited after business hours. First run is from a dig and his 305's have me a little worried. Plus that thing sounded mean as hell. I honked down and jumped hard with about 3 or 4 car lengths to spare when I let off after running out 3rd gear at about 85mph. He wanted to run from 15mph so that was the next race. Sort of a dead spot for me in 2nd gear but by the shift to 3rd I'd started to pull again. With about a car length between us I let off again after shifting into 4th. We both pulled back into the cart place with smiles from ear to ear. He asks me to pop the hood and we shot the **** for another 15 minutes while the cars ticked away as they cooled down. He's thinking big cam now. Maybe I'll need to run the 100 octane tune next time...

My power mods are 20G turbo, cams, cam gears, catless 3" TBE and ported and polished parts all over the police. My first kill story on LS1 tech. Usually I just lurk. Thanks for reading.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Resident

An Import posting on LS1 Tech, about how he killed a LSx car, this should be good. I hope you brought your flame suit on!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:01 AM
TECH Regular

Im surprised you could hold him off from a roll with those mods. How much power are you making? Here is a pic of one of my old cars...

Had a TBE, drop in filter, WORKS Reflash 21 psi, WORKS Built tranny, WORKS Clutch + Lighweight flywheel, WORKS 269 Cams, and a few other things I forget

Just curious because from a dig I could beat our Z if I had a good launch, but at the 1/4 mile mark the Z was coming up pretty hard and past a 1/4 mile it was pulling away like I was standing still.

Another question, you ever in Modesto on the weekends? Your car looks familiar, but then again there are a few wingless Evo's running around, so its hard to tell.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:07 AM
Teching In

It put down about 335whp on pump and about 385whp on 100 octane on the Mustang dyno at GST in Hayward. I'm rarely in Modesto so that must be somebody else. We didn't get past 90mph so it's tough to use a 1/4 mile as a frame of reference but other local guys with similar setups have been trapping close to 120mph and hitting high to mid 11's depending on their 60 foot. I've never dragged the car on a track though. It's been built up for a road course. That's why I went with a FP Green turbo rather than something bigger that has more lag. I didn't want to lose the low end.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:33 AM
TECH Regular

That's cool. Yeah I have a friend with a Evo IX that got it tuned at GST (its also White and Wingless) he is in the 330 range I believe as well, its pretty quick even from a roll. He can hold off the Z for a bit then we start walking away pretty good.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steiner
It put down about 335whp on pump and about 385whp on 100 octane on the Mustang dyno at GST in Hayward. I'm rarely in Modesto so that must be somebody else. We didn't get past 90mph so it's tough to use a 1/4 mile as a frame of reference but other local guys with similar setups have been trapping close to 120mph and hitting high to mid 11's depending on their 60 foot. I've never dragged the car on a track though. It's been built up for a road course. That's why I went with a FP Green turbo rather than something bigger that has more lag. I didn't want to lose the low end.
Hey is your car the RS model? Looks good without the wing, regardless. I love the RS Evo's because they're an all business, zero options stripper....nice and light
Old 10-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Village Idiot

Am i reading this right?..

You have an EVO VIII which I am not so sure I even know what that car is.. Looks like a Toyota or something.....I just don't know what the EVO's are, never paid close attention to them I guess? Call my un informed, stupid, whatever, is that Toyota?... What does the EVO have under the hood that is such a good mod base for speed? I understand they are a lightweight imports but damn cleaning an 11 second Z06 by 3 0r 4 car lengths from a dig is just sick and unbelieveable.....

Did I read that right?
Old 10-11-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If he is getting out in front with the launch and only going up to 90 mph or so the Vette isn't getting a chance to play catch up.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:07 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by JIBBBY

You have an EVO VIII which I am not so sure I even know what that car is.. Looks like a Toyota or something.....I just don't know what the EVO's are, never paid close attention to them I guess? Call my un informed, stupid, whatever, is that Toyota?... What does the EVO have under the hood that is such a good mod base for speed? I understand they are a lightweight imports but damn cleaning an 11 second Z06 by 3 0r 4 car lengths from a dig is just sick and unbelieveable.....

Did I read that right?
is your friend
Old 10-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
is your friend

I thought you were my friend

Besides, I tried googling faith and that didn't work, so there is no telling what will come up under the EVO....

PS. Did you guys know Google stock is down almost 50% and right now is a very good time to invest in Google as that is a solid company and it's stock will go right back up right after the presidential election...A good way to double your money in a very short time....A little investment gem just incase you guys didn't know.. Monday morning would be a great time too buy I kid you not.. Come to think of it Google is my friend...

Last edited by JIBBBY; 10-11-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JIBBBY

Did I read that right?
Toyota Evo eh?

They are Mitsubitchi, and are turbo from the factory. Along with AWD, they are great for a launch. Upgraded turbo and mods in an AWD car and they can be pretty quick.

Seems pretty far fetched starting in 2nd gear at 15mph though and still walking a z06...
Old 10-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
Hey is your car the RS model? Looks good without the wing, regardless. I love the RS Evo's because they're an all business, zero options stripper....nice and light
Yeah it's an RS. Thanks. It's not a daily driver so it's been stripped down and put on a diet. I need to get it weighed.

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
Seems pretty far fetched starting in 2nd gear at 15mph though and still walking a z06...
I lost the roll race. In reading it again I see how it's confusing though. I was in 2nd gear at 15mph...no brake boosting...he jumped hard and had about 2 car lengths on me out of the gates. By the top of 2nd he stopped pulling and in 3rd gear I made up a car length. We weren't on the freeway though so honestly 85mph-90mph was probably even a risky speed to be racing up to considering the area.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Banned

A 335whp 3200lb car beating a 370+whp 3100lb car from a roll??? Im not calling calling you a liar but it prolly wont happen again so enjoy it, good story though.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have never seen so many posts so damned fast. Hell last time I played on Patterson pass was against a xlr, we pulled into the go-kart place went inside and someone had called the cops for a noise disturbance. I can't believe you got away with that during the middle of the day-nice run man.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

I lost the roll race. In reading it again I see how it's confusing though. I was in 2nd gear at 15mph...no brake boosting...he jumped hard and had about 2 car lengths on me out of the gates. By the top of 2nd he stopped pulling and in 3rd gear I made up a car length. We weren't on the freeway though so honestly 85mph-90mph was probably even a risky speed to be racing up to considering the area.
Ahhh I see I was in a hurry when I read it the first time.

Good runs then. And I must say, the car looks MUCH cleaner with the !spoiler mod.

On a diet eh, I'm curious about it's weight also.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by capn smokey
A 335whp 3200lb car beating a 370+whp 3100lb car from a roll??? Im not calling calling you a liar but it prolly wont happen again so enjoy it, good story though.
I enjoy the wins and the losses but a dyno is a measuring tool - nothing more, nothing less. Here's a frame of reference. Stock I put down 218whp back in 2005. About that time a new 500hp Viper came in and put down 380whp.

Originally Posted by c5z28
I have never seen so many posts so damned fast. Hell last time I played on Patterson pass was against a xlr, we pulled into the go-kart place went inside and someone had called the cops for a noise disturbance. I can't believe you got away with that during the middle of the day-nice run man.
Ah then you know the area well my friend. How do often to you take Patterson Pass over the hill into Tracy? That's one my favorite drives.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:11 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Nice kill
Old 10-11-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ah then you know the area well my friend. How do often to you take Patterson Pass over the hill into Tracy? That's one my favorite drives.
Via Tesla? My car doesn't take the turns quite as well as yours does
I do like to **** around in the altamount through roads off of grant line, not as narrow and close to the cliffs
Old 10-11-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

For the guys that have any doubts about vo's from a roll, they can b pretty quick. This is our buddies Evo 9 from a roll, granted it was a cold night and we were spinning a bit with our Z off the slow roll, but you can see it holds its own pretty well.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/S...Vol_143858.htm

With my Evo I could hold off my 03 Cobra pretty well from a roll when it had the basic bolt ons. Cam's definitely help top end on an Ev alot, it was one of my favorite mods.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Driver mod, dumdumdum! Also as they say anything can happen on the street. As you can see he took the time to start up an account to come here and brag about his kill. In a "normal" situation he'd just go brag to all his Evo buddies on the forum.

Quick Reply: C5 Zo6 vs. Evo VIII