Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LS1 vs 4.6's

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yea, well a 32v is definitely a different motor, seeing as how it has more valves/cams/etc..
Old 10-29-2008, 05:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

A majority of the full bolt on gear'd 2v guys i see are running mid to maybe lower 13's...there fine around town but they have no trap speed hence no top end (compared to a LS1 that it). W/ a decent driver a stock 6spd should hand a bolt on gear'd 2v there *** everytime. Good runs btw.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
A majority of the full bolt on gear'd 2v guys i see are running mid to maybe lower 13's...there fine around town but they have no trap speed hence no top end (compared to a LS1 that it). W/ a decent driver a stock 6spd should hand a bolt on gear'd 2v there *** everytime. Good runs btw.
Ya, there is a diffrence between the track and the street. Consdering at the time we ran (the bolt/on geared one that is) it was around 21 degrees Fahrenheit i didnt exactly hook.

At the track that 02 GT ran a 13.9 and i ended up running a 13.2 (this was just the lid).
Old 10-29-2008, 10:20 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
I don't see how 1-2 carlengths is "handing there ***." From a roll, sure... but half the guys on here always talk about how dig races are the only way to go, and then flip-flop when we start talking about car with equal ets and lower trapspeeds. Then it's all about, "Well we will win from a roll."
Old 10-29-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I don't see how 1-2 carlengths is "handing there ***." From a roll, sure... but half the guys on here always talk about how dig races are the only way to go, and then flip-flop when we start talking about car with equal ets and lower trapspeeds. Then it's all about, "Well we will win from a roll."
Stop adding fuel to the fire. Ever since I started reading this section it's always been like that. "Kicked that POS x car(anything without an LSx) *** omg he got raped" a bit later "I had him by about 1.5 cars at the end of 4th."
Old 10-29-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ask any racer, any REAL racer, it doesnt matter if you win by an inch, or a mile. Winning is winning.

Bwahaha, sorry had to. anyways like mentioned, no one is saying a geared bolt on 2v is slow, just saying for the majority, your run of the mill ls1 (small to full bolt ons) Will hardly lose to one, given drivers of fairly close skill.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Teching In

when are people going to learn its not the car,any car its all about money the person with the most money goes the fastest
Old 10-29-2008, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by InEEdSPEED
His Gt was a factory freak. He ran 13.7-8's with his DR's on (didnt have them at the time i raced him). Also i mentioned that after second gear i started to pull and he shut down.

A bolt on mustang is fully capable of hanging with a LS1 til about 2nd.

Btw the 02 GT i raced had drag springs, and i wouldnt be suprised if he could of hit a 1.6-7 60ft on the street. He launched harder than most awd vehicles i saw.

I talked to friend after and he says he launches around 4500 rpms. That will get you off the line. Its hard to hang with stock 245's.

my buddy was running 13.8's with just intake and DR's. and my other buddy has an auto with 3.73's and ran 13.7 spinning (his on the other hand is a freak)

and i ran 8.8 in the eighth with shifter and no mufflers. i'm just saying this because your first statement is completely wrong. with full bolt on's the edge gt's run low 13's or 13 flat. assuming they have a good driver. i have 2 buddies that ran 8.5 and 8.6 (or a high 8.5) with full bolt ons

and like said, there are tons of people running 13 flat or low 13's with full bolt on's. and "2v in the twelves" ran just below a 13 flat and he doesn't even have full bolt ons...and as far as i know most ls1 fbody's don't run high twelves or even right at 13 flat.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Teching In

my buddy has a full bolt on 03 gt and he runs 12 90s
Old 10-29-2008, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a member here who runs either 12.20s or faster I believe in a bolt on GT. TONS of skill, and the right set up, will send a car flying.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

No doubt they can be fast/quick(anything can) but the 2V motor is a steaming pile of **** when compared to the LS1(especially when talking stock block/heads lawl).
Old 10-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Teching In

I have yet to see a full bolt on GT out run an ls1. True i'm more of a roll racer but If i can get a dig race thats no prob for me.

Its all about $$$$$$$ A highly modded imports gonna be fast just as a highly modded 2v GT You don't see alot because most would rather have a stronger more responsive motor LSX/MACH1/COBRA . Its like us LS guys trying to build our
V6s Its just gonna take more work, parts and that costs $$$$$..
Old 10-29-2008, 03:00 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Quick Sh0t xMLx
No doubt they can be fast/quick(anything can) but the 2V motor is a steaming pile of **** when compared to the LS1(especially when talking stock block/heads lawl).
Heads, sure... but the actual BLOCK of the 2v is proven to hold TONS of power. Like 2,000hp. Part of the reason the motor is so big is because the block is so thick/strong.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Teching In

+1 I've driven plenty of 2v there ok for your average racer. But it does take some cash and more importantly knowledge to get that engine to put out good horsepower and still be reliable. Drive a mach terminator your right foot is will give you all the info you need.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Heads, sure... but the actual BLOCK of the 2v is proven to hold TONS of power. Like 2,000hp. Part of the reason the motor is so big is because the block is so thick/strong.
Its the heads, Intake manifold etc that always give alot of problems.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:06 PM
***Repost Police***

Ported Bullitt manifold is all most people need... the serious N/A guys go with the P-51 or something similar.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well when I said block meant the internals and how much they can hold. The actual bare-block is rock solid for sure but other than the 5.0 guys that's a non-issue for most platforms.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

To say it's not as good potentially as an LS N/A, I can see that, but to call it a steaming pile?...I think that's a tad excessive and I'm not a huge fan of 2V.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well when I said block meant the internals and how much they can hold. The actual bare-block is rock solid for sure but other than the 5.0 guys that's a non-issue for most platforms.
Now that makes even less sense.

internally they can withstand as much power as an LS1......Roughly 450 rwhp/TQ. Not sure where you're going with this.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Now that makes even less sense.

internally they can withstand as much power as an LS1......Roughly 450 rwhp/TQ. Not sure where you're going with this.
Cammed+spray LS1s are making 500+ easily and being pretty reliable. Dudes with blowers are blowing their motors up on the 4.6 with less than 450 rwhp. Granted I can find examples like that for the LS1 as well but overall people are usually making 100+ less rwhp on a stock block 4.6 vs. a stock block LS1. Not only that but the LS1 is so much easier to mod/make power with. You pretty much need FI just to crack 400 rwhp on a 2V 4.6.

To say it's not as good potentially as an LS N/A, I can see that, but to call it a steaming pile?...I think that's a tad excessive and I'm not a huge fan of 2V.
A steaming pile was perhaps too harsh. I had a 02 GT with bolt ons and a 125 shot. It was dead-nuts reliable I will give it that. It wasn't really slow but it wasn't that fast and I had pretty much reached the ends of the stock block. The LS1 is just so much better in terms of modding than the 4.6, it makes you a bit emo just thinking about it.

Quick Reply: LS1 vs 4.6's