Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

S2000 vs. WS6

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
why doesnt it run 6 seconds? and any car no matter the engines size do enough to it you can pump out enough hp/tq to pull the wheels up. just curious How much does that car weigh? esp at the front wheels. i bet its does not have to lift very much compared to a lot of other cars

and as long as a larger Engine gives more HP to weight it is going to be more beneficial than a smaller liter engine. and yes you may stay at 6k rpms and stay withing your powerband but if you still have gutless tq at your high Peak power RPM then it doesnt matter.

i love the look of the cars. and think there nice cars. but i will never consider it a good platform for a straight line performance car. iIlaugh when people bring up "well it can own you in turns" because a VERY low % of people race there cars in turns in closed courses.
You say it's silly to drag race S2000s, but that same attitude makes it silly to road race or auto-x F-bodies and Mustangs.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
You say it's silly to drag race S2000s, but that same attitude makes it silly to road race or auto-x F-bodies and Mustangs.
Exactly. They roll over when they try to go through corners.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Because everybody knows Mustangs and F-bodies can't handle at all. They are like pickup trucks.

You are an idiot, you prove it in every damn thread.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLACKTURBOS2K
If I remember right you and I have bitched about the tq thing many times in the past.

Lets put it this way. If you want to tow a car you need tq, if your car is 3700lbs you need tq, if you have a a high gear ratio you need tq.
No, you need torque no matter how much your car weighs or what you do with it. Torque is what gets the car moving off the line, torque is what allows you to maintain speed, torque is what allows you to make horsepower. They are directly related.

What people need to look at is there dyno. Look at the power under the curve. How long do you make good power? 2-3k rpms? Say you make good power at 2500rpms and redline at 6500. So you have 4000rpms of good power. Now in my car I make good power around 5500rpms and readline at 10000. So I have power for 4500rpms. Who cares where you make as long as you make it for a good bit.
If a "4 banger" cant make tq please tell me why InlinePros s2000 pulls both wheels off of ground on the start????
No, that is irrelevent. I can drive my car around all day shifting at 1800RPM comfortably, or run it to redline at 6250RPM to hit peak power. The powerband is pretty much from idle to 6250, the car will accelerate from any RPM when you punch the throttle. And no stock S2000 makes power at 5500 nor redlines at 10K. They make power at 6,000 to about 9,000, which is a very narrow powerband, and it takes forever to get up there. So if you find yourself in the wrong gear, the race is over.

And there's no way that any S2000 is going to pull the front wheels unless its completely gutted and weighs next to nothing or its turbocharged and its launching in boost. Thats obvious.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:06 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Because everybody knows Mustangs and F-bodies can't handle at all. They are like pickup trucks.

You are an idiot, you prove it in every damn thread.
I owned a Mustang that handled very well, thank you. If you couldn't tell (which obviously you couldn't), my post was a bit sarcastic. I don't think it's stupid to road race or auto-x F-bodies and Mustangs, just like I don't think it's stupid to drag race S2000s. Reading comprehension > you.
And no stock S2000 makes power at 5500 nor redlines at 10K. They make power at 6,000 to about 9,000, which is a very narrow powerband, and it takes forever to get up there. So if you find yourself in the wrong gear, the race is over.

And there's no way that any S2000 is going to pull the front wheels unless its completely gutted and weighs next to nothing or its turbocharged and its launching in boost. Thats obvious.
Takes forever to get to 6,000rpm? No. When I take off from a stoplight the car is at damn near 3,000rpm by the time I have the clutch all the way out. The only way it "takes forever" to get to 6,000rpm is if you try something like trying to race somebody from a 30mph roll in 3rd gear. If you drive the car like it's supposed to be driven, you rarely find yourself in the wrong gear. You talk so much about "daily driving," but then switch to racing whenever you see fit. If you are racing somebody, why would you be in the wrong gear?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I owned a Mustang that handled very well, thank you. If you couldn't tell (which obviously you couldn't), my post was a bit sarcastic. I don't think it's stupid to road race or auto-x F-bodies and Mustangs, just like I don't think it's stupid to drag race S2000s. Reading comprehension > you.
There was no sarcasm in that post. You basically said that its silly to drag race S2000's just as its silly to road race F-bodies and Mustangs, based on that attitude.

Takes forever to get to 6,000rpm? No. When I take off from a stoplight the car is at damn near 3,000rpm by the time I have the clutch all the way out. The only way it "takes forever" to get to 6,000rpm is if you try something like trying to race somebody from a 30mph roll in 3rd gear. If you drive the car like it's supposed to be driven, you rarely find yourself in the wrong gear. You talk so much about "daily driving," but then switch to racing whenever you see fit. If you are racing somebody, why would you be in the wrong gear?
3000RPM by the time the have the clutch out?? Have fun replacing that clutch, its not long for this world seeing those kinds of RPM's from a stop in daily driving.

Its easy to be in the wrong gear. Some things catch you off guard, like ricer flybys. I usually just walk them in whatever gear I'm currently in, no need to downshift to get into a peaky powerband.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:30 PM
***Repost Police***

This is what I said. Now where in that statement did I say it was my opinion that road racing F-bodies and Mustangs was silly?
There was no sarcasm in that post. You basically said that its silly to drag race S2000's just as its silly to road race F-bodies and Mustangs, based on that attitude.

3000RPM by the time the have the clutch out?? Have fun replacing that clutch, its not long for this world seeing those kinds of RPM's from a stop in daily driving.

Its easy to be in the wrong gear. Some things catch you off guard, like ricer flybys. I usually just walk them in whatever gear I'm currently in, no need to downshift to get into a peaky powerband.
Considering the stock clutch in this car has over 83k miles, you're wrong on that too. It's not as strong as it was 60k miles ago, but it's got some life left in it. And ricer flybys are usually done on the freeway from what I've seen, so you "usually walk them in" when you're cruising in 6th gear? Good luck with that. It hardly takes ANY time to downshift, sounds like you're just lazy.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Launching!

The car is only 240HP at the crank. So even with a turbo kit, lets say he gained 30%, he's still only slightly over 300 at the crank. Its an extremely high compression motor, you can't push much boost without rebuilding it for lower compression.
sorry but that is extremely wrong, they are slow as *****, but a properly setup turbo one with a nice tune can make upwards of 550-600hp if the owner has the ***** to push it.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Considering the stock clutch in this car has over 83k miles, you're wrong on that too. It's not as strong as it was 60k miles ago, but it's got some life left in it.

A clutch is a simple mechanical device that wears at a rate entirely dependant on slippage and heat. Its simple physics that the more you slip it, the faster it will wear.

I take off from most stops between 1200RPM and idle. Thats all that is needed. Taking off at 3,000RPM in daily driving will put some serious wear on any clutch.

And ricer flybys are usually done on the freeway from what I've seen, so you "usually walk them in" when you're cruising in 6th gear? Good luck with that. It hardly takes ANY time to downshift, sounds like you're just lazy.
Yep. 6th or 5th gear. When I was doing backroad runs with my friend in his STI, I was right behind him the entire time and I never downshifted below 4th gear. He was rowing gears like a madman, in most turns he had to go down to 2nd to keep it on the boost. Once again, the benefits of a fat powerband.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:41 PM
***Repost Police***

I can think of more than one S2000 around that's over 500rwhp with EVERYTHING on the motor stock. Even has the stock headgasket (some people run a thicker headgasket to effectively lower compression).
Old 12-23-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scottHMT
sorry but that is extremely wrong, they are slow as *****, but a properly setup turbo one with a nice tune can make upwards of 550-600hp if the owner has the ***** to push it.
You obviously didn't read what I said.

You aren't making anything close to 550-600HP without completely rebuilding the motor with forged internals and the works, which is extremely costly.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:43 PM
***Repost Police***

Yep. 6th or 5th gear. When I was doing backroad runs with my friend in his STI, I was right behind him the entire time and I never downshifted below 4th gear. He was rowing gears like a madman, in most turns he had to go down to 2nd to keep it on the boost. Once again, the benefits of a fat powerband.
For one, I wasn't aware that backroad runs were "ricer flybys." If that same STi had been charging hard in 3rd gear going 75-80mph and flew past you, you wouldn't be catching him if you stayed in 5th or 6th gear. An LS1 has more power, but not THAT much more.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:44 PM
***Repost Police***

You obviously didn't read what I said.

You aren't making anything close to 550-600HP without completely rebuilding the motor with forged internals and the works, which is extremely costly.
Internals are forged from the factory
Old 12-23-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can think of more than one S2000 around that's over 500rwhp with EVERYTHING on the motor stock. Even has the stock headgasket (some people run a thicker headgasket to effectively lower compression).
And I can go out and get a Procharger and put down 700WHP like its nothing, doesn't mean ****. No 2.0 4 banger pushing that kind of power without being fully built is going to last very long at all.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

For one, I wasn't aware that backroad runs were "ricer flybys." If that same STi had been charging hard in 3rd gear going 75-80mph and flew past you, you wouldn't be catching him if you stayed in 5th or 6th gear. An LS1 has more power, but not THAT much more.
5th gear at 75 or 80MPH against an STI in 3rd?? No problem. I know because I've done it.

6th, probably not.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:46 PM
***Repost Police***

And I can go out and get a Procharger and put down 700WHP like its nothing, doesn't mean ****. No 2.0 4 banger pushing that kind of power without being fully built is going to last very long at all.
You sound like the kind of tool that always pulls out the "Well let me slap a blower on my Trans Am, and then see how that Cobra does" argument. But I would LOVE to see a stock LS1 run 700rwhp for any amount of time.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

You sound like the kind of tool that always pulls out the "Well let me slap a blower on my Trans Am, and then see how that Cobra does" argument. But I would LOVE to see a stock LS1 run 700rwhp for any amount of time.
Thats what I JUST ******* SAID. Putting down the power DOESN'T MEAN **** if its not going to hold it for any sustainable period of time. Hence my example. Learn to comprehend.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:52 PM
***Repost Police***

Thats what I JUST ******* SAID. Putting down the power DOESN'T MEAN **** if its not going to hold it for any sustainable period of time. Hence my example. Learn to comprehend.
You're one to talk about comprehension .
Old 12-23-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you ever driven one??

They are absolutely gutless until the turbo comes on around 3500RPM, then they start making power.
Yeah, I have. While thats true, in some respects I have launched an STi so hard that it made me believe in christ. If you shift properly an 04-05 STi will hold onto boost though the 1-2. That damn car was reckless fast. They have an incredible rush of power compared to the LS1's torque 'table'.

Boy do I love my LS1/RWD though.

so in the end, you win.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:02 PM
***Repost Police***

I would love it if my car had a V6 or V8. But it doesn't. And at this point, handling is more important to me than a ton of torque. The convertible part is a big plus too.

Quick Reply: S2000 vs. WS6