Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

08 G8 GT vs Charger R/T

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 G8 GT vs Charger R/T

I haven't been on here in a while and don't get to race the G8 that often because it is mostly my wifes car.
But I was driving home a couple of days ago on the freeway and a black Charger R/T was coming up on my right. I thought at first he was just trying to pass somebody, but I decided to try and match speeds with it anyways just in case. Well I get up to about 85 and notice that he is starting to speed up a bit. He gets into the lane next to me and then he just hit it. I went WOT a little after he did but he started with a 2 car lead on me. I started to pull and make up ground pretty quickly. I was very surprised at how quickly the car pulled and closed the gap, because next thing I knew I was passing him. I ended up having to shut it down because of a truck in front of me in my lane. But we ended at around 130 and I was in front a car and a half or so. The G8 felt like it still had plenty in it. It doesn't feel as fast as my WS6 did. But in the higher mph it felt like it was pulling more effortlessly. Could just be that I haven't driven that fast in a while or that I don't have to shift the G8.

One thing that bothers me a lot in the G8 is that nobody seems to want to race me in it. All I want to do is get my hands on some mustangs, 350z's, G37's, and some f-bodies. Even though the F-bodies will take me. But I rarely get in any races. So far I have only raced this charger r/t, a cts-v, and a g35. So the G8 is 2-1 right now.

Also T/A is sold and I am starting to look for its replacement. Thinking to get a C6 ZO6 but hoping for a ZR1.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

nice reel in..I'm guessing the loss was to the cts-v. I saw a mustang get smoked by one on pass times last night
Old 01-08-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I lost pretty badly to the cts-v. He jumped it a bit, but it wouldn't have mattered. It looked like I started to gain back some ground, but he probably let off or wasn't even going full throttle. I have been trying to talk the wife into letting me put a S/C on it. But o far he has been very uncooperative. She did say though that I can do the filter, exaust, and tune. Which I know relly wakes tese guys up. But if I can't hve it all, I don't think I wanna spend the money on it.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Nice kill.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

Gotta love those g8's! And yea a tune really wakes them up considering between shifts iirc it pulls about 20* of timing. [ info from tugboat420 ]
Old 01-08-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

I am liking it very much. It doesn't feel really fast, but those numbers do climb pretty quickly. I am very curious to see how the GXP does and what people think of that. Still thinking ZO6 though in my future.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Teching In

pass times whats this can you post the video? i would like to see that video.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice kill. You get more action in your G8 than I do in my T/A.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PewterWSSicc
I haven't been on here in a while and don't get to race the G8 that often because it is mostly my wifes car.
But I was driving home a couple of days ago on the freeway and a black Charger R/T was coming up on my right. I thought at first he was just trying to pass somebody, but I decided to try and match speeds with it anyways just in case. Well I get up to about 85 and notice that he is starting to speed up a bit. He gets into the lane next to me and then he just hit it. I went WOT a little after he did but he started with a 2 car lead on me. I started to pull and make up ground pretty quickly. I was very surprised at how quickly the car pulled and closed the gap, because next thing I knew I was passing him. I ended up having to shut it down because of a truck in front of me in my lane. But we ended at around 130 and I was in front a car and a half or so. The G8 felt like it still had plenty in it. It doesn't feel as fast as my WS6 did. But in the higher mph it felt like it was pulling more effortlessly. Could just be that I haven't driven that fast in a while or that I don't have to shift the G8.

One thing that bothers me a lot in the G8 is that nobody seems to want to race me in it. All I want to do is get my hands on some mustangs, 350z's, G37's, and some f-bodies. Even though the F-bodies will take me. But I rarely get in any races. So far I have only raced this charger r/t, a cts-v, and a g35. So the G8 is 2-1 right now.

Also T/A is sold and I am starting to look for its replacement. Thinking to get a C6 ZO6 but hoping for a ZR1.
2 car lead then u pulled him and one by 1 and a half cars man does that show gm dominance or what good kill op
Old 01-08-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

pass times whats this can you post the video? i would like to see that video.
just copy it on dvr..it's an 05 up stang gt with exhaust and cai vs a stock early model cts-v. The cts-v gets him by atleast a couple cars...its hilarious. On that pass I guessed within 2 tenths of the total time...lol

I believe they were in Detroit or Illinois somewhere
Old 01-08-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

I kinda expected it to be a closer race than that though. Especially with them having
7hp and 10ft lbs of torque more. I think the difference is that the G8 weighs about 50 lbs less, it has a 6 speed auto instead of the 5 speed in the charger, and aerodynamics might have made a difference also. I think the gearing made the biggest difference especially since we got up to 130.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Launching!

whew...thank god...got nervous when i saw the thread pop up...haha

good kill man, but you're driving half a car

if you want the rest of the car just let someone respectable put it on a dyno and custom tune the ecm/tcm and have it tuned for 93 octane (if you can run 93 all the time)...these things are crazy safe tuned from GM...pm me if you got any questions. and again nice rape, its always awesome to watch someone think they're just gonna pull away and then just go walking by them...car feels real planted in the triples doesn't it? bah sorry so much typing, finally have someone else to talk to about running their G8 on the street. i think the highways are where we're gonna really see these cars shine for not alot of $$$...considering its gonna take like a 4k stall and built rear/tranny to get these things to get any sort of good 60'
Old 01-08-2009, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

tugboat is

his dreams have come true, another fellow G8 owner how cute

its a match made at LS1tech

haha
Old 01-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Launching!

hahahahaha
Old 01-08-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

I am hoping that I can talk the wife into the S/C this summer. I am thinking that an ATI D1-SC would be the way to go. I like the Magnusen from MTI also. But I think I will get better numbers from the ATI. Still gotta wait and see what happens. I really wanna get the car into the 550rwhp range though. I also need to get more info on the engine internals, fuel system, and so forth to see what will be needed to safely make that much power.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PewterWSSicc
Yeah I lost pretty badly to the cts-v. He jumped it a bit, but it wouldn't have mattered. It looked like I started to gain back some ground, but he probably let off or wasn't even going full throttle. I have been trying to talk the wife into letting me put a S/C on it. But o far he has been very uncooperative. She did say though that I can do the filter, exaust, and tune. Which I know relly wakes tese guys up. But if I can't hve it all, I don't think I wanna spend the money on it.
EASY solution. Secretlyand discreetly save enough cash to do the supercharger. Buy the stuff and have it delivered to a buddy's house. Then make an appointment with your mechanic (IF you dont do your own wrenching.) And drop it off with them for them to install and dyno tune it. You can tell the wifey that its developed a strange noise and that the dealership needs 1 or 2 days to check it out. Then drive it home and never mention a word about it....hehe

If she doenst know cars, she'll NEVER know. Well other than, "Honey this thing seems a LOT faster?! What's going on??"

'Oh nothing that's just what happens with your basic bolt ons, but be sure to only put 93 octane in it....'

"But honey the car is making a whining noise now? Thats not normal is it?"

'Oh yes hun I talked to the lead mechanic, he said that these engine develop that noise after breakin...'

LOL!

Maybe I should be a little more worried about divorce after all....lol
Old 01-08-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

ha
Old 01-08-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

I have thought of that. I think I can break her down though. She would definately notice a supercharger and an extra 230 or so rwhp in it. She knows her car and she knows her husband. Anyhow we will see. I think I can convince her though.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Has anybody done a cam in a G8 yet? What size can we do and what are the specifics to do one? I would imagine it's pretty close to the same as a Vette.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Launching!

pm'ing you some info