Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cheated out of a race with an NSX today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

they seem to do decent once there moving. i raced one at the track that ran half second slower e.t but trapped the same 103mph that run.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
From my understanding from posters on the site, a stock LS1 will easily do a 13.6-13.8. We've had factory freak LT1s do 13.7 (can't remember the guys name on here). Doesn't seem all that exciting[the NSX] for a $60K (in 1991, which compared to a Vette is at, or over, double the price) to $88K (in 1997, again well over a Vettes price tag) "Supercar". And I'm not bashing it for it being an import, I think the S2000 is a spiffy car (even if I beat one with my 91 5.7 TPI ) and some of the recent Acuras have some spunk.

According to a few others, I apparently don't Facts are facts though, at least in regards to the HP being laid down. Most made was 290hp, newest Acura TL with AWD puts out 305hp.

As for the handling, I'm just going off what a benchmark using something like 5 to 7 cars resulted in. The driver said he thought the NSX was very sluggish (handling, not speed), and it dropped way behind the C5 Vette. To no surprise, the Mini Cooper S handled best and behind it was whatever Lambo that was being tested. The handling test was in the Slalom. It's 0-60, 0-100 and 1/4 time wasn't in the top 3 either, any sort of numbers on them though has been overwritten in my memory. This is something that's classified as a "Supercar" remember >_> I just consider it an expensive sports car, otherwise F-Bodys should have the Supercar nomenclature, and yet even the Vette doesn't (but is gaining ground).

EDIT: haha Apparently it's not a Supercar anymore, well at least according to whom ever submitted some info on it to Wiki. It's just a regular old Sports Car like us
Exactly. You are going off of pages in a magazine. YOU don't know. I actually thought the same as you before I got one a few years ago. Its not the most powerful car on the planet, but at less than 30K for a 1st gen I could still run circles around most NEW cars that cost 40/50k (roomate's 350Z was a good example).

I didn't even post to argue with you (I never even post on this board... have been on it for almost a year doing research... only 'joined' to post a question on a part for sale)... just go look at the NSX forum sometime and do some research of your own... maybe find somebody near by to take you for a ride (most of the people I met on there were more than happy to take somebody that didn't know better out for a ride). You obviously DON'T (and you can take it as an insult if you want, but its the truth till you figure it out for yourself) know what you are talking about and are basing everything you know about it from a couple paragraphs on the internet... Hate to break it to ya, but when you do that, a lot of F-bodies look pretty crappy too.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Formula350
Pretty sure you would've taken him anyways man When Acura debuted their lastest, I think it's the TL, they said that it's "Their most powerful car ever". Which kind of surprised me till I researched the NSX. Sure enough, the NSX doesn't have squat for HP and TQ! They're apparently a joke, as far as "Supercars" go. From tests I've read, they don't corner as well as others and their lack of power is only slightly made up by their higher revving engine.
They're fairly quick I've been in one. Certainly not worth the bang for the buck but quick just the same
Old 03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Nsx = weak sauce. The price tag on these cars is some of the funniest **** I have ever seen. At that sticker price them seats better have a built in vagina to love me long time.
The resell value is low on those. They were what around 80k new, now you can find them for under $30k. A friend of mine bought his a few years ago for $25k. I would be pissed if I bought a $80k car that lost almost 2/3 of its value in 10 years... and I'd be pissed if it only came with about 280hp.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kgkern01
The resell value is low on those. They were what around 80k new, now you can find them for under $30k. A friend of mine bought his a few years ago for $25k. I would be pissed if I bought a $80k car that lost almost 2/3 of its value in 10 years... and I'd be pissed if it only came with about 280hp.
Wow they lost that much in value huh?? Well no offense but anyone dumb enough to spend 70-80k on that car needs a good nut kicking.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gregrob
roll racing is for supras

And Cobra's....
Old 03-05-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont get it... when someone wants to race me and i jump hard and i dont think they are racing, i still leave it in 1st just in case they decide to go... i NEVER take it outa gear or upshift.. i leave it right where if the retard wants to go, im goign too, but faster!!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ws666
i dont get it... when someone wants to race me and i jump hard and i dont think they are racing, i still leave it in 1st just in case they decide to go... i NEVER take it outa gear or upshift.. i leave it right where if the retard wants to go, im goign too, but faster!!
Exactly...I'll cruise for a while sitting at 3500rpm in whatever gear I happen to be in, lol.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Exactly...I'll cruise for a while sitting at 3500rpm in whatever gear I happen to be in, lol.
Both of you are failing to realize he is auto, the second he lets off the throttle it is gunna shift to OD or 3rd at least. unless he is manually shifting his Auto which i would not reccomend.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
Both of you are failing to realize he is auto, the second he lets off the throttle it is gunna shift to OD or 3rd at least. unless he is manually shifting his Auto which i would not reccomend.
if i had an auto there is no way in hell i would race from a dig in D.. it would always be in 1st, just in case this kind of **** happens... then once you realize he is racing, punch the gas and put it back into D.. and let it shift on its own... but by keeping it in 1st at first, youwill be in the power band and it wont need to downshift

also if i recall, the computers are programed to where eve if the car is in 1st gear, and you rev it out, its still going to shift so second.... my grand prix did that.... same tranny no?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Banned

Umm why wouldn't you race a auto from the dig?? That's their bread and butter especially if they are set up right and have a good driver behind the wheel. And thats not true in all cases about the computer shifting out. Some of the LT1 based cars came with a functional 1st gear (as mine did) and if I put it in 1, it stays in 1 until I manually shift it out.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nice death
Old 03-05-2009, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

if i had an auto there is no way in hell i would race from a dig in D.. it would always be in 1st, just in case this kind of **** happens... then once you realize he is racing, punch the gas and put it back into D.. and let it shift on its own... but by keeping it in 1st at first, youwill be in the power band and it wont need to downshift

also if i recall, the computers are programed to where eve if the car is in 1st gear, and you rev it out, its still going to shift so second.... my grand prix did that.... same tranny no?
same tranny as a front wheel drive car? no different tranny. and it will stay in 1st if you leave it in first. i certainly don't leave it in OD when i race i go down to 3rd, but still. and the whole point of having a fast auto is letting the car do its shifting itself. granted they arent as good from a roll, but thats why i would suggest just staying in it until like 50-60 just to show the tool that you could pull on him.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why do you not recommend it exactly?

I have never and will never own an automatic Fbody, but I drove a couple of them and they didn't up shift on their own if I was shifting manually. But I didn't let it bounce off the rev limiter either.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Why do you not recommend it exactly?

I have never and will never own an automatic Fbody, but I drove a couple of them and they didn't up shift on their own if I was shifting manually. But I didn't let it bounce off the rev limiter either.
why would i not reccomend it? because its done by the computer. . . the ocmputer does it perfect 100% of the time everytime. you can do it yourself but there is a chance you upshift too soon, or not soon enough and bounce off the limiter. i leave the car in 3rd, which would just be the regular D on a camaro and put the pedal to the floor.

and we dont need to start this whole M6 A4 thing, cause personally for a DD M6 and roll racing its better, unless you are john force, a stalled auto will yank you at the track. hell i yank bolt-on LS1's M6's at the track.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

why would i not reccomend it? because its done by the computer. . . the ocmputer does it perfect 100% of the time everytime. you can do it yourself but there is a chance you upshift too soon, or not soon enough and bounce off the limiter. i leave the car in 3rd, which would just be the regular D on a camaro and put the pedal to the floor.

and we dont need to start this whole M6 A4 thing, cause personally for a DD M6 and roll racing its better, unless you are john force, a stalled auto will yank you at the track. hell i yank bolt-on LS1's M6's at the track.
Oh, well my buddy always manually sifts it so there is no gap created in the time it would take the car to downshift to the right gear.

Both of my cars are M6's. T56 4 life!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Banned

Hell with my stage 2 shift kit and built tranny I let her do the work for me. No need to play around with the gears unless I was maybe roll racing to get it in it's sweet spot. But overall I put it in gear and leave it.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Oh, well my buddy always manually sifts it so there is no gap created in the time it would take the car to downshift to the right gear.

Both of my cars are M6's. T56 4 life!
HAHA personally when i do get an LS1 i want it to be M6, because it will end up being my DD, and the LT1 will be my dedicated tracker with the A4. just hard to beat the consistency of the stalled auto.

different strokes for different folks.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Hell with my stage 2 shift kit and built tranny I let her do the work for me. No need to play around with the gears unless I was maybe roll racing to get it in it's sweet spot. But overall I put it in gear and leave it.
same here, since the rebuild and stage 2 shift kit from a stop i just pop it into 3rd so it wont go into OD, and just mash the gas!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Banned

Stroke my shift ****. A4 for the win!

3rd gear is a dream come true huh!