Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

lost a race i shouldnt have

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost a race i shouldnt have

well my ego took a huge chop this weekend, i just got through putting my new heads on with some great springs and decided to take the car out for a spin, so i took the t-tops off and a buddy of mine got in and we cruised around a bit then as im about to pull into my driveway the guy who lives 3 houses down drives by in his white 02 z28 and revs at me in my black 02 z28 so i rev back and back out and follow him, we pull out onto the highway and just hit it because noone around here seems to know how to honk off a race. in 2nd we are dead nuts even then i hit my rev limiter and he edges me i get it into 3rd but am stuck where i am cant pull back and he cant pull ahead. we go a littl ways down the road then hit it again in 3rd absolutly even then i smack my rev limiter and he pulls away i get it into 4th and cant gain what i lost.
only time i manage to pull him is when we were coming to a light slowing down to about 40 or so it turns green and i nail it in 2nd and pull a car on him and miraculously manage to grab 3rd perfect and pull a teeny bit then of course miss 4th and he gained alot but once i got it into 4th he quite. now for the insane part

his mods
02 z28 A4
he tells me he put a ls6 intake on it, i told him it already had one, he disagrees
stall dont know which one
catback
my mods
02 z28 m6
cam, headers, full exhaust, no cats, 243 heads, 12 bolt with 3.73's and spool, and drag radials.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Launching!

i now know i am a totally shitty driver, i could make excuses and say i got excited but whatever i drove like **** that race, but what i don't understand is how come we were dead even through 2nd and 3rd, i should have him out geared and out powered. my only thought is that I'm not fully tuned, by that i mean i am running on a canned mail order tune, and he has said he got dyno tuned. that is definitely my next step if i keep this car. well actually i should either way I'm sure the next owner would appreciate have i tune.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Launching!

oh and i didn't spray, i am not going to till i get a very nice tune, and i might take it off and sell it, i am worried about the stock fuel system not being up to par.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

How's your tune?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by the jester 812
so i took the t-tops off and a buddy of mine got in
Personally, I think this is why you lost. Taking the tops off and having a friend ride with you probably set you back quite a bit,
Old 03-23-2009, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stalled autos!!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tacklebox
How's your tune?
i don't know for sure, but i can say after doing the head swap, we started it up and it seems to run rich, after a few seconds in my garage with the door up our eyes were stinging
Old 03-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jsteele90
stalled autos!!!!!!!!
hells yea, after that i had a newfound respect for stalled auto's.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

hells yea, after that i had a newfound respect for stalled auto's.
After i got my trans rebuilt i surprised the **** outa my buddy with a M6 ls1 firehawk from a roll

stalls make a night and day difference for autos man never miss a gear, and you sir sound like you need an auto if you arent having much luck shifting right now
Old 03-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
After i got my trans rebuilt i surprised the **** outa my buddy with a M6 ls1 firehawk from a roll

stalls make a night and day difference for autos man never miss a gear, and you sir sound like you need an auto if you arent having much luck shifting right now
yeah, i always thought i was pretty decent but not anymore, but in my defense i haven't done the drill mod so it makes getting it in gear a real bitch. maybe i will look at autos when i get my vette
Old 03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get a tune on that sometimes mail order tunes can be way off, when i got my mail order for heads cam it was rich down low and lean up top. GET DYNOTUNED! lol Can the stock injectors handle that cam without maxing out? (sorry I don't know what the ls1 injectors put out) I ALOT of power once i got the car running right after the tune, stick with it man. And practice your shiftin..
Old 03-24-2009, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

yeah, i always thought i was pretty decent but not anymore, but in my defense i haven't done the drill mod so it makes getting it in gear a real bitch. maybe i will look at autos when i get my vette
dude the vette is the one performance vehicle i'd want a Manual in haha. but to each his own.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Teching In

stalled autos!!!!!!!!
I agree he must have had gears too.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

i don't know for sure, but i can say after doing the head swap, we started it up and it seems to run rich, after a few seconds in my garage with the door up our eyes were stinging
The question is did ya tune it?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FrkEBz06
The question is did ya tune it?
well like i said earlier, it only has the mail order tune. i have hp tuners, and flashed a canned tune on it, i told him my mods and he sent me a tune. that's most likely where I'm losing a lot of power is my tune. i have been calling places though trying to find a nice shop to take it to, but a lot of places are booked up for weeks.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnniereb08
Personally, I think this is why you lost. Taking the tops off and having a friend ride with you probably set you back quite a bit,
T-tops off the car is the reason. I remember with the tops on i would leave 2nd gear at 95 and with them off i would leave 2nd at 83. Way to much drag from the air being caught in the hatch and having no where to go.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by whytryz28
T-tops off the car is the reason. I remember with the tops on i would leave 2nd gear at 95 and with them off i would leave 2nd at 83. Way to much drag from the air being caught in the hatch and having no where to go.
Idk man the a4 car right there beside him. Either the other was sneakin in a small shot or jesters car isnt tuned right or extremely conservative. Even though jester has a baby cam it should pull on that a4 in 2nd drag doesnt start hurting you til 85-90.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Don't be so hard on yourself, it seems if you take your car out and practic, practic, practic the 2-3 speedshift and the 3-4 speedshift it would have turned out in your favor.

He swapped an LS6 intake for an LS6 eh?
Old 03-24-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL at the LS6 intake swap.

Between the less than stellar driving you mention, the questionable tune, the t-tops being out, and you having a passenger, I can easily see this being the outcome. Many people highly underestimate how badly these factors will hurt individually, nevermind altogether. Get a solid tune on the car and then get out there and start practicing like crazy. That's the best thing you can do with a manual. Run it over and over again until you're nailing those shifts.

Keep in mind that this may honestly mean going through a tranny and clutch, but in the end it will be worth it if you really want to drive well and consistently nail those shifts. My brother broke his transmission with only 10,000 miles on it (bought it with ~3,500) because he took it out and beat the hell out of it practicing pretty much every day. He rebuilt it and now has 28,000 miles on the rebuilt stocker and is without a doubt the fastest shifter I've ever seen, clutching OR powershifting including videos I've seen online. Practice pays off big time in the end.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

stalled autos!!!!!!!!
x2 my buddies car (m6) has 40 more horse and I pull on him, doesn't seem to matter what speed.