Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

05 CTS-V vs. 350Z and Tauras SHO (first kills in new car!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V6s are gutless?
I've seen plenty of 6 cylinder cars that make more than or the same amount of torque as hp.
Grand National anyone?
BMW 335i and 135i perhaps?
Toyota Supra maybe?

If you can see the pattern, forced induction does wonders...

How comfortable is it living an ignorant life?

Also, Manalishi, even the car mags have managed a 13.1 at 108mph. That isn't close to an LS1 fbody?

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 05-16-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
V6s are gutless?
I've seen plenty of 6 cylinder cars that make more than or the same amount of torque as hp.
Grand National anyone?
BMW 335i and 135i perhaps?
Toyota Supra maybe?

If you can see the pattern, forced induction does wonders...

Also, Manalishi, even the car mags have managed a 13.1 at 108mph. That isn't close to an LS1 fbody?

How comfortable is it living an ignorant life?
There are but the car being discussed isn't one of them. I appreciate any performance car but having driven the 370 its not that impressive. Having owned several six cylinder BMW's I can speak about them, even the NA cars are pretty damn fast mostly top speed not acceleration. I set the cruise on my 5 series in Germany at 155 MPH and enjoyed the ride.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:16 AM
***Repost Police***

The 370Z might not feel fast, but you can't argue that they are slow and that a stock LS1 F-body is fast. A 370Z is like a Mach 1 with more top end.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The 370Z might not feel fast, but you can't argue that they are slow and that a stock LS1 F-body is fast. A 370Z is like a Mach 1 with more top end.
I didn't and wouldn't.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:30 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
1st race- Friday night on the way home after work pulled up to a light on the service road of Dallas North Tollway and a 350Z pulls up next to me... I look over and the 350Z guy started Reving at me! I asked what mods he had and he said exhaust CAI and tune. He had thought I was just a reg CTS because he asked how much my V6 put out! I tolld him enough, but then he started talking about how tweaked out he was! I just rolled up my window on him in mid sentence. Light turned green and we went. He automaticaly jumped out by a car! By mid gear in first I was passing him and by 2nd gear I put about 3 cars on him! He then did the ricer move and jusmped onto the Tollway and took off! I wasnt able to talk to him after that!

2nd race- Sunday morning on my way to work I was on I35 heading towards 635! It was about 6:00am with almost no one on the road! I was flighing at about 75mph when I noticed that I was in a lane that was about to exit! I sped up to about 85mph so I could get in front of a car that I was already in the process of passing so I wouldnt have to exit. As soon as I got side by side with the car I was trying to pass he started pacing me so I couldnt get over and force me to take the exit! I got pissed off hit my brakes and got behind him! As I got behind him I saw the "SHO" emblem on the back of his car so I got in the far left lane and went back to 75mph to pass him! I looked back and he was about 3 cars back so I just let it go! Before I know it I see him flying past me so I downshifted and auto matically stopped his pull and put about 3 cars on him before I noticed a HUGE puttle in my lane that caused me to have to slow down so I wouldnt hit the wall at 115+
He then flew past me so I just let him go!!!! Lol, the SHO was WAY MORE of a challenge the the Z car!!!! Anyways these were my VERY FIRST KILLS in my new V!!!!
Nice kill.

Too bad you aren't closer to my side of the country, i'd run you in the benz. I'd love to put another unsuspecting CTS-V driver under my belt.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

When you're talking about racing, who cares if you don't make power below 3,000rpm? A 370Z is right there with an LS1, even though it's a V6.
yes it's a v6, and it might "hang" with an ls1 for a bit, but it will bow out as you get moving. sure they are starting to pull some semi-respectable horsepower out of that v6, but it's a trade off. it becomes a very peaky engine with low torque-- it is an inferior platform.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:40 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by big hammer
yes it's a v6, and it might "hang" with an ls1 for a bit, but it will bow out as you get moving. sure they are starting to pull some semi-respectable horsepower out of that v6, but it's a trade off. it becomes a very peaky engine with low torque-- it is an inferior platform.
Depends what you're looking for. If you want a new car, there isn't much that can touch the 370Z (not just straightline) for the money. It's a great performing sports car. Nobody is arguing that it's the best platform for drag racing, but calling it "slow" compared to an LS1 F-body is pretty dumb.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:45 PM
9 Second Club

Depends what you're looking for. If you want a new car, there isn't much that can touch the 370Z (not just straightline) for the money. It's a great performing sports car. Nobody is arguing that it's the best platform for drag racing, but calling it "slow" compared to an LS1 F-body is pretty dumb.
Calling it a "great performing sports car" might be taking it a bit too far.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:55 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by ARCTIC '00
Calling it a "great performing sports car" might be taking it a bit too far.
For $30k, yes it performs great. The C6 is better of course, and for $12k more it better be.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:01 PM
9 Second Club

For $30k, yes it performs great. The C6 is better of course, and for $12k more it better be.
I guess. As long as it's the Nissan and not one of those chick car Infinity's.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

I would choose a stock C6 over a stock 370z,
BUT
The 370z does stop quicker from 70mph, in only 154ft vs the c6's 166ft
Also, the 370z enthusiast pulls 1.01 G's, Vs the C6's .98 G's.
The C6's LS2/3 completely outpowers the VQ37 obviously though...
Old 05-16-2009, 09:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
I would choose a stock C6 over a stock 370z,
BUT
The 370z does stop quicker from 70mph, in only 154ft vs the c6's 166ft
Also, the 370z enthusiast pulls 1.01 G's, Vs the C6's .98 G's.
The C6's LS2/3 completely outpowers the VQ37 obviously though...
Damn 1.01 on the skidpad is stout. Didn't know they handled that well.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ARCTIC '00
Nice kill.

Too bad you aren't closer to my side of the country, i'd run you in the benz. I'd love to put another unsuspecting CTS-V driver under my belt.
What Benz do you have? And....assuming everything works out, he'll be racing my Benz next weekend....so we'll see how that works out.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
lol, Not a chance! they look to plain for me! Debadged is good enough for me! Did you get my PM? Shoot me that Text when you get into town so the lux cars can go play
Yea, I think the reg. CTS grille is kinda

I did get your PM, and sent my number is a reply. Hopefully next week something will work out. Nothing like a Star vs a Crest & Wreath.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:07 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
What Benz do you have? And....assuming everything works out, he'll be racing my Benz next weekend....so we'll see how that works out.
Palladium Silver '08 C63 AMG.

I see by your sig you have an '03 CL600, which if my memory serves correctly that was the first year Mercedez Benz wen't with the Bi-turbo 493hp/585tq 5.5L V-12. Those cars were good for mid 12-second passes down the strip. I doubt you'll have the slightest problem with a stock or near stock '05 CTS-V.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:03 PM

For those who have easily beat a 350Z it was most likely a pre07 car as the 3.5VQHR received major mods which included twin throttle bodies and essentially twin OEM ~ ram air CAI (two air filters) from the front bumper ports. They are VERY underrated at 306 HP. I have seen a 07 Z stay right with my buddies GTO. BTW it was the 13th straight year the Nissan VQ engine received WARD's auto industry magazine top ten engine awards (more than BMW or anyone else). I don't own either, I am a truck guy myself.
FYI, these are the changes the VQ3.5 engine received in 2007 (VQHR). Over 80% of the parts were changed.

The VQ35HR update was first seen in the US in the 2007 G35 Sedan models, which debuted in August 2006. Nissan updated the VQ line with the addition of the 3.5 L VQ35HR (for "High Revolution" or "High Response"). It produces 315 PS (311 hp/232 kW) (US market: 306 PS (302 hp/225 kW) due to new US federal measurement regulations) at 6,800 rpm and 37 kg·m (363 N·m; 268 ft·lbf) at 4,800 rpm, using a compression ratio of 10.6:1. It has NDIS (Nissan Direct Ignition System) and CVTC with hydraulic actuation on the intake cam and electromagnetic on the exhaust cam. Redline is 7,500 rpm. Reportedly over 80% of the internal components were redesigned or strengthened to handle an increased RPM range sporting a lofty 7,500 rpm redline. A new dual-path intake (two air cleaners, throttle bodies, etc.) lowers intake tract restriction by 18 percent and new equal-length exhaust manifolds lead into mufflers that are 25 percent freer flowing for all around better gas flow. The new intake is said to benefit from a ram-air effect adding three horsepower at 60 mph (not accounted for by SAE testing methods). The electrically actuated variable valve timing on the exhaust cams to broaden the torque curve is new over the "DE" engine. The new engine block retains the same bore and stroke, but the connecting rods were lengthened and the block deck was raised by 8.4 mm to reduce piston side-loads. This modification, along with the use of larger crank bearings with main bearing caps reinforced by a rigid ladder-type main cap girdle to allow the engine reliably rev to 7500 rpm. With an increase in compression ratio from 10.3:1 to 10.6:1 these changes add 6 more horsepower (306 total + 3 hp ram air efect not measured by SAE testing = 309 hp). Peak torque is up 8 pound-feet from the old "DE" engine (260 vs. 268) and the torque curve is higher and flatter across most of the rpm range, and especially in the lower rpm range.

The 07 and 08 Z cars can be identified by a slight hood bulge (aluminum too) to clear the twin throttle bodies and LED taillights.

Last edited by Cillyone; 05-16-2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: z car features
Old 05-17-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

There's no reason to write all that out Cillyone...
Most people on here don't care about all that.
Those who do care already know it.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:44 AM

I did not "write' it out", it was a copy & paste form the Nissan website. I still have a very warm spot in my heart for V8 muscle, I have owned some really nice muscle cars over the years, that is kind of why I am here now, I would like to "come back" someday. My friends GTO is what has inspired me. At the same time I just absolutely love the old Toyota 4x4s and fast modern motorcycles, street or dirt. Some of you may not care but the reality is that the American V8 does not have a monopoly on muscle anymore. The Japanese are producing some really mean, affordable V6's and V8's and we cannot bury our heads in the sand and ignore them. Has anybody taken a ride in a new Tundra?
Old 05-17-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

^^That's even more reason to not post it.
Just post the link from now on or you're going to look like a huge troll...
Just a friendly warning.

I'm very familiar with imports.
Most people aren't interested in the newer Z's on here though, if they are then they'll find that info anyway.

Also, if you want to seriously dicuss your post, the Z, or the Tundra, then you should open up your own thread in the lounge.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:10 PM

No troll here, I seem to remember that there was mention of the 350Z in the TITLE of this thread, but you say I should not say anything on this subject? I also notice no one else seems has a problem with me talking about a car listed in the subject of the thread. My past cars (before taking care of my parents and wife & kids): 67 SS 396, 69 Z28, 69 SS 350 Camaro pace car,70 SS Nova, two 69 GTO's, 1970 TA, 1979 Formula 400. Nothing recently as my family has dominated my life for the last 3 decades, but I hope to learn more about the LS family here, and pick up a car. Over the years I have read every car/truck/motorcycle magazine I have come across cover-to-cover and is the only way I have kept up at all. BTW, nice friendly, understanding welcome!

Quick Reply: 05 CTS-V vs. 350Z and Tauras SHO (first kills in new car!)