Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice
View Poll Results: What type of street racing does your city do mostly?
Dig races
37.90%
Roll races
62.10%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Dig races or Roll races? What does your city mostly do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch?e=20090418122447586

PART 2
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch?e=20090418150603315
Old 05-07-2009, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Orlando Florida, roll racing is popular here...i like digs better tho
Old 05-07-2009, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

... all for the 30 rolls
Old 05-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
Racing from a stop shows which car has better traction and gearing. A full bolt on GT mustang with slicks and gears will yank a lot of cars from a dig, but its still slow as *****. Racing from a roll tells you which car is ACTUALLY making a better power/weight. Around here we also have a lot of 600++HP cars that come out and race every week and when your making that kind of power or more your MUCH more likely to break things off the line then from a roll....which is why we do mostly roll racing here.

Exactly. This thread is more about caliber of car than what is generally done. If your group of guys are the 7xx-9xxwhp crowd you are going to be racing from a roll and even then there will be traction issues. The ammount of suspension/chassis mods needed to make this kind of hp car hook on the street makes that car less streetable than me and my friends like. I don't see many fellas here 700+hp talking about how "real driver this and real drivers that" while defending their stance that dig runs are the way it has to be.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:36 PM
c6r
On The Tree

:=Clean94Z;11560967]http://www.xtranormal.com/watch?e=20090418122447586

PART 2
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch?e=20090418150603315[/QUOTE]

You Ronald Mc Donald looking mother fu*ker, this **** was funny as hel*.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in MIAMI we run from a dig. Only the fwd cars try to run rolls. I would say 90% are dig runs.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by R W B
So I have a friend with a MKIV Supra and he swears that New Orleans is one of only a few cities that does mainly dig races so I wanna know if hes right. I'm talking about cars with some power behind them, not just stock hondas, any kind too, domestics, imports, euros, all of them.

Do people street race from a dig or from a roll mostly in your city? Please say what city your from too.
I go to New Orleans to race on Hanes and there is nothing but digs there. We also do nothing but digs in MS... If you suggest a roll race over here in MS you will get made fun of. The only time we go from a roll is when we are changing locations to race.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Roger Z06
I go to New Orleans to race on Hanes and there is nothing but digs there. We also do nothing but digs in MS... If you suggest a roll race over here in MS you will get made fun of. The only time we go from a roll is when we are changing locations to race.
Damn thats so crazy! Its the exact opposite here....Dig guys dont get made fun of they just dont get any races. Hey eventually either roll race or dont come out anymore.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 40ROLL?
Damn thats so crazy! Its the exact opposite here....Dig guys dont get made fun of they just dont get any races. Hey eventually either roll race or dont come out anymore.
Our argument is a roll race is basically like saying "Hey neither one of us can skillfully drive our cars." Or hey my car is FWD and making to much HP to EVER HOOk. We call it *** racing instead of drag racing. If is really according to what kind of cars you have in your areas. The mostly import areas roll race.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:28 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
Anyone that wants to have fun isn't gonna go drop their first 3-4K for parts in suspension and tires just to hook up their stock powered car. Not everyone races to get the label of "super serious hard *** street racer guy." I do dig or roll and just launch soft out of a dig. Some of you take this **** way too seriously.
"Roll racing is for guys who can't drive." -The stock A4 LS1 owner
"Dig racing is for cars with no power." -The FWD turbo 4 cylinder owner

Different strokes for different folks... it's all about having fun.
The smart people that want to win races do! Just like me, bone stock motor with some suspension work and tires and ran 7.6's in the 1/8 & 11.9's-12.0's in the 1/4 banging gears no engine mods at all, just exhaust and 4.10 gears.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roger Z06
Thats how it is here for the most part, I've never ever heard of so much enthusiasm for roll racing unless its a situation where the car really can not hook.

I prefer dig racing. Simply because it takes more skill to get a car to move out of the hole than it does to just make more and more power. Don't get me wrong a roll race is a good judge of who has the better power to weight ratio - but a real RACE is from a dig. A combination of drivetrain and suspension setup, and driver skill.

Dan03Mach - your car is ****** sweet
Old 05-08-2009, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
Thats how it is here for the most part, I've never ever heard of so much enthusiasm for roll racing unless its a situation where the car really can not hook.

I prefer dig racing. Simply because it takes more skill to get a car to move out of the hole than it does to just make more and more power. Don't get me wrong a roll race is a good judge of who has the better power to weight ratio - but a real RACE is from a dig. A combination of drivetrain and suspension setup, and driver skill.

Dan03Mach - your car is ****** sweet
i agree, a roll race is really who has dumped the most money into their car and ripped the most weight out.

a dig race is whats invested into the car but in several area's not just the motor, and it also takes some skill for the driver to know how to drive his specific car.

IE: buddy i race regularly at the 1320 has a 2000 SLP Firehawk bolt-on, he should walk my ***, but he is a **** poor driver and short shifts so at the drag strip i always win. and his car was 4X the cost of mine.
he invests in things like nicer rims, with shitty street tires, while i invested in some DR's. . . but in the end i guess it all just is different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
i agree, a roll race is really who has dumped the most money into their car and ripped the most weight out.

a dig race is whats invested into the car but in several area's not just the motor, and it also takes some skill for the driver to know how to drive his specific car.

IE: buddy i race regularly at the 1320 has a 2000 SLP Firehawk bolt-on, he should walk my ***, but he is a **** poor driver and short shifts so at the drag strip i always win. and his car was 4X the cost of mine.
he invests in things like nicer rims, with shitty street tires, while i invested in some DR's. . . but in the end i guess it all just is different strokes for different folks.
I prefer to go from a dig. My car puts the power down relatively well for what it is. There is a little bit of a difference between putting power down in a almost stock a4 lt1 car and a 800+whp m6 car on the street. There are reasons people do roll races. Funny how almost every single guy here with some sort of "driver skill" thing to say is on the lower end of the hp ladder. Next time I see John Force I'm gonna give him some driving tips.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dan03mach
The smart people that want to win races do! Just like me, bone stock motor with some suspension work and tires and ran 7.6's in the 1/8 & 11.9's-12.0's in the 1/4 banging gears no engine mods at all, just exhaust and 4.10 gears.
This is the exact reason we do roll racing here, your car is running GREAT times for the power its making im sure. And congrats for that. But around here we want to know which car is FASTER, not which car is QUICKER. You'd pull a lot of 400-450HP cars out of the whole but line up from a roll and race and you'll see exactly why your car isnt in the same "league as those cars even if you can run similar 1/4 mile times.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ibepressin
I prefer to go from a dig. My car puts the power down relatively well for what it is. There is a little bit of a difference between putting power down in a almost stock a4 lt1 car and a 800+whp m6 car on the street. There are reasons people do roll races. Funny how almost every single guy here with some sort of "driver skill" thing to say is on the lower end of the hp ladder. Next time I see John Force I'm gonna give him some driving tips.
Whoa big guy i wasnt giving you any tips i was just stating my opinion just like you had about the topic. And im a little bit farther away from mostly stock, but i dont need to get into that.

You are only testing one variable really when roll racing who has a better power/weight ratio.

There are other factors involved in dig races, including more driver skill, launch, traction, acceleration. . . etc. . .

If just feel like all the guys who have high HP cars use that as an excuse as to why they should roll race. Learn to baby it out of the hole until a reasonable speed and then hammer it. Every car i owned before this one was manual and its not really that hard if you know your car well enough.

and FTR my car launches pretty effin hard on the street, and traction is not something i usually have until mid 2nd gear. [ yes i know some of you guys dont get traction until mid 3rd or even 4th, congrats really ]

Also there are quite a few guys on here that have said they prefer dig races and i know they've got some nasty rides. And lets not forget even people with half the power i have still suggest roll races because they have trouble launching. . . they are the FWD guys.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

Actually a FWD guy I know will run from a dig if you tell him ahead of time so he can get tires on it. He rolls on street tires all day, but on slicks, runs damn near 11's. He mostely will race from a roll, but again....given a heads up, he is down for a dig. If I had another set of tires, I would also. I will go from a dig, but perfer not too. But its whatever...I will give the race if I can get my race back. I wont lie though..I can't drive the best from a dig, plus my street tires are meh, plus I don't want to break ****. But its whatever..I take what I can get.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd say half an half, if its from a dig I'd say it's who the better driver is. If it's from a roll i'd say its more the car
Old 05-08-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nightmare23
... all for the 30 rolls
+1
Old 05-08-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ibepressin
Exactly. This thread is more about caliber of car than what is generally done. If your group of guys are the 7xx-9xxwhp crowd you are going to be racing from a roll and even then there will be traction issues. The ammount of suspension/chassis mods needed to make this kind of hp car hook on the street makes that car less streetable than me and my friends like. I don't see many fellas here 700+hp talking about how "real driver this and real drivers that" while defending their stance that dig runs are the way it has to be.
Most dont realize that you have to go as aggressive on everything else as did your motor...

The reason a lot of us dont lay down 700+ (other than money) is exactly what you said. Their not willing to deal with the car that can.

Drivers make a good difference in both kinds of racing. More so in digs but rolls two. I dont think it means you cant drive if you roll.

And its not about the caliber of car. boostedgt ty_ty13 both lay insane power on the street and hook.

The thing about digs is it is much easier for a person to build smart and have a nasty car. Roll's are honestly more $ vs $. Not always, and i have seen some INSANE budget cars setup to roll, but for the most part all a person has to do is out spend you.

This is true to a degree in digs as well. But i think their's a lot more involved.

Really tho beauty.... if all you car about is power/weight.... why not meet up at a scale and everyone have dyno sheets in hand. then you guys could save gas.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

i was jsut having this debate with my friend, on long island EVERYTHING is from a roll... im up at college and he swore by dig races, he even proclaimed that a roll race isnt even a race and that im an idiot and dont know anything

hes from upstate NY (that prob explains it lol) and he says they go to back roads, someone gets out, waves them to go, race to 100-120 turn around to pick the guy up, and leave (like something from a movie)

Quick Reply: Dig races or Roll races? What does your city mostly do?