Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

DEATH by GT-r (with his wife in it)...ow....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ODUB
i say the same thing about mustangs and camaros just about every day. mustang owners are the worst because with the exception of the Cobras, Mach 1, and the GT500, every other mustang trim is pretty much a joke.
I will add that anybody can be a ***** driving any kind of car. The worst douche bag I've seen was a GT500 owner and after that, all the others ***** were G35/Lexus/supra/Skyline driver. Yess, some ******** were mustang driver but nobody who drives a fbody is an a-hole
Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread is like all the other GTR threads. It starts out innocently enough and then morphs into a spot for fanboi trolls to "educate" us one the finer points of a car that a lot of us repect but wouldn't own. Is the GTR a fine automobile? No doubt. Is it something that I would own. NO. Why? I don't like it. Nothing more nothing less. ODUB I still would like to see where you are getting your info from. I have looked at the serious GTR sites, not the fanboi ones, and that 11.3 time in stock trim has not been accomplished in a stock car. Not from what I have read. Magazine tests don't hold much water for me. Too easy to manipulate the data and its too easy for the manufacturer to ensure the car does its best, which makes the car not stock.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
This thread is like all the other GTR threads. It starts out innocently enough and then morphs into a spot for fanboi trolls to "educate" us one the finer points of a car that a lot of us repect but wouldn't own. Is the GTR a fine automobile? No doubt. Is it something that I would own. NO. Why? I don't like it. Nothing more nothing less. ODUB I still would like to see where you are getting your info from. I have looked at the serious GTR sites, not the fanboi ones, and that 11.3 time in stock trim has not been accomplished in a stock car. Not from what I have read. Magazine tests don't hold much water for me. Too easy to manipulate the data and its too easy for the manufacturer to ensure the car does its best, which makes the car not stock.
the link i posted was a stock GT-R with a factory update to the software. that's still stock. i'll see if i can find if the guy posted his slips anywhere. he told me he ran 11.3 @ 125 in his car. i've heard of more than one doing that. also realize that not every GT-R owner posts on forums. just like not every EVO owner posts on EVO forums, etc.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

the link i posted was a stock GT-R with a factory update to the software. that's still stock. i'll see if i can find if the guy posted his slips anywhere. he told me he ran 11.3 @ 125 in his car. i've heard of more than one doing that. also realize that not every GT-R owner posts on forums. just like not every EVO owner posts on EVO forums, etc.
I understand that everyone is not on the internet. That factory update you are talking about. Is it available to everyone as an option or is it a means of making the car look faster for a magazine that the average guy can't have?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:05 AM
***Repost Police***

From what I understand, it's kinda like a TSB. Available to everyone.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
I understand that everyone is not on the internet. That factory update you are talking about. Is it available to everyone as an option or is it a means of making the car look faster for a magazine that the average guy can't have?
it's available to everybody. i'm sorry, but you guys are some paranoid muthafuckers. always looking for an angle to cut down the GT-R, EVO, or anything else of foriegn origin that kicks domestic cars asses. magazine tricks? trying to make things look faster and all this bullshit? c'mon now.

as for all this comparision of the GT-R to the ZR1, it's pretty stupid considering the GT-R is at least 30k cheaper. i say at least because the GT-R's MSRP is around 70k, 73k for the premium, and the ZR1 can go anywhere from what 100k-120k? you could easily buy a GT-R and make it faster than the ZR1 for way less money. if you want to compare performance, the best competition would be the Z06. the same could also be said for the Z06/GT-R comparison because the Z06 is cheaper than the GT-R and could be made faster for less money, but stock for stock the comparo between the two is the best because the power levels are a lot closer than the with the ZR1. The ZR1 wins against the GT-R because it's got more power, period. i still think the GT-R is a better all around car than the Z06, and can be better than the ZR1 for far less money.

the power thing goes for the Viper ACR as well. Also, the Viper ACR's magical time around the 'Ring is very impressive, but also shouldn't be directly compared to the GT-R's or even the ZR1's because the thing has fully adjustable coilovers, wings, and they even had engineers out there that day tampering with gear ratios of the transmission and everything else. fit the GT-R or ZR1 with adjustable aero, suspension, and transmissions, and you've got a whole different ball game.

to the idiot making claims about the ACR being faster solely because it was RWD, you're still an idiot. the ACR's got 600hp. that's what made it faster. have you ever seen a map of the nurburgring? do you even know what it is? have you ever bothered to run it on Gran Turismo or Forza, or even watched a video of it being run? it's 13 miles long, and full of straight sections. one such straight section runs over a mile by itself. guess what that favors...high horsepower, high top speed cars. yes the course is a big challenge for handling, but high horsepower cars do have a huge advantage and can make up a lot of time even if they are slower in the corners because of the straight sections.

also, skidpad numbers and slalom numbers do not tell the whole story in a car's handling. they also vary wildly from one test to the next, so you can't go find the worst a car's ever tested to put it against the best the other car's ever tested. i've seen tests where both the GT-R and ZR1 pulled over 1g on the skidpad. I've also seen other tests where the GT-R did a .90 and the ZR1 wasn't much better. 2009 Civic Si's do .91g, so does that mean the Civic Si handles as good or better than the GT-R and the ZR1? no, it doesn't.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Teching In

You make some great points ODUB and I agree with a lot of what you say. Unfortunately the import hate will never die amongst a very vocal minority. I think the reality is that the majority of people in here and other car forums are all about the car - not the country where it's made, a stereotype of the people who drive them, or some other subjective whim a rational person could never hope to rebut.

...i still think the GT-R is a better all around car than the Z06...
Here's where I have a slight difference of opinion. I love both of these cars and nobody loves AWD more than me - I own an AWD FX35, Subaru LGT wagon and an Evo VIII. So it's obviously not drivetrain bias or anything like that. I just think if you're talking about sheer performance potential, whether it be in a straight-line or around a road course, the Zo6 has the GT-R beat in all the right departments. Most importantly of which is curb weight. Look no further than how our relatively light 3.1K lb Evo's punish front tires and then translate that to a GT-R pushing close to 3.9K lbs IIRC. It's quick as hell around a track but I'm taking the significantly lighter Zo6 if I'm anticipating a competitive field with some tuning potential.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Steiner
You make some great points ODUB and I agree with a lot of what you say. Unfortunately the import hate will never die amongst a very vocal minority. I think the reality is that the majority of people in here and other car forums are all about the car - not the country where it's made, a stereotype of the people who drive them, or some other subjective whim a rational person could never hope to rebut.

Here's where I have a slight difference of opinion. I love both of these cars and nobody loves AWD more than me - I own an AWD FX35, Subaru LGT wagon and an Evo VIII. So it's obviously not drivetrain bias or anything like that. I just think if you're talking about sheer performance potential, whether it be in a straight-line or around a road course, the Zo6 has the GT-R beat in all the right departments. Most importantly of which is curb weight. Look no further than how our relatively light 3.1K lb Evo's punish front tires and then translate that to a GT-R pushing close to 3.9K lbs IIRC. It's quick as hell around a track but I'm taking the significantly lighter Zo6 if I'm anticipating a competitive field with some tuning potential.
you make a good point about the weight, but that's nothing that can't be fixed. also, if comparing to the Z06, it's already faster than the Z06 in everything but a straight line even with all that weight, so that proves it's potential is higher. as far as the punishing front tires, if driven right, it shouldn't be that big of an issue. but, if the GT-R does punish it's fronts, the Z06 will definately punish it's rears. i don't have much of a problem with my EVO pushing unless i'm just over driving the car. that's not the car's fault, that's the driver. i still think the GT-R is a better ALL AROUND car because it's useful in more situations. it's already faster in everything but a straight line, for me it would be more comfortable (i'm 6'4" and the interior of the vette just feels small), and you can use it no matter what the weather conditions. as for performance, the ZR1 is the one that beats the GT-R, not the Z06, but the ZR1 is 30k more. for anything but drag racing (which i don't care much about anyway), give me the GT-R.