Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a Gutted turbo CRX yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran a Gutted turbo CRX yesterday

Gotta give the guy props he went a long way with a little cash but not quit far enough. We ran out on his choice of roads which was unfortunately one of the worst roads for traction in town. (The import crew always picks this one for some reason.) The weather has been cold and moist and it was foggy, wet, and 40 something degrees out. The CRX has no interior, no ac, no heat, no cd, no firewall, holes in the floor pans etc. He basically had no weight at all oh yea and no spare. When you look in it it looks pretty bad because the wall and roof are just bare sheet metal. The turbo is a liquid cooled turbo I'm not sure what kind but it had a blow off valve somewhere in there because i heard it. The setup was pretty well put together. Anyways we head out to his road, it was pretty slick, I launched mild but still spun the tires really bad. It didn't matter too much though because by the time I was at about 60 I was driving around the guy and then right about when he got to my rear quarter I heard and aweful sound like a shotgun going off. I look back and see him falling very fast behind. This happened around the 1/8 mile. Evidently he blew the downpipe off the car from all the pressure. I was already ahead and pulling fairly good though when it happened and he said he really slows down acceleration the second half of the quarter so it would have probably just gotten ugly for him if we had kept in it. Nice guy though and a good run. Oh he also had heads and cam work along with full exhaust on the CRX. One funny thing I could hear the turbo spooling at idle. I'm not sure what that means because I had never seen it happen before but it was kinda funny.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:24 PM
STF Veteran

Damn! Nice kill to say the LEAST!
Maybe he could have used some of the stickers off his car to MacGuyver it until he got it home!(If he had any?) Sucks to be him!
Old 11-10-2003, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice kill Sounds like one of a very few cool honda owners that knows what they are doing and dont give stupid ricer excuses.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

He didn't have too many stickers he did have a bunch of little painted on cars up at the front fender for the races he had won before. I thought that was kinda funny. The actual paint of the car looked pretty bad he didnt do anything for looks, all go no show, so to speak. Plus one fender was white so he could paint the little black cars on it and the rest of the car was a primer navy blue. It wasn't anything at all to look at but it sure had a decent punch down low.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:58 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These junkyard imports are real strange. Why don't we all drive around with different color body panels. Oh, yeah that was a movie already... no not F&F... it was called Mad Max.
Nice kill!
Old 11-10-2003, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

You think the outside sounded strange he had to move the radiator mounts in toward the fenders about 3-4 inches on both sides to fit the radiator in. It appeared to be an aluminum radiator but and wasn't as deep as the stock one but was alot wider. It also had to be partially turned at an angle to fit in place. The fans were dual electric and the radiator/fan unit looked almost like the one off of the ls1 f-bods. I'm not sure where the radiator came from though so I can't be certain. The intercooler however was supposedly off of a Ford Probe GT (or something of that make) and he said the turbo/intercooler setup was liquid cooled. One cool thing is the turbo and cooling setup was all done within the last few months, so if it was an LS1 radiator there might be a salvagable LS1 engine lying in one of the junkyards around here.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

good kill, and nice to see another nice honda driver with no ricer excuses!
Old 11-10-2003, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

good kill my son, good kill
Old 11-10-2003, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice kill, sounds like it was a pretty mean import.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:45 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Nice kill ... Did you catch what type of boost he was running? Obviously, whatever it was, it was too much.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
Nice kill ... Did you catch what type of boost he was running? Obviously, whatever it was, it was too much.
They said he was running around 15psi usually but I think when he raced me he was boosting more than normal so it might be closer to 20. Not certain though.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

He did have all forged internals. I'm not sure if he had the engine bored when he changed internals.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:58 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Well I think we need our resident import guy 25psi to take a look at this and tell us what he thinks .... OH 25! GET OUT HERE!
Old 11-11-2003, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
Well I think we need our resident import guy 25psi to take a look at this and tell us what he thinks .... OH 25! GET OUT HERE!
I went to talk to the owner of the CRX again last night to find out some more details but he wasn't home. The boost was what his friends had told me so until I hear it from him I won't take it as gospel. Also me and him are scheduled for another run when the roads dry up some and he tunes his fuel mixture some.