Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

RAPED an 07 Cobalt SS and..

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAPED an 07 Cobalt SS and..

I was getting on the FWY, heading east and I see this black Cobalt. I noticed an A-pillar full of gauges and got really excited thinking "HELL YEAH, a modded SS/TC! This should be fun!". As soon as I merged onto the freeway, the dude obviously saw me as he dropped down a few gears and momentarily went WOT, hoping to entice me? At this time, I didn't hear much other than his terrible sounding exhaust. So, when things finally cleared up, we got door and door. He rolled down his window and held up three fingers and began to count down. As soon as he went WOT, to my dismay, I heard the SC..

Unfortunately, there was a semi that was only about 3-4 car lengths ahead of him and I did not give chase. He let off almost immediately and dropped back to even with me. I shook my head and pointed to the semi.
As luck would have it, right after I shook my head, the semi exited off....
At this point, we're doing about 45mph and I dropped her into 2nd. He had to have been in 2nd gear as his revs were through the roof (or so it sounded anyway). I held up 3 fingers and pointed to my horn. He nodded and I started the honks. Right after the third honk, we both hit it and I immediately began to pull. His S/C was pretty loud too! I hit third and continue to pull hard as hell, looked back and I **** you not, was a good bus length behind by the top of third, so I shut down.

We got off the freeway and chatted at the light. Said the car had a pulley, intake, exhaust and a tune. Was a pretty cool dude. Anyone have an idea of what these cars are trapping? ET doesnt matter as a FWD car with a PD blower is just crazy.

Also, had a run in with a complete twin of my car, SRM 06 GTO with tint, factory 18's and modifications. Went from a 40 till about 85ish and I pulled 1 1/4 cars on him. I would have liked a light to light run as I've been very successful with launching this car on the street lately
Old 07-01-2009, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech expects you to beat a cobalt ss. Well depending on if you're stock or not. But who is stock anymore?
Old 07-01-2009, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you should race for emblems. you beat him, you get to take his SS emblems off.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

mine trapped 100 stock and after the pulley, injectors, intake, cat back, and a horrible canned tune it was trapping 103...
Old 07-01-2009, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tityrous
mine trapped 100 stock and after the pulley, injectors, intake, cat back, and a horrible canned tune it was trapping 103...
and my stock TC 103.5

I have yet to race 3rd or 4th gen yet.
Mostly just lil kids in their hondas or the guys in their 350z's.....
Old 07-01-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
LS1Tech expects you to beat a cobalt ss. Well depending on if you're stock or not. But who is stock anymore?
Stock? Yeah, that's me

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
you should race for emblems. you beat him, you get to take his SS emblems off.
That's a great idea but I would catch hell for an "SS GTO"

Yea, definitely not enough, which is why I wasn't too thrilled. I've seen similiarly modded SS/SC Cobalts running at my local track and I've seen 105-106 traps. Just wanted to see what others were seeing? Even 105-106 traps wouldn't be enough...

Originally Posted by hugger1975
and my stock TC 103.5

I have yet to race 3rd or 4th gen yet.
Mostly just lil kids in their hondas or the guys in their 350z's.....
See, I was hoping it was a modded SS/TC as these cars can move out with "like wise" modifications.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Dude, you described an encounter that I had with that exact same guy.

I saw him pull off to go on the 60 west at higley, so I followed him. he attempted some ******* flyby, and I immediately shut his **** down and ended up doing about 130 with him bus lengths back.

Then he waits like a full minute to get right up next to me, and starts the 3 honks. Being that his car is manual, he hung from that 60 roll for a good.... 3 seconds.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I want to find some Modded SS's . I think there is 1 or 2 turbo cobalts around here....the only stage two SC car around was my friends, and I pulled him when I was stock.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
Man, I want to find some Modded SS's . I think there is 1 or 2 turbo cobalts around here....the only stage two SC car around was my friends, and I pulled him when I was stock.
Yeah, they really aren't too impressive, but I'm just waiting for the one cobalt owner to come in this thread and go "blah blah blah my stage 3 blah blah 115 mph trap blah blah"
Old 07-01-2009, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'll still run down a 115 mph cobalt .
Old 07-01-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

when mines up and running ill be happy to race anyone who wants to have fun killed or be killed doesnt matter i have not drivin the car in 3 years there isnt much that is stock in the motor besides the timing chain... but the sooner court will come the sooner it is back on the road its been a fight the whole way!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gaunt
Yeah, they really aren't too impressive, but I'm just waiting for the one cobalt owner to come in this thread and go "blah blah blah my stage 3 blah blah 115 mph trap blah blah"
if really you only have 330 hp, 340 tq like your sig says, a tuned TC would give you a damn good roll race......saying they aren't impressive is kind of ignorant. people do not expect what they can do. they are hard as hell to launch so feel free to pick on the roll comment, its just that at 3000lbs, 300+ HP is pretty impressive.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

if really you only have 330 hp, 340 tq like your sig says, a tuned TC would give you a damn good roll race......saying they aren't impressive is kind of ignorant. people do not expect what they can do. they are hard as hell to launch so feel free to pick on the roll comment, its just that at 3000lbs, 300+ HP is pretty impressive.
Are you kidding me? 300 HP is nothing, even in a 3000lb car.

****, my car is nothing impressive, so if you got that vibe, you might as well correct it now.

Just so I'm not mincing words. My car is a slow piece of ****, and so is any 3000 lb 300 hp FWD car.

Also, I'm not sure where you pulled the 300+ HP out of, but I was mainly waiting for the random people to come in the thread going "MY CAR RUNS 9s IT HAS UPGRADED EVERYTHING I COULD RAPE ALL YOU" etc.

If you notice, I was right on that one btw
Also, for what it's worth, those dyno numbers are through a 3600 stall and 95 degree heat in the arizona mountains. More fool to you if you race with dyno numbers.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, you described an encounter that I had with that exact same guy.

I saw him pull off to go on the 60 west at higley, so I followed him. he attempted some ******* flyby, and I immediately shut his **** down and ended up doing about 130 with him bus lengths back.

Then he waits like a full minute to get right up next to me, and starts the 3 honks. Being that his car is manual, he hung from that 60 roll for a good.... 3 seconds.
LOL Doesn't surprise me. Maybe I'll get lucky and catch you around town

The SS/SC Cobalts aren't, not at all. I too was waiting for the cobalt nuthuggers to hop in here, hence my thread title

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
I think I'll still run down a 115 mph cobalt .
Hehe, with your setup, you shouldn't have a problem. I had a H/C setup (before the 384 stroker) on my old SS using the AZPS03 (242/248) with GMPP LS6 heads and it was a ******* ripper. Compression was bumped slightly (10.5:1) and I pulled 451/400 in 110 degree weather

Just an FYI Hugger, bolt on and tuned SS/TCs are trapping 106-108 here in Phoenix. They are very impressive, as I almost bought one before I stumbled on to the GTO. They just don't run the same here as they do elsewhere, much like a lot of other cars.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea, definitely not enough, which is why I wasn't too thrilled. I've seen similiarly modded SS/SC Cobalts running at my local track and I've seen 105-106 traps. Just wanted to see what others were seeing? Even 105-106 traps wouldn't be enough...

I was trapping low because of the clutch was junk people with the same exact mods that where there the nights i ran the car before it blew up were trapping 106...
Old 07-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

blah blah blah my stage 3 blah blah 115 mph trap blah blah"
Old 07-03-2009, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

****, my car is nothing impressive, so if you got that vibe, you might as well correct it now.

Just so I'm not mincing words. My car is a slow piece of ****, and so is any 3000 lb 300 hp FWD car.

Also, I'm not sure where you pulled the 300+ HP out of, but I was mainly waiting for the random people to come in the thread going "MY CAR RUNS 9s IT HAS UPGRADED EVERYTHING I COULD RAPE ALL YOU" etc.

Also, for what it's worth, those dyno numbers are through a 3600 stall and 95 degree heat in the arizona mountains. More fool to you if you race with dyno numbers.
Very good points.
My only comeback is yes, 300hp is not a lot for a track car or for really running some numbers. But surprising the heck of out a stock mustang, 300z, etc is pretty damn enjoyable.......even more so when I am driving between my stores dressed in my suit.

Since I have both, I figured I would throw my $.02. Right or wrong, just my thought.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gaunt
have you ever driving a 300 hp car that weighed 2900 lbs?

that is plenty enough power to put a big old smile on your face!

Last edited by tityrous; 07-03-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Gaunt
that is plenty enough power to but a big old smile on your face!
it feels fast for a couple of weeks then feels slow again. then the craving for more power comes back again.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, well said Gaunt. I agree, people who see our numbers here in AZ aren't too impressed but to us, we know how shitty our air/gas and HEAT is. All kill power, big time. Hell, my junk is slow to me as well... But it sure is fun to cruise around in

I was trapping low because of the clutch was junk people with the same exact mods that where there the nights i ran the car before it blew up were trapping 106...
Understandable, PD blowers like to eat clutches. Just ask the 03/04 Cobra owners Thanks for your input though man, appreciate it.

Originally Posted by 06cobaltSS
blah blah blah my stage 3 blah blah 115 mph trap blah blah"
Haha, that's funny ****. So you've got a SS/TC with a turbo swap in the making? How will the power band be affected by the swap? Curious to know as these goddamn SS/TCs are pretty intriguing to me.

Very good points.
My only comeback is yes, 300hp is not a lot for a track car or for really running some numbers. But surprising the heck of out a stock mustang, 300z, etc is pretty damn enjoyable.......even more so when I am driving between my stores dressed in my suit.

Since I have both, I figured I would throw my $.02. Right or wrong, just my thought.
And I appreciate you throwing in your two cents man, that's what makes this place fun. And I agree, a little 300hp DI 4 banger makes for a fun DD to kick the **** out of the retards and their slow "performance" vehicles.

Gaunt

that is plenty enough power to put a big old smile on your face!
I have. I've driven my cousins old nitrous/bolt on SRT4 and it was pretty quick. Wasn't fast enough to beat my cam/bolt on SS though...

You want to talk about "put a smile on your face", try driving a 900whp turbo 408 WS6. Now THAT will put a smile on your face

Originally Posted by ozzy1
it feels fast for a couple of weeks then feels slow again. then the craving for more power comes back again.
Much like anything else