Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Grocery getter Altima beat bolt ons camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raysadude
i thought spinning was actually makes you trap higher no?
I didn't go WOT til almost half track..
Old 09-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you guys insist spinning gives you a higher trap speed? Keep hearing it mentioned here and am still waiting for the punch line. :scratchhead:

Please tell me you guys dont believe that time spent spinning which is time spent not accellerating but instead using up precious useable track is somehow going to give you extra power to make up for the lack of accelleration?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL

Spinning does not give you a higher trap speed...it gives the illusion of a higher trap speed since you will have a slower ET then what the trap speed indicates...
Old 09-16-2009, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
LOL

Spinning does not give you a higher trap speed...it gives the illusion of a higher trap speed since you will have a slower ET then what the trap speed indicates...
correct me if I'm wrong but spinning gets you in the next gear earliler....so you will trap higher but it will take you longer to get there.

Oh, and you can't have an illusion of a higher trap speed. It is measured from 1 block to the next....its black and white

Last edited by bracketracerZ28; 09-16-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: didn't want to create new post
Old 09-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
LOL

Yea you're totally right because when I spun I trapped 86.5 and when I didn't spin as bad I trapped 84.5. Must have been some sort of illusion in the time slip.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Spinning CAN give you a higher trap, Not DOES. if your white smokin em then no it wont. It has to be the right kind of spinning, ie tires turning between 5% and 25% faster than the car is actually traveling. in other words it should more of a screech than a all out spin. To get the higher trap you must also continue that gentle spin for a decent distance, at least 300 ft out. This perfect spin is extremely difficult to achieve but its where the fact came from.

All that being said, with the right spin your ET would be the same but with a higher trap speed.

if you blaze em then ET and trap both get worse. dead hook with a stall 60' drops. perfect spin with stall 60' should get slightly worse, with ET staying the same and Trap goin up

Guys, with all the different tracks, car setups, different cars, tires, all the variables we all know are out there- there will always be exceptions to the rule. this fact came from regulated race cars that were damn near identicle so try not to argue it too much LOL
Old 09-17-2009, 05:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

PS, specific numbers in my previous post are MY ESTIMATIONS. but i will say that the spin i speak of is also why dragsters have a huge white shoe polish stripe on a back tire's sidewall. that way they can measure that spin afterwards using the high speed cam footage of the car on its launch and subsequent 1/4 mile.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
Spinning CAN give you a higher trap, Not DOES. if your white smokin em then no it wont. It has to be the right kind of spinning, ie tires turning between 5% and 25% faster than the car is actually traveling. in other words it should more of a screech than a all out spin. To get the higher trap you must also continue that gentle spin for a decent distance, at least 300 ft out. This perfect spin is extremely difficult to achieve but its where the fact came from.

All that being said, with the right spin your ET would be the same but with a higher trap speed.

if you blaze em then ET and trap both get worse. dead hook with a stall 60' drops. perfect spin with stall 60' should get slightly worse, with ET staying the same and Trap goin up

Guys, with all the different tracks, car setups, different cars, tires, all the variables we all know are out there- there will always be exceptions to the rule. this fact came from regulated race cars that were damn near identicle so try not to argue it too much LOL

agreed. most racers are not going to stay in it anyway when the tires start blazing, total waste. A little spin will get you a higher mph but will slow down your et.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you spin even a little bit it is impossible to get the same ET..
Old 09-17-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

The 60' mark is the most important number on the timeslip, imo. There's other factors, but that's the first one I look at, I can tell right away if I can improve my 1/8 and 1/4 times.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
No... Roll racing tells who makes more power *usually*, that is all..

To see who has the fastest car you MUST go from a dig.. Building a fast car isn't just about making power.. YOU HAVE TO PUT IT TO THE GROUND.. From a 60mph roll most people don't have traction issues.. Hell some people don't even have traction issues at 40mph..
To build a fast car you have to look at suspension/weight transfer/power/torque/etc etc etc... That is to see who has the fastest car.

I'll go ahead and say it.. Anybody who think roll racing is "better"/tell who has the fastest car/more fun/easier/etc etc ect/anything you can think of... YOU ARE A RICER!

Real racing is done from a dig, everything else is for the birds.
Dude just chill out! Please. You love to come into threads about an entirely different topic and get the civil war thing going. Going by all the sh*t you talk i'd swear you had a fast car or something.

I'll take my M6, leave in 3rd gear, and still finish the quarter quicker than your beloved auto.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

M6 for roll racing, A4 for real racing.
Just to play devil's advocate, why do Pro Stock guys run Liberty's (manual trans) then?
Old 09-17-2009, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
Just to play devil's advocate, why do Pro Stock guys run Liberty's (manual trans) then?
that would be the **** to drive one of those. I'm assuming your just trying to chop up the waters cause all the other pro classes run a version of a glide. I would love to see a funny car driver shift a couple of times though!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bracketracerZ28
that would be the **** to drive one of those. I'm assuming your just trying to chop up the waters cause all the other pro classes run a version of a glide. I would love to see a funny car driver shift a couple of times though!
That's not true really either. The fastest single turbo Pro Outlaw car
in the world runs a Liberty...again, a manual trans.

...and yes, I'm just stirring the pot. An auto is the way to go at the track.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Demon 383
Dude just chill out! Please. You love to come into threads about an entirely different topic and get the civil war thing going. Going by all the sh*t you talk i'd swear you had a fast car or something.

I'll take my M6, leave in 3rd gear, and still finish the quarter quicker than your beloved auto.
And I give a **** about what you think why?

FWIW, I don't think I have a quick car at all.. Just for ***** and giggles, what dyou run? Not what you dyno, what you run at an 1/8 or 1/4 track.

Also, what I said was right on par with how the thread was going.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

I would say auto over H-pattern manual.
There are of course Lencos and the Liberty transmissions like Unit mentioned, but those aren't really anything like H-pattern manuals (they don't even have a clutch)...

On a side not, is Millen's transmission shifter pneumatic or manual?
I've gotta say, the liberty transmission looks sick; are they whiny as **** and lack a reverse gear like dog engagement sequentials?

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 09-17-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
That's not true really either. The fastest single turbo Pro Outlaw car
in the world runs a Liberty...again, a manual trans.

...and yes, I'm just stirring the pot. An auto is the way to go at the track.
allright, I will bite. They arent really manuals either. Yeah you are shifting, but using no clutch. And for awhile the pro stock cars were just pulling levers....not much diff than an auto in a comp eliminator car.....so which is better????
Old 09-18-2009, 06:28 AM
Administrator

allright, I will bite. They arent really manuals either. Yeah you are shifting, but using no clutch. And for awhile the pro stock cars were just pulling levers....not much diff than an auto in a comp eliminator car.....so which is better????

They absolutely are using a clutch. There's just no clutch pedal.
I barely use the clutch pedal in a T-56 at the track. It's depressed just
a enough to disengage/engage the clutch. It's still a clutch vs a converter.
It's irrelevant if there is a clutch pedal.

Which is better? The Liberty is vs a 'glide if you have the skills and
know how to get a car to hook.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

There have been many auto manufacturers that have made manual transmissions that don't have a clutch pedal.
VW had a manual trans. back in the late 60's-early 70's that had no clutch pedal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-au...c_transmission
http://askville.amazon.com/clutchles...onseId=8447041
Old 09-27-2009, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

I know, I can't wait to get my ls1 either........

WTF is that supposed to mean? You act like I'm a noob here and have never had an LS1 before.

P.S. I got my LS1.....care to partake in a contest of speed?