Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

couple races with an STI

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default couple races with an STI

i took my SS out to get gas and take a short ride. im almost home when an STI turns in front me cutting me off. i was a little upset and gave him my high beams. so instead of heading home i follow him to the next light. as im approaching the light i nail it to heat my nittos up a little. i know those things can launch like a ****. were lined up with a car between us. i have my car in low since i have a trans go. my car seems to run harder when i shift it rather than stalling it. as soon as the light turns green i went 3/4 throttle then nailing it with no spin. i looked in my sideview and that STI was way back when i let off at 70. he comes flying up next to me and and gets even around 50. i put my car in 2nd and let him go first. he nails then i do. we stay even for a little while then i shifted into drive and started to walk away. we lined up again around 50 with the same result. im guessing i let off around 100 due to traffic.

we got stopped at a light and he said he was surprised how fast my car got out from a light and i told him his car runs strong from a roll for an AWD car. cool guy.

so anyone who knows STIs what the best way to launch them? i didnt get a chance to ask him what was done. i know his exhaust was loud but i didnt hear a BOV or anything like it so im guessing he was on stock boost? regardless theyre strong running cars though i think theyre ugly LOL.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt he's too stock if he ran beside you with what you ran in your sig. I hear you have to ride the clutch a bit on the awd cars to get them out of the hole without breaking easy..good kill
Old 10-11-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just as the evo im sure some sort of launch control would be the best for the AWD turbo cars. good kill
Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Good kill bud, I am sure he was surprised as hell when you moved out on him.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

If he had half a brain he knows not the launch that STI hard from a dig. Those trans are weak as ****.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my buddy had one, he would rev it high, and drop the clutch..his clutch didnt last long but it would launch HARD. not very fast on the highway though.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

my buddy had one, he would rev it high, and drop the clutch..his clutch didnt last long but it would launch HARD. not very fast on the highway though.
ya...friend of mine did that back when the WRX first came out turbocharged in the states. It launched like a **** but I imagine he replaced the clutch among other things not too long after that
Old 10-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hellbentz
If he had half a brain he knows not the launch that STI hard from a dig. Those trans are weak as ****.
Coming from an 05 STi to my 04 Z06 I gotta tell you man, you are completely wrong on the tranny issue. The WRX has a weak tranny, the STi tranny is much more stout. How do I know this?

I had launch control on it and would regularly rev to 5500 dump the clutch and roast all 4 at auto-x events. The flag guys LOVED me!

If you had lined up with an STi that had launch control and a good river, you would have been destroyed out of the hole, though you would have reeled him in quickly and passed him by 70 or so..... Leaving him by bus lengths....

They are just shitty roll cars too, unless massively built.

Good job regardless, but find that kid, tell him to get a cobb accessport and install a LC tune on it.... Rev the **** out of it, keep foot buried while it builds boost then dump it when ready. Amazing neck snapping launches every time.

Sold the car because it was eating prodigious amounts of oil and Subaru would not do a ******* thing about it.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by --Z06--
Coming from an 05 STi to my 04 Z06 I gotta tell you man, you are completely wrong on the tranny issue. The WRX has a weak tranny, the STi tranny is much more stout. How do I know this?

I had launch control on it and would regularly rev to 5500 dump the clutch and roast all 4 at auto-x events. The flag guys LOVED me!

If you had lined up with an STi that had launch control and a good river, you would have been destroyed out of the hole, though you would have reeled him in quickly and passed him by 70 or so..... Leaving him by bus lengths....

Good job regardless, but find that kid, tell him to get a cobb accessport and install a LC tune on it.... Rev the **** out of it, keep foot buried while it builds boost then dump it when ready. Amazing neck snapping launches every time.

Sold the car because it was eating prodigious amounts of oil and Subaru would not do a ******* thing about it.
yea. he never had a tranny issue with it at all. so i think your right on that one. he had up/down pipe, boost controller, intake and exhaust. think i could smoke him if i could manage a mid 12?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

GOOD INFO, THANKS.

it seems most AWD cars i come across want to go from a roll though i know someone with an EVO 8 that has a built motor thats making over 500awhp. he says that it runs hard from any RPM.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Teching In

I was never the drag race type, always went for cones or trails in the STi.

I had the Accessport tuner, cold air, down pipe, full exhaust and it was a ******* monster out of the hole. I am not sure how your 12 second car will do against one.

Race, find out!

But be sure to make VIDEO!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
I doubt he's too stock if he ran beside you with what you ran in your sig. I hear you have to ride the clutch a bit on the awd cars to get them out of the hole without breaking easy..good kill

You'd be surprised. With just a good controller a person can brake boost even a stock STI to launch pretty hard...awd makes a difference. They tend to peter out around 90-100 unless they have significant modifications. I have had several of these types of cars.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was never the drag race type, always went for cones or trails in the STi.

I had the Accessport tuner, cold air, down pipe, full exhaust and it was a ******* monster out of the hole. I am not sure how your 12 second car will do against one.

Race, find out!

But be sure to make VIDEO!!!
guess it depends if i have my DR on.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJij4sHNj_Q
me vs STI (Forget if he was stock or had a few things) from 10mph roll, me on street tires.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Launching!

what color is it i know most of the fast nj cars
Old 10-13-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

black. driver had a female with him.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Launching!

did it have the wing
Old 10-13-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes it had a wing
Old 10-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 79TAKid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJij4sHNj_Q
me vs STI (Forget if he was stock or had a few things) from 10mph roll, me on street tires.
Honestly, that thing sounded stock.

You DESTROYED HIM!

Poor kid.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

that car is quiet. the one i raced sounded similar to this STI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8n3FQAW194&feature=fvw