Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Why i dont like ricers, and love Cubic Inches

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
If you don't like this site, you are more than welcome to leave

As far as imports with performance, duh it doesn't take too much to make a GTR or Evo to perform well. I would hope my ~$80,000 car (GTR) performs as well as it is supposed to, I paid $80k for it. As far as GTRs, I've driven one... In a straight line, its fun, but at ~4000lbs (like the new Camaro), I don't think it handles well at all. I would much rather take a z06 then a solely computer controlled overweight car that involves little actual driver involvement.
You dont think it handles well? It took down the GT3. It was on every magazine cover from road and track to motortrend. Now im gonna hear a rant about how the GT3 sucks and all porsche owners need to bow down to the 98-02 f-body. I can feel it coming. Anyway, for what its worth, i'd take a New Zo6 too. Its easier to work on, cheaper to mod and looks better. Plus I think a true sports car should have 3 pedals and a 6speed. Not a $20K electronic dual clutch trans that only Nissan can work on.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Finkle06
You dont think it handles well? It took down the GT3. It was on every magazine cover from road and track to motortrend. Now im gonna hear a rant about how the GT3 sucks and all porsche owners need to bow down to the 98-02 f-body. I can feel it coming. Anyway, for what its worth, i'd take a New Zo6 too. Its easier to work on, cheaper to mod and looks better. Plus I think a true sports car should have 3 pedals and a 6speed. Not a $20K electronic dual clutch trans that only Nissan can work on.
Did you really just compare a Nissan to a Porsche? Really? They aren't even in the same league. Regardless of the performance.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

To clarify what other people just asked... No, I don't think the GT-R handled as well as I expected. When you have been in/driven a z06 and then step up to its counterpart that magazines claim kill the z06, you start to have a lot of expectations for it.

I don't down automatics at all, but just everything on the GTR is electronically controlled. I love the new GTR as far as performance goes, but if it came down to a car that I'd want to live with every day, mod, and plan on it being reliable with minimal repair, I'd go with the z06

When it comes to Honda's, you don't know my background. I used to roll with a group of friends who were on Hondas nuts. I remember a kid telling me his fully built "10 second D16 w/ a turbo on 14psi" making "400rwhp" as he claimed would kill any car I ever got. I got my Trans Am, had just gears, stall, exhaust, and shitty sumitomo tires none the less, and beat him in a street race. You have no clue how much **** he talked to me before then. Call it a bias I have now, I'm willing to accept it. If you went to downtown Des Moines and talked to the Honda guys (or have had **** talked to you like they always do, but then refuse to back it up), you would develop the same bias
Old 01-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
The cost of your car is a fortune compare to the cost of my car, but thats a fact and I'm not better because my car cost less. Maybe I dont have the dough for a modded Supra. Anyway I dont wanna turn this into a car+$+mod equation because its worthless plus I think Supra/Skyline/GTR are nice car, just that the average ricer think it has 1000hp from factory.

The car I currently have I bought from a friend. Had 26k miles on it. I didnt pay what you think for it at all. Plus its an auto so they sell for less than the manuals. I've owned both.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

To clarify what other people just asked... No, I don't think the GT-R handled as well as I expected.
Considering what this car is capable of, I find this statement highly suspect.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Finkle06
Lemons12: I'll be down there. How bout you grow a pair, grab your VHT and we race on the street? And yes, my 1/8th times match yours... with a 1.8 60". Never sprayed it at the track. I'm not sure if i'll win, but i'll spend $50-$100 to find out. Then I'd like to bet on the fact that you straight up BITCH OUT to the rice burners i'm with. I want to get that on video so I can post it on LS1nutswingers.com.
I'm not racing on the street. I will explain why if you decide to come down, I have a very good reason.

If your 1/8 times match what is in my sig, they don't match my times. I know you won't win, no question about that. I will jump you 4 lengths out of the hole and continue pulling the entire time, promise you that.
Bring your import bitches as well. Last time I checked they weren't too fond of cars that cut 1.4X on motor and ran mid 6s in the 1/8. Kind of hard for them to catch back up, no?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FEARSM
The car I currently have I bought from a friend. Had 26k miles on it. I didnt pay what you think for it at all. Plus its an auto so they sell for less than the manuals. I've owned both.
I'm sure you got a good price, but did you pay 11.5K$ for it? I guess not..
Old 01-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Teching In

I'm sure you got a good price, but did you pay 11.5K$ for it? I guess not..
Nope..but you didnt say I PAID more than you. You said I paid a fortune to go fast. Just trying to find out what a fortune is cause I definitely dont remember paying that much. Yeah, heres your quote.

The LS1 arent all hype lol. Skyline/GTR/Supra are all hype. You must put a fortune into it so its fast. You should sell your LSx, you dont deserve to own it.

Not sure why are you are factoring in the price of the car when you clearly said I have to pay a fortune to make it "fast". So whats your definition of a fortune and also of fast?
Old 01-29-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I personally got mine at a steal. 97 WS6 for only $3500 with 98k on it. (Guy wanted to sell a lot of his toys to buy an acreage)
Old 01-29-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Here a clean Supra with 'mods' getting 345rwhp on a very conservative mustang dyno(me pushing 387 at that time) is going out for 45K$ which is fortune to me. I based my statement on fact I knew. Now stop analysing my post word by word until find something that sounds fishy to you.

Supra cost a lot(lot for some are not that much for other) compare to fbody, thats it thats all. IMO, none are better, just a question of taste. I prefer raw N/A power, so I'll always go LSx.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

KBB for 98 Supra auto w/ ~90k is ~$27,000 PP value.....

Damn... lol good cars but still..
Old 01-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Here a clean Supra with 'mods' getting 345rwhp on a very conservative mustang dyno(me pushing 387 at that time) is going out for 45K$ which is fortune to me. I based my statement on fact I knew. Now stop analysing my post word by word until find something that sounds fishy to you.

Supra cost a lot(lot for some are not that much for other) compare to fbody, thats it thats all. IMO, none are better, just a question of taste. I prefer raw N/A power, so I'll always go LSx.
You talking about the price of ONE entire car, not for the price of an entire line of cars to "go fast". Doesnt cost 45K for a Supra or GTR to go fast. I'm not analyzing anything, just trying to clarify your quote and the reasoning behind it. You didnt say anything about the price of the car added in to making it go fast.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Teching In

KBB for 98 Supra auto w/ ~90k is ~$27,000 PP value.....

Damn... lol good cars but still..
Yeah, its seems to be the only Japanese "Supercar" ( Im not saying its a Supercar but all the car mags put the RX-7, 3000GT, 300ZX and NSX in this category) to hold its value this long. All of those cars costs the same when they came out basically except the NSX.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, its seems to be the only Japanese "Supercar" ( Im not saying its a Supercar but all the car mags put the RX-7, 3000GT, 300ZX and NSX in this category) to hold its value this long. All of those cars costs the same when they came out basically except the NSX.
I've had a cousin go through the 3000GT VR-4 route.. lets just say he either needed about 45 minutes a day of "check-over maintenance" or a second VR-4 as a donor car. Love them, sound amazing, but his was so unreliable.

I wouldn't mind me a 300zx though
Old 01-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Teching In

I've had a cousin go through the 3000GT VR-4 route.. lets just say he either needed about 45 minutes a day of "check-over maintenance" or a second VR-4 as a donor car. Love them, sound amazing, but his was so unreliable.

I wouldn't mind me a 300zx though
LOL..there is a good friend of mine here that used to have a stealth. When he finally got it working right at the track (11's at 127 or so) he mis shifted and broke it. He drives a Viper now thats in the process of being twin turboed. He was a diehard stealth/3000 guy and even HE gave up on em! I would love to find a clean 300zx. Always liked those cars.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

haha this thread is hilarious.

it doesnt matter how fast you are, there will always be someone faster then you.

but stock for stock, mod for mod, a LSx car will beat 99% of cars out there.

LSX FTW
Old 01-29-2010, 05:50 PM
***Repost Police***

I wanted a black '91 300ZX N/A 2-seater 5spd for my first car when I was 15. Wish it could have happened
Old 01-29-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Best ET 10.75@124 mph Best trap 134 mph (older 67mm setup 590 rwhp 500tq)

Curiosity, how much did you have invested at this time?
Old 01-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lemons12
Best ET 10.75@124 mph Best trap 134 mph (older 67mm setup 590 rwhp 500tq)

Curiosity, how much did you have invested at this time?
Kind of a trick question. I had a previous engine from my 6 spd car that I dropped into this car. I paid 1800 for a built transmission, 700 for a tq converter and 1600 for the 16 inch drag radials and skinnies I was running. The turbo kit on the engine cost me 1800 several years ago and I just switched to larger turbos and sold the old ones through the yrs. The fuel system cost me 800. Cams cost me 750. I was running a VPC (changed from MAF to Speed Density) at the time which costs 500. All this was previously done on the engine and I just swapped everything over. All the work was done by me at the time. This car was and still is daily driven. I bought the car with 26k miles and it currently has 115K.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kind of a trick question. I had a previous engine from my 6 spd car that I dropped into this car. I paid 1800 for a built transmission, 700 for a tq converter and 1600 for the 16 inch drag radials and skinnies I was running. The turbo kit on the engine cost me 1800 several years ago and I just switched to larger turbos and sold the old ones through the yrs. The fuel system cost me 800. Cams cost me 750. I was running a VPC (changed from MAF to Speed Density) at the time which costs 500. All this was previously done on the engine and I just swapped everything over. All the work was done by me at the time. This car was and still is daily driven. I bought the car with 26k miles and it currently has 115K.
So $8k?