Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

06 GTO vs. R/T Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 06 GTO vs. R/T Challenger

Well me and the old lady was pulling out of the house when we see a Black R/T Challenger cruise by. Well this is my girls car and it's rare that I see a potential race while i'm in the driver seat it usally when i'm in the passenger seat. Well I follow this car all the way to the highway and I pull up to it and it's a older man and his son. So I give him a lil rev and he just looks over and acts like he didn't see me so in my head he didn't wanna race so I just go on and all the sudden RICER FLYBY !!!!! So i'm like it's on I catch up to him and nope he don't wanna run so I mess with him enough so i'm doing about 60 shift into third and shoot off on him. But he started to take off then he just quit so to **** him off I hit the hazards and then out of nowhere another RICER FLYBY !!!!! And then the goofy ****** pulls off into the shoulder and cruises there for a bit I pass him and he is on the phone. I try to get him to run again a no luck so I just exit off laughing at the whole experience. That's a first for me to have a guy in a American Muscle car pull anything like that I think he just was mad because my girl's plates read GRL GTO so he must have thought he got owned by her !

Sway

She has a stock Goat besides choke masters.....
Old 02-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man, that isht pisses me off when people do that, it has happened to me a few times and it drives me mad, its good you can just laugh it off.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Would have been too easy of a Kill even if he had raced you
trust me
Old 02-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Launching!

yeah, i have run RT's in my tbss and taken them , i know a GTO that weighs a grand less will eat one up bad
Old 02-07-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those things are slow. I know I'll take one with my GTA
Old 02-07-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yea I know that it wold be a easy race just haven't ran anyone in a while since my TA has been down for a engine build. And it's not that often that the old lady lets me race her car.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

just pull so far ahead of him that he cant do any sort of fly by.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Those RTs are tuuurrddd slow. I smashed one in my truck on the freeway with my programmer on a nearly stock setting. And my truck doesn't yank anybody on the freeway
Old 02-07-2010, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

edit: I was thinking the RT was the v-6 version, but that's the SE. My bad.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

makes me laugh as well. I had a guy in a red Ls1 Camaro do this to me about a month ago on a 3 lane hwy with no one around. Had 4 people in my truck he had 1 passenger. tried to get him to go and it wasn't happening. Then he pulls a WOT from about 40mph (6 speed) from 2 or 3 cars back. By the time I saw his front end lifting up I was like "you M'fer!" I put the hammer down, but he got s a hell of a jump. he pulled even with me to about 90 and we had to slow up for a light. THEN..... light goes green and he doesn't go? I laugh it, off take a u turn at the next intersection and this dick gives me the finger.. Just goes to show you it's not the type of car that's a douche.. It's the driver 99x out of 100. I really wanted to lay the smack down on that car after that fly by attempt.. Wonder if he panicked when he couldn't blow by me? Would of killed him from a dig if he couldn't put anything on me on the big end.. this thing dies above 90-100.. Douche bag.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mannyman84
Those things are slow. I know I'll take one with my GTA
Friend's stock purple RT auto runs 13.3's and he's an average driver (about 225) full weight, tire pressure etc. haven't seen any others at the track just his.. Same guy also has a new CTS-V and a transformers Camaro SS. nice to be loaded.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

shoot off on him
how did you guys miss this??!!..I would have left that out of the story..eh because it wouldn't have happened
Old 02-07-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
Friend's stock purple RT auto runs 13.3's and he's an average driver (about 225) full weight, tire pressure etc. haven't seen any others at the track just his.. Same guy also has a new CTS-V and a transformers Camaro SS. nice to be loaded.
He must be a damn good driver. I've never seen an RT pull those numbers
Old 02-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

It would not have been much of a race for you. I beat one pretty good the other day coming home from work. His was all stock I'm sure...still had the paper plates....all I have in the GXP is an intake and exhaust. He didn't have it from a dig or a roll...GTO would have destroyed it. Insideline was only able to muster up a 14.1
Old 02-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mannyman84
He must be a damn good driver. I've never seen an RT pull those numbers
No kidding, SRT8's don't really run much quicker than a 13.0
Old 02-08-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Friend's stock purple RT auto runs 13.3's and he's an average driver (about 225) full weight, tire pressure etc. haven't seen any others at the track just his..
That is about a full second quicker then they run on average, maybe its the SRT version?

Idk seems a lil fishy to me.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
That is about a full second quicker then they run on average, maybe its the SRT version?

True. I doubt an RT would even hit the 13.7 stock
Old 02-08-2010, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO

At E-Town for a Super Chevy article (My friend Matt, who owns Tune Time performance was running his Camaro SS for the article). Wasn't nothing fishy about it. The SRT version was running 12.7's @109-110 with both a mag writer and I at the wheel. The guy with the RT also brought his CTS-V. that ran 11.5 @124 on the stock tires and stock air pressure.. The CTS-V has a pulley swap & LT's, that's it. Cut a 1.7x 60' on those shitty tires. that car's an animal, ive taken it up to 140 and it gets there quickly. hitting that car at 75 broke the rear tires loose on the GSP. very impressive. DA was near ~0 all day..
I have found that in those controlled events, like only 7-10 cars to run on a private track you get the most out of the cars given the different people at the wheel (along with editors, techs, & other pro's) and anything one driver misses (lining up out of the groove, rolling, traction issues, leaving too soft, etc.) gets corrected on the next pass because EVERYONE is watching every run.

**edit**
Just made a quick call to clarify. I apologize the RT has a CAI Tune & Cat back & actually ran 13.28 @106.. sorry

Little trolling through google.. here's a post from the challenger forum "challenger talk" but it seems to be the theme for the RT's

i just made a new post "went the the track last night" i have an r/t auto all its got done to it is i cut the muffler out and stright piped it when i got to the track i pulled the filter just to let yous know i have never been to a track before so my first run was a 13.92 just pulled in ran it no cool down (tracks about 45min from me) second run was a 13.40 at 105.5 cooled down and i dropped the tire pressure to 24 pounds still no filter i think it still has a little more in it to hopping next time i go for a 13.3 or 13.2 with nothing else done to it

Last edited by TonyGXP; 02-08-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the jester 812
yeah, i have run RT's in my tbss and taken them , i know a GTO that weighs a grand less will eat one up bad
Your GTO weighs 3100lbs?!?

Originally Posted by gixper
Insideline was only able to muster up a 14.1
Ooh! Only use Edmunds when they run decent times. They have made some serious errors in the past.

At E-Town for a Super Chevy article (My friend Matt, who owns Tune Time performance was running his Camaro SS for the article). Wasn't nothing fishy about it. The SRT version was running 12.7's @109-110 with both a mag writer and I at the wheel. The guy with the RT also brought his CTS-V. that ran 11.5 @124 on the stock tires and stock air pressure.. The CTS-V has a pulley swap & LT's, that's it. Cut a 1.7x 60' on those shitty tires. that car's an animal, ive taken it up to 140 and it gets there quickly. hitting that car at 75 broke the rear tires loose on the GSP. very impressive. DA was near ~0 all day..
I have found that in those controlled events, like only 7-10 cars to run on a private track you get the most out of the cars given the different people at the wheel (along with editors, techs, & other pro's) and anything one driver misses (lining up out of the groove, rolling, traction issues, leaving too soft, etc.) gets corrected on the next pass because EVERYONE is watching every run.

**edit**
Just made a quick call to clarify. I apologize the RT has a CAI Tune & Cat back & actually ran 13.28 @106.. sorry
Good points. A few may have hit low 13s with excellent 1.9x 60fts but the mph isn't higher than 104 or so, if that. I'm a little dubious myself. Properly tuned and launched, they are much better.

There is one claim to 108mph which had data errors on the timeslip and has never been repeated, so that's out.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gixper
It would not have been much of a race for you. I beat one pretty good the other day coming home from work. His was all stock I'm sure...still had the paper plates....all I have in the GXP is an intake and exhaust. He didn't have it from a dig or a roll...GTO would have destroyed it. Insideline was only able to muster up a 14.1
I ran a G8 GXP when I was CAI/SLP 421 Predator tune/catback: pretty much dead even from a freeway roll. If someone told you GTO's were faster than your GXP they're full of it. Hell, I've heard that GXP's are actually faster than LS3 SS Camaro's by a tenth for that matter. Wish I had a GXP! Love them looks.
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Your GTO weighs 3100lbs?!?
Looking for the curb weight of a TBSS I ran into lots of conflicting info:
Curb Weight - Front (lbs)2307
Curb Weight - Rear (lbs)2024
http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrole...specifications

Curb weight: 4600-4700 lb (test car was RWD- 4600 for 2wd and 4700 for 4wd?)
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t/specs_page_2

Weights: curb weight (lbs) 4,663
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/...ons/index.html

Quick Reply: 06 GTO vs. R/T Challenger