Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Pullied cobra vs cam only t/a

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Yeah, that's my boys Cobra. The highest I've seen him trap was 122mph. He's bolt ons, pulley, and has long tube headers.
Fom the vids I have seen his car is strong and he can drive?
Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
I guess no one can debate what you've seen personally. I'm sure you're
aware how stout a cam only fbody can be in the right hands with the
right setup. We have cam only guys here in the 9's. There is no pulley'd
Cobra that can run that. It's flat out impossible. Pulley'd Cobras are
good for anywhere from 10.70's to 12.20's with the 10.70 end being
race car setups damn near and the 12.20 end being morons. It's far
more common to have 10 second cam only LS1. I'd say it's almost common.

well said, from someone who def know their ****.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

You guys are all still failing to recognize the fact that both pullied Cobras and cammed LS1 Fbodies can be setup completely differently one to the next and have drivers at completely different skill levels.

You are also throwing all of these trap numbers around like once you run a certain trap on a specific day at a specific track, that's the number you can use to compare to anyone else's car with a certain trap at a different track on a different day. Or you throw around the BEST trap a certain car/driver combo has ever hit and use that as the factor, ignoring the fact that they might have trapped one or two or more mph (or more) slower than that previously that day, that season, and on the setup.

EXAMPLE: I'm an extremely consistent driver, especially when I had the Camaro. I went to LVD on an 85 degree day and trapped 116-117 all day. Then I went to Atco with the same exact setup on a 45 degree day and trapped 121 all day.

With this argument you guys have going, there are different pulley sizes, different brands for exhaust parts, different cam sizes, different weight reduction (or lack thereof), different drivers, different drivetrain setups, different gearing, different weather conditions, different tracks and prep at different elevations, cars and blowers at different temperatures from previous runs, different tire sizes to affect gearing, different transmissions, etc, etc, etc.

THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY VARIABLES TO EVEN SAY THERE IS SUCH A THING AS "AN AVERAGE CAMMED LS1" OR "AN AVERAGE PULLIED COBRA", regardless of any person's "previous experience". BOTTOM LINE.

How do you guys not get this? You're proving yourselves all wrong in this argument by stating anything else and posting up all of these conflicting examples of how these Cobras beat these LS1s, and then the next person posts up proof or personal experiences showing just the opposite.

There is no "typically this happens in the entire world" when it comes to two cars that can vary this much from one to the next and have this many variables from one run to the next.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 04-26-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
You guys are all still failing to recognize the fact that both pullied Cobras and cammed LS1 Fbodies can be setup completely differently one to the next and have drivers at completely different skill levels.

You are also throwing all of these trap numbers around like once you run a certain trap on a specific day at a specific track, that's the number you can use to compare to anyone else's car with a certain trap at a different track on a different day. Or you throw around the BEST trap a certain car/driver combo has ever hit and use that as the factor, ignoring the fact that they might have trapped one or two or more mph (or more) slower than that previously that day, that season, and on the setup.

EXAMPLE: I'm an extremely consistent driver, especially when I had the Camaro. I went to LVD on an 85 degree day and trapped 116-117 all day. Then I went to Atco with the same exact setup on a 45 degree day and trapped 121 all day.

With this argument you guys have going, there are different pulley sizes, different brands for exhaust parts, different cam sizes, different weight reduction (or lack thereof), different drivers, different drivetrain setups, different gearing, different weather conditions, different tracks and prep at different elevations, cars and blowers at different temperatures from previous runs, different tire sizes to affect gearing, different transmissions, etc, etc, etc.

THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY VARIABLES TO EVEN SAY THERE IS SUCH A THING AS "AN AVERAGE CAMMED LS1" OR "AN AVERAGE PULLIED COBRA", regardless of any person's "previous experience". BOTTOM LINE.

How do you guys not get this? You're proving yourselves all wrong in this argument by stating anything else and posting up all of these conflicting examples of how these Cobras beat these LS1s, and then the next person posts up proof or personal experiences showing just the opposite.

There is no "typically this happens in the entire world" when it comes to two cars that can vary this much from one to the next and have this many variables from one run to the next.
I agree with you completely....way to many different setups out there and variables and drivers to compare....air has a **** ton to do with these HEATONS. Yes Tracks play a big roll for instance my buddy trapped 119 here consistantly in his C6 but at ATCO trapped 123....I have heard thats one of the fastest tracks around? My point is people keep saying I havent ran into one set up right.....The ones I have raced had all the bolt ons MS3 or MS4 with a good tune, gears and drag radials.....sure they werent A4's with slicks and skinnies 4500 stalls gears and a **** ton of weight reduction.....and I know thee is some fast *** cam only cars out there I am just saying I have ran a lot of different setups with good drivers.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am done here. this is a typical tech thread.... great race OP!
Old 04-26-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by navyblueSS
I didn't say they were bolt-ons. The 3.23 gears came stock in A4 SS cars.
Ok...I'm a tad confused. Not trying to be an ***, just tryin' to understand what you meant.
You must have a weak running LS1 if you would be happy running low 12's with a MS3 cam. Low 12's is bolt-ons only territory.
I ran 12.20s with bolt-ons, Yank 3600, and 3.23 gears on 17s. Most of the bolt on only cars in my area are in that et range. Most of the cam-only cars are in the 11.40-11.90 range depending on cam size and weight. I ran a best of 11.64 cam only at 3600lbs with a 228R cam. Not saying your car is slow just stating the times that I regulary see out of these cars.
Originally Posted by ponygt65
maybe it's just me, but gears and stall are not bolt ons. So to say bolt on only for low 12s is a tad mis-leading. bolt on gears and stall with DRs sure.

Like I said though, maybe that's just me.

I only stated gears because generally that (and or a stall) is needed.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:49 PM

Good race OP!

As far as the rest of this mess, I think that a properly modded "pullied" Cobra (meaning that it has the supporting mods, not just a pulley and cold air, or something) will beat a "cam only" LS1 fbody more often than not. It can go either way depending on the specific setup, driving, etc. (as it has been stated numerous times), but the power difference between the two cars will more than make up for the weight difference (not to mention the torque difference) in most scenerios.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

im sure ill run into him again this time ill have the camera ready
Old 04-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00silverGTP
I am done here. this is a typical tech thread.... great race OP!
idk why your car has an MS3 and you say your happy with low 12's you need to stay and read up... lol kidding bro I know all cars run different but with an MS3/ bolt ons / proper dyno tune you should be well into the 11's if you can drive
Old 04-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Teching In

This run was with 2.80 pully, k&N filter.....not the whole tube, o/r x, flowmaster/Borla hybrid catback, spec stage 2 clutch and nitto dr's. It was tuned by Stang Hi in Baton Rouge. It should have gone 11.50-11.60 but was only cutting 1.7x 60' due to very used tires. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAOtldqCvPE

This one is a stock tire catback only car. Pretty much stock with a amature driver. He also cut a very shitty 2.126 60'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPwwdGLqlrk

Like someone said....too many differentials.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
idk why your car has an MS3 and you say your happy with low 12's you need to stay and read up... lol kidding bro I know all cars run different but with an MS3/ bolt ons / proper dyno tune you should be well into the 11's if you can drive

like I have said many times. cam only ls1 dont get close to the 11s here. and my car wont see a track so I am not worried about. it does VERY well on the street. thats what I built it for......
Old 04-26-2010, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

thats what you built it for? so cam and n20 is what makes it built for the street? ok...guess u need to get rid of the DRAG radials and just use STREET radials
Old 04-26-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 95Prplppletrz28
thats what you built it for? so cam and n20 is what makes it built for the street? ok...guess u need to get rid of the DRAG radials and just use STREET radials
I don't go to the track. been there one time. its not fun for me. I have a stock 10 bolt with 342s. if I built it for the track gears and rear end would have been my first mod..... drag radials are street legal. track would be slicks. I can drive my car anywhere I want with the a/c on. I don't want a race car.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

haha im just messing with ya...but u ccan still run some good times with the 10 bolt and 3.42s on radials i cut high 1.7s
Old 04-26-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 95Prplppletrz28
haha im just messing with ya...but u ccan still run some good times with the 10 bolt and 3.42s on radials i cut high 1.7s
oh I know I can. and I am sure with some practice I could go low 12's. prolly hit 11's with some gears. just not what I do with the car...
Old 04-27-2010, 06:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

really? He has raced 4, I was the closest at about 4-5 cars.....
Well I'm not cam only but I have a small 226 cam and hand ported heads.. Stock intake... He could come run me.
I have raced 3 other Ms4 cars and beat them all... Pretty good I might add. Should I have? No, they were all setup poorly and I know that. So yes, all 4 of his very well could have been. He definitely has a strong running car for a stock Eaton but a good running Ls1 will be right there with him.
Originally Posted by Dynotune04
i have never seen a 120+ cam only car and my pullied set up went 123-124 consistantly without icing down anything. my car actually never failed to trap lower than 121 on a clean hit when it was pulley only. i will say that i have only seen 1 or 2 other pulley only cobras go in the low 120's.
I know how your car runs!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

ready for a road trip? I bet he would beat you too from a roll.....
Old 04-27-2010, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

I would run him, to bad I live so far away.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hope you are asking him if he is ready for a road trip. I have no point to make here and even if I did I'm not traveling any distance to race a pullied Cobra unless it is my buddies right down the road. I know how my car fairs against pullied Cobras as well as ported Cobras.
He comes here he better have some stickies with him.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MMMmmAAaaaRRRrrr!

Quick Reply: Pullied cobra vs cam only t/a