Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

BS thread - 2011 GT 11.80's @ 118 with bolt ons

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Until I see individuals gaining said hp I will never belive what a company says. I mean Vararam claims 35hp and up to .5 tenths in the 1/4 with their intake on a 2010 Camaro.

Dont forget a joeblow went 11.7@114 with similar mods in a 2010 SS.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013
Old 05-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
The post counter works perfect on this site.

You actually think it is "broke"?
That is funny.
Yea, its "broke." I have FS threads with over 8 posts.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

The post counter only counts posts you make in certain sections. i.e. technical sections.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Teching In

THAT would explain a lot.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Finkle06
So you have more posts than me on a website for a car you don't own. Whats your point? You pick apart every ones posts, right down to grammatical errors. And by pointing out that your a ford guy on ls1tech, I'm simply stating that your not going to find very many people that share your point of view. And BTW, the post counter doesn't really work on this site. But I'm sure you already knew that since your such a regular around here.

post count
My point is I'm not some nuthuggin re-Tard. I've actually contributed to this site on a techincal basis. Not to mention PM's.

Yes it does work.....but I see you came to realize that later on in this thread.
Originally Posted by lemons12
The post counter works perfect on this site.

You actually think it is "broke"?
That is funny.
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Fixed it for ya.

Why did you choose the 2002 LS6 over the 2001 LS1 when comparing it to the 2000 5.4L Ford?

Not to mention I knew the first GM nut swinger would bring up the 2001-2004 LS6 and compare it to an earlier model Ford. I didn't know the first one to reply would though. Sad

Why don't we compare a 2000 5.4L against a 2000 5.6L?
Where do you idiots come from?! "Doesn't have much room for improvement" you are saying this based on what technical information given about the 2011 5.0? Stick to what you know...

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Looks to me that they already went from high 12's @ 112 mph to high 11's at 118 mph with bolt-ons...what do you consider "much room for improvement"?
Great post as usual.
Originally Posted by MSS91Z28
my post was more in reference to the motor itself, not track times. Sure they squeezed a second off the 1/4 mile time, but the car was in full track trim when they ran those times.

They only squeezed around 40whp out of the motor over factory, i don't foresee much more power out of that motor without boost or nitrous.

So where I stand now is, you can easily make an ls1 have over 450-460 at the wheels with h/c/i, now i have a feeling the mustangs heads, cams, and intake dont have much room for improvement, so they are limited to just over 400 at the wheels.

so a 5.7 with 450-460, and a 5.0 with around 400...it's not reinventing the wheel. they made a comparable motor power to cube wise to the ls1, finally. congradulations ford.

***edit*** and like i said before, i'm open to anyone changing my mind with proven results.
Uh?....so you're saying we all race our motors on a motor dyno? I thought the whole point WAS racing. If you are so open minded, then you wouldn't have such a strong a opinion right now. YOu'd be a tad more patient to see what does happen.

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
The post counter only counts posts you make in certain sections. i.e. technical sections.
Originally Posted by Finkle06
THAT would explain a lot.
Welcome to LS1tech.

SIgned,

The Ford Mustang guy that has more posts on here than you and has been here long enough to know how the site works and even have some respect from GM owners because he actually knows what he's talking about a decent amount of the time.

long signing, i know.

P.S. Can we be friends now?
Old 05-08-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where do you idiots come from?! "Doesn't have much room for improvement" you are saying this based on what technical information given about the 2011 5.0? Stick to what you know...
First of all good job on being a child. what are you? 16 and just drove your first 215 hp 1996 mustang GT?

the 2011 5.0 doesn't break any physics laws that have stood since, well, forever. you can only get so much torque per displacement out of an engine. 90 ft lbs per liter is a pretty good number. once you hit that plateau you have to shift the torque curve up to produce more horsepower. what I was asking (and, I might add, are legitimate questions but youre not that bright are you?) is:
is the bottom end strong enough to handle 7500 rpm? 8000 rpm? can the valvetrain?
how much will driveability and low end power be compromised by installing camshafts that shift the torque band up?

can you answer these questions? or are you just going to be a retard and call me an idiot? I am sorry I used simple math it must have confused you. I bet I could figure out most of those equations faster than you even if I was using an abacus and you a calculator.

so where does ford go from here? the genV GM V8s are coming and theyre gonna be impressive. ford really can't make much more torque. they will have to continue by shifting the RPM band upward. at some point you start sacrificing high RPM power for low end torque. can you get that through your thick head? this car still weighs 3650 lbs you need some low end torque unless you want to shift at 4000 rpm everywhere which WILL negatively effect fuel economy (which is gonna get kind of important over the next few years)

so, would you like to have a civilized debate or are you gonna continue acting like a child?
Originally Posted by F8L BYT
Waiting for the answer to this one..
GM had a 5.7L engine making 405 hp in 1993. why did it take ford 7 years to catch GM?

GM was also first to one hp per cube back in 1957. how long did it take ford to have a V8 that hit one horsepower per cube? the 289 made, at most, 271 hp. I believe the boss 351s would be the first fords to achieve this feat and they came some 10+ years later.

childish ford fans, keep digging yourselves holes.

Last edited by zigroid; 05-08-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zigroid
First of all good job on being a child. what are you? 16 and just drove your first 215 hp 1996 mustang GT?

the 2011 5.0 doesn't break any physics laws that have stood since, well, forever. you can only get so much torque per displacement out of an engine. 90 ft lbs per liter is a pretty good number. once you hit that plateau you have to shift the torque curve up to produce more horsepower. what I was asking (and, I might add, are legitimate questions but youre not that bright are you?) is:
is the bottom end strong enough to handle 7500 rpm? 8000 rpm? can the valvetrain?
how much will driveability and low end power be compromised by installing camshafts that shift the torque band up?

can you answer these questions? or are you just going to be a retard and call me an idiot? I am sorry I used simple math it must have confused you. I bet I could figure out most of those equations faster than you even if I was using an abacus and you a calculator.

so where does ford go from here? the genV GM V8s are coming and theyre gonna be impressive. ford really can't make much more torque. they will have to continue by shifting the RPM band upward. at some point you start sacrificing high RPM power for low end torque. can you get that through your thick head? this car still weighs 3650 lbs you need some low end torque unless you want to shift at 4000 rpm everywhere which WILL negatively effect fuel economy (which is gonna get kind of important over the next few years)

so, would you like to have a civilized debate or are you gonna continue acting like a child?

GM had a 5.7L engine making 405 hp in 1993. why did it take ford 7 years to catch GM?

GM was also first to one hp per cube back in 1957. how long did it take ford to have a V8 that hit one horsepower per cube? the 289 made, at most, 271 hp. the 306 hp 289 and 315 hp 302s of the late 60s dont count because they were shelby modified ford engines. not ford production.

childish ford fans, keep digging yourselves holes.
Gm nutswingers.....you're all so hilarious.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Gm nutswingers.....you're all so hilarious.
I will take this as submission that I am right, you are wrong, when you resort to name calling without providing anything else useful.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

now, regarding the 5.0L, it is an impressive engine. I saw evolution made about 375 rwtq at peak with boltons ... nascar and F1 engines run at 215-220 psi range. a 302 running at 220 psi BMEP is making about 440 ft lbs of torque which is probably not far off from where that bolt on evolution car is sitting. I bet you'll see some go in to the 380s rwtq MAYBE touch 390 rwtq which is no doubt impressive from a 5.0L.
I would also like to know, when I type the above mentioning how impressive the 5.0L is, that ford fans could take offense and call me a nutswinger.

you guys are just trolls.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will take this as submission that I am right, you are wrong, when you resort to name calling without providing anything else useful.
A) your post was not directed towards me. You were replying to someone else. I merely stated my observation.

B) who's being the child now with the 'submission that I am right' mentality? We haven't even had a conversation in here. I could pick apart you post so much it's pathetic. I'm more interested in seeing what stopsign has to say as it was directed at him.

C) I'll take it as my observation was correct.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would also like to know, when I type the above mentioning how impressive the 5.0L is, that ford fans could take offense and call me a nutswinger.

you guys are just trolls.
Trolls? I've been here four years and have contributed more than you could imagine being a "Ford Troll".

In fact, I have less than half of your posts being a "ford guy" on a primarily GM site.

And BTW - Pssst.....you're wrong about teh Boss 351.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I could pick apart you post so much it's pathetic.
for some reason when you post I think of this picture:

if you want to pick apart my post go ahead I invite you to. please explain how ford is going to get more torque per displacement than any 4 stroke all motor engine ever. please explain how they are going to produce an engine capable of operating in a 7000 rpm band (1000-8000 rpm) without sacrificing power at any point. if you can do this I will shut up.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Trolls? I've been here four years and have contributed more than you could imagine being a "Ford Troll".
the troll reference was more towards f8l byte and stopsign32v
Old 05-08-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

for some reason when you post I think of this picture:

if you want to pick apart my post go ahead I invite you to. please explain how ford is going to get more torque per displacement than any 4 stroke all motor engine ever. please explain how they are going to produce an engine capable of operating in a 7000 rpm band (1000-8000 rpm) without sacrificing power at any point. if you can do this I will shut up.
Try to be more original will you. That E-thug **** is so old your grandmother was the photographer.

I'm actually heading out and have to log off, but I'll check back in later, and if Stop hasn't torn it apart of If I have something else to add, I'll gladly do so. I will leave you will this................the vast majority of what you posted is purely assumption as you have no idea what ford can and can't do. And of course shifting power bands will sacrifice somewhere at some point. You never stress that point. You stressed Ford not being able to do much more with the motor. that's your whole point.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by MSS91Z28
my post was more in reference to the motor itself, not track times. Sure they squeezed a second off the 1/4 mile time, but the car was in full track trim when they ran those times.

They only squeezed around 40whp out of the motor over factory, i don't foresee much more power out of that motor without boost or nitrous.

So where I stand now is, you can easily make an ls1 have over 450-460 at the wheels with h/c/i, now i have a feeling the mustangs heads, cams, and intake dont have much room for improvement, so they are limited to just over 400 at the wheels.

so a 5.7 with 450-460, and a 5.0 with around 400...it's not reinventing the wheel. they made a comparable motor power to cube wise to the ls1, finally. congradulations ford.

***edit*** and like i said before, i'm open to anyone changing my mind with proven results.
Feelings dont prove anything, facts do.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

zigroid, you are asking questions that NONE of us could know, unless one of the members here designed the 5.0. How would anybody know how strong the bottom end is and how much RPM it could take before popping? The ONLY way to find that out is trial and error and I don't think there are any 5.0's on the road yet but I may be wrong.

I will say you are correct about the displacement and torque arguement, but come on man. Who races from such a low RPM you have to rely on low end torque? We aren't diesels.

I will add however that bolting on a supercharger will solve the whole low end torque problem and Mustang guys have been going the boost route because of the expense of an NA build for the better part of 15 years now. The last time it didn't cost a first born child to do a massive NA build was in 1995 with the death of the famed 302.

Like I said, as far as torque goes the LSX has the 5.0 beat purely because of displacement.

I'm very interested in what this engine's capabilities are both NA and with FI. It should make for a very interesting few years for the GM-Ford wars.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the vast majority of what you posted is purely assumption as you have no idea what ford can and can't do. And of course shifting power bands will sacrifice somewhere at some point. You never stress that point. You stressed Ford not being able to do much more with the motor. that's your whole point.
and I came up with at least something supporting my argument whereas you and your cronies are basically saying "NUH UH"

Ill be eagerly awaiting your articulated response. I hope you can dumb it down a little so stopsign can understand it.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
zigroid, you are asking questions that NONE of us could know, unless one of the members here designed the 5.0. How would anybody know how strong the bottom end is and how much RPM it could take before popping? The ONLY way to find that out is trial and error and I don't think there are any 5.0's on the road yet but I may be wrong.

I will say you are correct about the displacement and torque arguement, but come on man. Who races from such a low RPM you have to rely on low end torque? We aren't diesels.

I will add however that bolting on a supercharger will solve the whole low end torque problem and Mustang guys have been going the boost route because of the expense of an NA build for the better part of 15 years now. The last time it didn't cost a first born child to do a massive NA build was in 1995 with the death of the famed 302.

Like I said, as far as torque goes the LSX has the 5.0 beat purely because of displacement.

I'm very interested in what this engine's capabilities are both NA and with FI. It should make for a very interesting few years for the GM-Ford wars.
Not much but here's some info...
http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2...g_GT_Specs.pdf
Old 05-08-2010, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlkMach1
Feelings dont prove anything, facts do.
true, so where are your facts?
Old 05-08-2010, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post