Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

BS thread - 2011 GT 11.80's @ 118 with bolt ons

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

405.2 - 368.6 = 36.6 rwhp gain too, not 42.

did evolution ever weigh the car as it was when it ran an 11.8?
Old 05-09-2010, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like it a real good time to invest in a remote bottle opener so I dont have to worry about getting cought with my bottle off.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Teching In

All this hype for this Mustang. I can't wait to see them in the hands of the fanbois. 99% of them are going to be stuck in the 13's just like in 98 with the LS1.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
All this hype for this Mustang. I can't wait to see them in the hands of the fanbois. 99% of them are going to be stuck in the 13's just like in 98 with the LS1.
And in '04-'06 with the GTO.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
And in '04-'06 with the GTO.
Just with a LOT higher trap.....
Old 05-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

I wanna run a bolt on 6.0 GTO or a cammed one. I don't know of any around here. Only a blue cammed G8. But he always comes by my work when I'm working. Never see him (or hell anything!!) when I'm actually out driving.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

zigroid, are you going to respond to my post or just ignore it and concede your hypothetical point?

I guess I can say the same to you that you did to stopsign in that case.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lemons12
Just with a LOT higher trap.....
'05-'06 - yeah, '04 - obviously no. LOL.
I'm bored as **** over here. Damn Sundays.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Video of said runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qc4Xb7G1ck
Old 05-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Anyone else find it odd that they picked up almost 10mph when swapping wheels/tires?
It also helped that they ran at ATCO. DA was probably about negative 1500.
The video will serve its purpose though, and that is to sell parts to starry eyed fanbois.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone else find it odd that they picked up almost 10mph when swapping wheels/tires?
The video will serve its purpose though, and that is to sell parts to starry eyed fanbois.
Well...they did this...and they ran there..... Stoopid fanbois

Translation: Oh noes, N/A Mustang is faster then me!@
Old 05-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Well...they did this...and they ran there..... Stoopid fanbois

Translation: Oh noes, N/A Mustang is faster then me!@
I hope to meet you someday
Old 05-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jgoodson
I hope to meet you someday
I'm in Greenville, SC. Zipcode is 29617. Coming from NC stay on I26 and get off on I85. Coming from Georgia stay on I85 and it will bring you right to me.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zigroid
my proof is this:
BMEP = 150.8 x torque / displacement
4 stroke engines are limited to how much torque they can make. you wont ever see a 302 cube engine making 500 ft lbs of torque. if you see one making 450 ft lbs of torque you should probably play the lottery more often as that is one incredibly stout engine not often seen.
You aren't listening are you?

and btw assuming a well accepted 15% drivetrain loss, the EP mustang is almost there. 375/.85=441.17 And if that motor gets better breathing like LT's?...or better yet, some better intake cams?

Guess we all better go play the lottery 'eh?

So if an engine is peaking at 6800 rpm where exactly should you shift? 6800 rpm? you're losing average power shifting there. why do LS1s peaking at 6400 rpm shift at 7000-7200? you're really making yourself look like an idiot with replies like that.
Are you seriously asking me that question? PLease don't tell me you are that ignorant. That question implies that all cars should be shifted near redline in all gears. Ever hear of something called.......................transmission gear ratios? I certainly wouldn't have shifted my machs the same as my cobra's. Nor would i do it the same as an N/A cobra or an LS1. It's not just about the powerband genius, but the gear ratio's and where you are in the powerband in the next gear. And that will depend on what the ratios are in the transmission......comprende'? Whose the one looking like an idiot now?

I do have a pretty good idea of the torque the engine will produce when the aftermarket gets in to it.
BMEP = 150.8 x torque / displacement
pretty cool equation right there.
once again this isnt some magical engine that will break the rules of physics. unless there is forced induction involved that engine will not see over 450 ft lbs EVER. 450 ft lbs is probably going to be around 390 rwtq.
See above genius. IT'S ALREADY ALMOST AT 450lbs.!!!!......man, please don't tell me you are THAT ignorant that you can't see what's right in front of you. Up until this, I took you as a pretty knowledged guy. But now, I'm having my doubts. YOu just said never ever in all caps, and I just showed you how it's a bolt on or two away from it. And, if it makes you feel better, we can lower the DT loss percentage to 12%; that'd put it at 426.14 TQ. Still only LT's and a tune away IMO. (yes, opinion. I can admit that seems how it hasn't been done yet).

LSx based engines see tremendous horsepower gains because they also have tremendous torque gains. as I said before you can go from 330 rwtq to 430 rwtq. thats why they make power without having to spin really high. when you have an engine that makes 350 rwtq peak, only has the potential to make ~380-390 rwtq peak, you are going to have to find another way to make more horsepower. that other way is shifting the torque curve up. this isn't something I just pulled out of my ***, prettied up, and posted on the forum.
REally?....hmmm...interesting cause I see the same increase per mod in an LS1 as you do with a modular with bolt ons. ONce you tear open the long block that's a different story, but with bolt on's....gains are pretty much the same.

the only speculation in that paragraph was my prediction that you wont see them hit 400 rwtq. but that speculation is pretty god damn well educated.
Now it's back to 400. Just above you said 390 cause that would equal 450. Please, make up your mind.

did you read my original post? I have said the engine is impressive. the ford guys are the ones thinking its the second coming of christ. the GM guys are rolling their eyes because we've had cars that went in to the 11s with boltons at 115+ mph for 10+ years.
Please show me where on this site the Ford guys are thinking that. Prove it. IDC about any other site cause we are having this discussion here.

the mach 1 makes about 60 rwtq less than the LS1 at 2000 rpm. 1500-2500 rpm is where I drive 90% of the time. since I have already shown why they arent going to get a whole lot more torque out of the engine (ford has to deal with more stringent requirements than the aftermarket. its gonna need cats, a safer tune, etc) they are gonna have to shift the RPM band up to make more hp. what part of this dont you understand?
Again....back and forth. Are we talking factory only or a/m too? You keep going all over the place. Come to think of it, I dont' think I've ever seen a dyno sheet of a mach one that starts at 2k rpm. Have you? I'd like to see it if you have one. No really, post it up. I'd actually love to see a dyno comparison of that.

those boss 351s were underrated. so what was the first advertised 1 hp per cube engine ford made? none of the big blocks did it.
I never said any of the big blocks did. You're reaching on this one bubba. I know the boss 351s were under rated. I also know that the vast majority of the small and big block motors were. Did you not happen to notice my username? classics is what got me into performance cars. I said advertised because there's nothing concrete to show just how under rated motors were back then. Advertised is all we have to go off of. Sounds like you are simply trying to make yourself appear right with that comment of under-rated, but the fact is even if you went off of that argument you'd still be wrong as it wasn't the first to be under rated. The first one that I can personally think of........is the Modular 4V motor. Having said that, I don't see what the entire point of that is though. WHo really cares how long it took for them to make 1hp per L? I guess if we really have to look at that we'd have to say It's good to see gm do that over ford. Seems how they always came after Ford anyway. Camaro was GM's answer to mustang; the LS1 was the answer to the 5.0foxes (which were quicker/faster than 3rd gens); the 3rd gen cam after the fox design; and now after an 8 year break they have an answer to a 5 year old sales killer.......the S197. However, I try not to look at it that way as I like both cars/setups.

Ill say it one more time. ford did a good job of getting big power out of a small package. ~425 hp and ~400 tq is pretty damn good out of a 5.0L. my initial argument was that ford doesn't have a whole lot more they can do with the engine from a production level. the aftermarket has the luxury of removing catalytic converters, running very aggressive tunes, running larger camshafts without worrying about fuel economy or emissions. you can't squeeze a whole lot more torque out of this engine so the only way to make more horsepower is to push the RPM band up. obviously if they choose to do this they will build a bottom end that can support the power but my other question was at what point does it become a high strung race engine? Ive driven M3s that need to wind to 8000 rpm to make 330 hp. ive riden in S2000s that need 8500 rpm to make 240 hp. they are not fun cars to drive normal. they suck, actually. my personal preference is big power as soon as I hit the gas. others are different, I understand that.
Again, back on the production part. You keep going back and forth.....but I'll keep my response on a production level point. Ford CAN do more. Do you not know how restrictive the midpip is on that thing? They did it for control to keep the car at the advertised hp level they wanted. They can easily open up the piping and lean just a tad for the tune. That will not only get more hp, but keep the mpg there. Not only that....again, they can use different intake cams if they so choose. You have NO IDEA what is at the descression for them to use or not.

Do you mind if I ask you if you have an engineering degree? I ask because you seem to have the mentality of a young (or inexperienced) engineer of some sort.

And if you haven't already check out this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/dyno-benc...numbers-2.html

Last edited by ponygt65; 05-09-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:04 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by MSS91Z28
where though?
Originally Posted by dsmfan95
Heads, cams, etc?
Heads/intake (even ported stock units), cams, longtubes, pulleys, bigger valves, etc.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol we're not allowed to talk about that.

Cat-back+tune+wheels/tires = 11's, remember?
Old 05-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Puck
Lol we're not allowed to talk about that.

Cat-back+tune+wheels/tires = 11's, remember?
This is what all the Mustang fanbois are clutching on to right now.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Banned

I'm in Greenville, SC. Zipcode is 29617. Coming from NC stay on I26 and get off on I85. Coming from Georgia stay on I85 and it will bring you right to me.
I get out of the marine corps in 6months and 28 days and I have to run down 95 to get to alabama ill see what i can do
Old 05-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jgoodson
I get out of the marine corps in 6months and 28 days and I have to run down 95 to get to alabama ill see what i can do
Well shoot me a PM in half a year when you want to run me. lol
Old 05-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Banned

Well shoot me a PM in half a year when you want to run me. lol
lol it just feels like something i need to do before I die ya know