Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

550i vs Foxbody.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new 5.0 is too much money right now.
H/C 6L would get my vote.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:34 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, but Stopsign is right... I would imagine that the 5.0 they are using still idles/drives damn near close to stock.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by snake95
But Stopsign, won't the combo you suggested kill low end torque?
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
I get my torque from the 4.30 gears.
Real motors, "cough cough," 5.7, 6.0 "cough" don't have a problem with torque with heads and a cam.

Let the bashing begin!!
Old 06-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
Real motors, "cough cough," 5.7, 6.0 "cough" don't have a problem with torque with heads and a cam.

Let the bashing begin!!
My rule is it has to have 8 cylinders, the new Stang proves that 5 liters can do every bit as much as 6.2 liters, how much fun would it even be if the stang upped the displacement to 6.2?
....aaaand my comment was me being facetious because a lot of stang owners are afraid to use high flowing parts because they think it will kill their low end.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Teching In

It won't kill low end, but you can do better. The reason stang owners are concerned is because they know that you're RPM limited on a stock 5.0 block. There's just no way around it.

With a 192cc head, you're not going to build the port velocity you would with a 165-180cc head. High ports and an RPM II are more optimal for a stroker or a 7k+ rpm 302.

The combination will be strong. It will end up with more peak hp. You'll also have room to grow into more displacement in the future. If that's what you care about, you're in great shape.

Chris
Old 06-03-2010, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

My rule is it has to have 8 cylinders, the new Stang proves that 5 liters can do every bit as much as 6.2 liters, how much fun would it even be if the stang upped the displacement to 6.2?
....aaaand my comment was me being facetious because a lot of stang owners are afraid to use high flowing parts because they think it will kill their low end.
I know where your coming from, I just like being an instigator! I thought I was going to get bashed a little more than that! The new stang motor is very impressive and years down the road when they become available and semi-affordable, I'd love to see them transplanted in some older cars.

Back when I had my 305 TPI in my TA, I would have LOVED for it to respond to mods like a good old fox body 5.0 does!
Old 06-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
I know where your coming from, I just like being an instigator! I thought I was going to get bashed a little more than that! The new stang motor is very impressive and years down the road when they become available and semi-affordable, I'd love to see them transplanted in some older cars.

Back when I had my 305 TPI in my TA, I would have LOVED for it to respond to mods like a good old fox body 5.0 does!
Haha hey man there has been enough Camaro vs. Mustang bashing for us to have reading material for years! As long as you know I'm just ribbin' ya, it's all in fun ...but you ain't kiddin' about a Fox being mod-friendly, and you cannot beat with a STICK how easy they are to work on...I've been curious about owning an LS car for a while, though, and my next car just might have to be a TA.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chris Arnold
It won't kill low end, but you can do better. The reason stang owners are concerned is because they know that you're RPM limited on a stock 5.0 block. There's just no way around it.

With a 192cc head, you're not going to build the port velocity you would with a 165-180cc head. High ports and an RPM II are more optimal for a stroker or a 7k+ rpm 302.

The combination will be strong. It will end up with more peak hp. You'll also have room to grow into more displacement in the future. If that's what you care about, you're in great shape.

Chris
I agree, and while I know what Stopsign is talking about when he says that (will do well when racing, street and track), I love the low end grunt my AFR165s give me, and they keep that torque all the way to when I shift at 5900. A lot of people run AFR185s on a 302 and love it, too.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

the hell with that,

How about what Unit213's buddy did. Swapped in the 03+ cobra motor in. I'll see if I can find his post about it. Pullied, etc, 600+ hp in a foxbody is going to be fast.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
the hell with that,

How about what Unit213's buddy did. Swapped in the 03+ cobra motor in. I'll see if I can find his post about it. Pullied, etc, 600+ hp in a foxbody is going to be fast.
Yes, for sure. I'd rather do a dart blocked 347 with a turbo, the reason being that I haven't gotten "used" to the mod-motor engine bay and how it literally looks like it was shoehorned in. I like the look of my engine bay and how it looks like I could stuff a dead body in between the motor and the strut tower
Old 06-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember my first drive in a modified mustang: it was a 4 year old 1984 Mustang GT that was just traded in at the dealer for a '88 LX 5.0. Its black paint was faded pretty bad, interior was void of any sound deadener with 2 racing bucket seats, aftermarket shifter, steep gears, engine was stroked (dont remember how much) and running heads that had some speed shops named etched into them, a big rumpety cam, headers, different exhaust, stock rims- but the backs were widened to take what must have been 275 series tires... I saw every head on that huge lot turn when the service manager fired it up and brought it over to get detailed. I had to drive it!!

So after the detailing, I grabbed the keys and said I had to take it to the gas station. Nobody argued since I was one of the only guys that could drive it: clutch was friggin HEAVY!!! In all my years, I've never seen any clutch even close to that beast in that mustang. I had to grip the steering wheel while I disengaged it! I was in love.

Made it two whole blocks before I let'er rip: thing could drift sideways forever! Rapped out a few gears and was stunned by how fast I had to row the shifter and how viscous that thing was. Went down to a local park and hit up it's parking lot: must have killed at least half the tire tread!

Man I wanted that car: but even though I could swing the payments and got the financing, no insurance company would insure me for anywhere near reasonable. Don't know why, I had just turned 18 after all: I was an adult, insurance was supposed to be cheaper! lol

Almost got fired due to that car. Me and a salesman friend took it out for a joy ride a week later and brought it back with the tires down to the cords and rubber all over the fenders.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Yes, for sure. I'd rather do a dart blocked 347 with a turbo, the reason being that I haven't gotten "used" to the mod-motor engine bay and how it literally looks like it was shoehorned in. I like the look of my engine bay and how it looks like I could stuff a dead body in between the motor and the strut tower
Now that you mention turbo. Look at this old post below. I wish the video's still worked.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...sor-cobra.html

edit: lol, I found em!

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MOV01717.flv

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 06-03-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Almost got fired due to that car. Me and a salesman friend took it out for a joy ride a week later and brought it back with the tires down to the cords and rubber all over the fenders.
And thats why I hate buying used cars from dealerships!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

and the other: :devil

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Movie_0002.flv
Old 06-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
the hell with that,

03 Cobra motors are awesome. I agree with wickedwarlock, though. I like the pushrod motor more, and swapping in a cobra motor would cost some serious coin too. I'm not sure you'd come out ahead financially by going with the dart-based motor, but you could make more power, because you'd have a lot more displacement potential (think 468 c.i. from a maxed out Dart 351).

Chris
Old 06-04-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

kyle stay away from the trick flow kit ben paid 3 grand for the kit and only picked up .5 seconds he could have made ALOT more power for the same amount of money
Old 06-05-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

My rule is it has to have 8 cylinders, the new Stang proves that 5 liters can do every bit as much as 6.2 liters, how much fun would it even be if the stang upped the displacement to 6.2? .
they did.... and they had to use SOHC because the DOCH didnt have enough room to fit in an article i read.... IN A TRUCK(raptor).... tell me how big that motor is.. Everyone can say oh yea make it bigger problem is you cant fit the ******* thing in anything.

Also not to detract from the ....hype.... of the 5.0 but you guys shouldnt use evolution as your gospel to 5.0 performance.... just sayin. a bolt on stang trapping 125mph N/A? a 3200 pound z06 with 450 rwhp traps 125mph and thats a good run... unless of course a 412hp 5.0 picks up over 125 rwhp from JUST bolt ons. hah