Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

It finally happened, new 5.0 killed me

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Weight is the key, but that is part of the car...
I know, point was about the LSX beeing inferior engine.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hp/liter is ricer math

edit: unless you are running a class with a displacement restriction
Old 07-19-2010, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
hp/liter is ricer math

edit: unless you are running a class with a displacement restriction
I can do about 300hp/L.

I'll be the first person to say that doesn't mean a damned thing.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fdjizm
he needs to learn the difference between plural and singular then...
one 2010 camaro ran 12.58 one time, let's just have that be known.
I wish i could type slower.. you might get it.

10ss - singular
10ss's - plural

No ¿Hablas inglés?

And no stock ls1's arent fast. The new 5.0 is a good motor. Its just not the second coming people are making it out to be. Im stoked its quick. I cant wait to start walking them up and down the road. And im sure eventually ill run in to one that will drag me down the highway.

All im trying to say is the damn thing is not fast with bolt ons. Its fast for whats done, but in the real scene its just another 12 second car. Who cares? If i showed you a bolt on fbody that hit low 12's high 11's no one would care. Mustang does it and people started lining up on their knee's with their mouths open.

Im not nearly the hater it seems just people are freaking out about this since it will out run a ls1 mod for mod and thats rare.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good death OP!

If it came down to it at this point and day, I'd buy a 2011 GT over a Camaro SS.

I've driven auto versions of both (I prefer auto for stalled autos), and I thought the GT's ride felt much better and the suspension was better. I do note that the SS doesn't feel as heavy as it is in reality.

When it comes down to it, I'm a performance guy. In the performance game, we want lighter cars. If I can get a GT (which I can) for cheaper than a SS that weights less, has a better feeling suspension, looks better IMO, and performs better, you better bet I'm buying that car.

I would consider myself a GM guy too saying all of this. However, I am not thickheaded to the point that I will deny when another car outperforms mine
Old 07-19-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha to the OP for the sig quote... i lol'd when i saw that... forgot i ever posted it.

Also i forget who said it and im not going back 3 pages to look but whoever said that a cammed ls3 will only keep up with a bolt on 5.0 is a tard. I also think its funny how the 5.0 liter vs the 6.2 liter keeps coming up, yet the fact that the 5.0 is a 32v motor is neglected. Its not a secret doch motors have higher hp/liter. Its also not a secret dohc motors are bigger and heavier then OHV engines, thus allowing OHV engines to have more displacement and less weight then a smaller displacement dohc engine yet be lighter and more compact. Understand simple minded ricer hp/liter people? All that matters is how much power you make and how heavy the engine is. LSX is at the top here..... hp liter is so ******* dumb, go buy a s2000 and tell me how much fun hp/liter is.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:15 PM
***Repost Police***

S2000s are actually incredibly fun cars. I would know, I used to own one. And it was me who made the comment about cammed SSs running about the same time as a full bolt-on GT. A gear would help, but I still think it would be close (at least in the 1/4).
Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Launching!

I raced an s2k honda in my m-6 lt1 and from a roll the little honda gave me hell.We did it from a dig and he almost filed charges on me for rape! lol! pretty stout on the freeway those cars for being a 4 banger.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Teching In

I mean come on cant we all agree that this happens every time the new camaro comes out...lets think back to when the first ls1 in the camaro was released, they launched it with the purpose of beating the mustangs( besides the pre 03 cobra, which is a drivers race) then ford comes out with the 03 cobra after we stop selling, touche ford. Now the new camaro was released in purpose to beat the comparable gt modle ford produced...and did. Now ford is striking back and one ups GM, i mean really whos to say they wont just do the ls7 swap like they shoulda done a long time ago to keep the chrown while ford makes something better then before and the cycle repeats.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:52 PM
***Repost Police***

LS7 isn't gonna go in any Camaro priced semi-reasonably any time soon.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Damn how much power does it take to make those pigs go fast lol!
Originally Posted by Irunelevens
LS7 isn't gonna go in any Camaro priced semi-reasonably any time soon.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
I also think its funny how the 5.0 liter vs the 6.2 liter keeps coming up, yet the fact that the 5.0 is a 32v motor is neglected. Its not a secret doch motors have higher hp/liter. Its also not a secret dohc motors are bigger and heavier then OHV engines, thus allowing OHV engines to have more displacement and less weight then a smaller displacement dohc engine yet be lighter and more compact. Understand simple minded ricer hp/liter people? All that matters is how much power you make and how heavy the engine is. LSX is at the top here..... hp liter is so ******* dumb, go buy a s2000 and tell me how much fun hp/liter is.
There we go, about time somebody posted this. The Gen5 SS<2011 GT but the LS3>Coyote 5.0. All you nuthuggers talking hp/liter being a bragging point can go suck it, I care more for power-to-weight, power-to-size (external dimensions), or power-per-dollar than power-per-liter any day. The new 5.0 is inferior to the LS3 in every one off these areas. Even if they were equal, this is an LS forum, not a dohc V-8 forum.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:20 AM
***Repost Police***

This might be an LSx forum, but this is an off-topic section.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rjwz28
There we go, about time somebody posted this. The Gen5 SS<2011 GT but the LS3>Coyote 5.0. All you nuthuggers talking hp/liter being a bragging point can go suck it, I care more for power-to-weight, power-to-size (external dimensions), or power-per-dollar than power-per-liter any day. The new 5.0 is inferior to the LS3 in every one off these areas. Even if they were equal, this is an LS forum, not a dohc V-8 forum.
Totally right. We should be wrong to support our forum..
Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 AM
12 Second Club

There were 2 2011 5.0's at Fontana this weekend. 1 of them fully stock with street tires was running mid 14's. The other one had a full set of slicks skinnies up front dont know what other mods if any but he was running high 12's....
Old 07-20-2010, 02:25 AM
Staging Lane

lets not forget, the 11 GT is rated @412/390 with a compression of 11.0:1 and the 10 SS is rated @420/408 with a compression of 10.7.

I am glad that FORD finally pulled their heads out of their asses for a change. But as usual GM won't let them hold on to it. GM can easily take it back and stick with the LS3. Bump the compression a little bit, and change the cam specs a little bit, and I'm sure they can shave a little weight somewhere. And who knows, I keep hearing about the emergence of a Z28, they might would even make it stand out by installing a LS7 in it, who knows...

IMHO, I think the 11 GT just may make it interesting, finally!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
You have the new mustang gt, the 370z, the genesis coupe, the rally twins, etc all selling cars in that price bracket all targeting people who like performance. Yet the camaro and the mustang are both selling well. I think that's a tribute to gm and ford finally building cars which can stand up to good competition in that class then anything.

if the mustang being a tick quicker then a camaro in 2010 is the camaro loosing sales then you don't understand why really drives the sales of both of these cars.
Exactly right. You've got the "rally twins" (lol) as your turbo four banger option, you've got the 370z and Genesis Coupe as your competitive v6's (and the 2.0L turbo the Genesis offers fits with the "rally twins"), and last but not least the new Mustang GT and Camaro SS as your revived muscle cars optioned with great performing v8's (and handling that is NOT reminiscent of the 60's thank the Lord).

They're all in a similar price range -- I think the rally twins are pretty high up on the cost, then Camaro, then Mustang, then 370z, then Genesis as a quick run down of the "price ladder." You'll notice, as did I, that the Mustang is actually smack dab in the middle of the pricing.

The MSRP of the 2011 Mustang GT (base -- not premium) is around $30k. In order to put things in perspective, the 2005 Mustang GT (base) had an MSRP of $25k. So yea the new Mustang GT is more expensive but the overall performance have improved (and in my opinion so have the looks!). Now you have to admit that's a hot deal. For the 19" wheels + brembo brake pkg and the 3.73's as options for the '11 Mustang GT you're sitting a little under $33k. Regardless of what you have seen in your area, what I've seen the new Camaro SS go for have all been $35k. In fact, even in the Ford showroom they (purposefully obviously ) had a brand new 2010 Camaro SS sitting as soon as you walked into the showroom for sale at $37k. They were practically yelling at you look how more expensive the Camaro is over the Mustang.

Minus the fancy options you can pick up a Mustang GT for a cool $31k. One thing I don't like about the Camaro SS (and this is me personally) is the price, and that's just my opinion. Plus.. give it a few months and I have a feeling all I'm going to see at every stoplight is 10 or so 2011 Mustangs staring at me in the face.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:50 AM
TECH Regular

Again, I find it humorous that people are acting like that "finally" Ford put out a fast Mustang/Car to compete with GM offerings.

I can't think of a year that Ford didn't have a car that was either DAMN CLOSE in speed, or faster than GMs camaro or firebirds.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ke^in
Again, I find it humorous that people are acting like that "finally" Ford put out a fast Mustang/Car to compete with GM offerings.

I can't think of a year that Ford didn't have a car that was either DAMN CLOSE in speed, or faster than GMs camaro or firebirds.
LOL 1993 to 1999 ring a bell?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:11 AM
12 Second Club

If I were buying a new pony car I would get a grabber blue GT. I've seen three of these and every flipping time I turned all the way around to admire it. It's a sharp car. And fast.

Quick Reply: It finally happened, new 5.0 killed me