Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

It finally happened, new 5.0 killed me

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

"A 96/97 Camaro SS would walk a 96/97 Cobra with no problems. I should know, I owned one"

I owned both and driven more than I can count and disagree with that big time. Cobra is a tougher car to get numbers with due to being way undergeared and no low end power.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
"A 96/97 Camaro SS would walk a 96/97 Cobra with no problems. I should know, I owned one"

I owned both and driven more than I can count and disagree with that big time. Cobra is a tougher car to get numbers with due to being way undergeared and no low end power.
Don't you argue with kevin, he has a 2 valve GT and the internet, he knows these cars well
Old 07-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by chavez885
Don't you argue with kevin, he has a 2 valve GT and the internet, he knows these cars well
Pay attention before you get a raging hard boner at the opportunity to take a stab at someone, BLWNV10 said that, not Kevin.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLWNV10
You guys need to pay closer attention. Notice I said "it had to either be a special edition or limited edition Mustang". "Special Vehicles Team" produced special edition Ford vehicles (Cobra, SVT Focus, Contour).
Which has nothing to do with the original statement, or my point. It was a straw-man argument. It's akin to saying "Of course if you want to get a GM faster than a Ford, you'll have to buy one with a bigger engine, so that doesn't count" Regardless of where it was made, a Cobra was close in price to the z28. Closer than it was to the Vette. By far. Not that it had anything to do with the argument. The comment I was responding to was about performance only.
With that said, you had to pay the premium to get a Mustang that would compete with a base model Z28 or Trans-Am/Formula.
Just like you had to pay more money to get a Z28/T/A over a regular 2v GT.
The Mustang that was priced in the base Z28/Firebirds range (the GT) could not compete from a performance standpoint.
The GT/Z28 price range difference was close to the Z28/Cobra price range difference. AGAIN NOT THAT IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH PRICE. That's a straw-man's argument. We are talking PERFORMANCE here. Of course a 03/04 Cobra that performs better than a Z28 is going to cost more. Just like off the lot a Z28 was more than a 2v GT.
Yes. '95 not 94.
Still the same era. No real relevant point made.
"Aftermarket Powerhouse" meaning SLP Engineering. They were responsible for the ram-air hood/intake, rear spoiler, exhaust, wheels and suspension components. Same parts all other "stock" SS's received from 1996-2002.
They were still aftermarket modifications. You could/can get those from Ford too. Facts are, they competed with a stock LT1.
It was still a 2003 model. There was no "direct" competition from GM that year. Period.
This is akin to you putting your fingers in your ears and saying "NA NA NA" Was their new 2002 SS Camaros on the lot the same time the 2003 Cobras were out? YES!They competed for sales. AGAIN NOT THAT IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL ARGUMENT.
It's not Ford's fault. I was just making a point. And the GT500 should be faster than the 5th gen SS for $15,000 more. That only makes sense.
Does it make sense that the 2011 GT is faster than it too, and it costs less money?

It has nothing to do with what I own. I can remember when the 5.0 came out. I was out of high school before the modular stangs started showing up. I remember when everyone thought the LT1 was teh ****.

Last edited by Ke^in; 07-20-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

This also reminds me of conversations that have been going on for years in here.

<GM owner> Man Ford makes slow cars.. why can't that come out with a performance car like GM! (Said cars are only fractions of a second different)

The new 5.0 comes out

<Mustang owner> Wow that 5.0 is not only faster, but it makes just about as much HP as the LS3 with a smaller size, those LS engines are getting outdated

<GM owner> HOW DARE YOU SAY SOMETHING SO STUPID LIKE THAT. THE LS ENGINE IS STILL A CONTENDER. JUST BECAUSE THE 5.0 IS FRACTIONS OF A SECOND FASTER MEANS NOTHING@!!1

Do I find it humorous that the karma wheel has switched sides? Maybe. But it's ironic non-the-less.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snake95
Pay attention before you get a raging hard boner at the opportunity to take a stab at someone, BLWNV10 said that, not Kevin.
Originally Posted by Ke^in
The 96-98 Cobra had a 305hp engine with DOHC 4v Both above were faster than the LT1s Z28s they were being compared with.
Oh really?

**edit** haha, I see what you mean, either way you know what I meant
Old 07-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike Morris

That was the point I was trying to make, albeit my post was a bit confusing I admit. lol Yes the LT1 SS was faster stock for stock!
Old 07-20-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

The LT1 was quicker only if it got more aftermarket modifications. Notice on the article you posted, the T/A with similar EVERYTHING got a slower time.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Which has nothing to do with the original statement, or my point. It was a straw-man argument. It's akin to saying "Of course if you want to get a GM faster than a Ford, you'll have to buy one with a bigger engine, so that doesn't count" Regardless of where it was made, a Cobra was close in price to the z28. Closer than it was to the Vette. By far. Not that it had anything to do with the argument. The comment I was responding to was about performance only.
By far the best thing you said in this post. Everything else was a bit "too left field" for me to give a decent response to.

Just like you had to pay more money to get a Z28/T/A over a regular 2v GT.
Actually, in 1999 the GT had a base price of $21,395 vs a base of $21,405 for the Z28. The Trans-Am was more expensive than both. The Firebird Formula was more in the GT & Z28's range with a base price of just under $23k.

The GT/Z28 price range difference was close to the Z28/Cobra price range difference. AGAIN NOT THAT IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH PRICE. That's a straw-man's argument. We are talking PERFORMANCE here. Of course a 03/04 Cobra that performs better than a Z28 is going to cost more. Just like off the lot a Z28 was more than a 2v GT.
My original statement was that you had to pay more money to get a Mustang that would compete with the "base" Z28/Formula & Trans-Am. So far what i've said is 100% accurate. Why is that so confusing to you.

Still the same era. No real relevant point made.
They were still aftermarket modifications. You could/can get those from Ford too. Facts are, they competed with a stock LT1.
This is akin to you putting your fingers in your ears and saying "NA NA NA" Was their new 2002 SS Camaros on the lot the same time the 2003 Cobras were out? YES!They competed for sales. AGAIN NOT THAT IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL ARGUMENT.
Now your just being silly. Not even worth a real response IMO.

Sometimes it's better to accept when your wrong rather than shove your foot in your mouth and make yourself sound like an idiot.

Last edited by BLWNV10; 07-20-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

By far the best thing you said in this post. Everything else was a bit "too left field" for me to give a decent response.
http://www.vandruff.com/art_converse.html

Conversational terrorism

The intent of detailing and naming these insidious tactics is so that the reader may AVOID USING THEM, to quickly recognize if someone else is using them, and for fun. There is much humor in the way people (consciously or unconsciously) conversationally cheat.

Ad Hominem Variants
OVER YOUR HEAD:
"I'd like to respond to that, but taking into account your background, education, and intelligence, I am quite sure that you would not be able to understand."

These are tactics from people with no argument. With no game. They are self defense mechanism used when you have no witty answer. Congrats.

Actually, the 1999 the GT had a base price of $21,395 vs a base of $21,405 for the Z28. The Trans-Am was more expensive than both. The Firebird Formula was actually in the Mustang GT & Z28's range with a base price of just under $23k.
You didn't listen to anything I said OFF THE DEALER LOT. Base price didn't mean anything. Off the dealer lot, the Z28s were selling for more than 2v GTs. ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

AGAIN NOT THAT THIS HAS ANY BEARING TO THE CONVERSATION. Quit bringing up these straw-men.
My original statement was..
It doesn't matter what YOUR original statement was. The original statement you made was in reply to a statement I made. Which had NOTHING TO DO WITH PRICE. Capiche?
Now your just sounding silly. Not even worth a real response.
Another non-answer "over your head" Ad Hominem Variant
Sometimes it's better just to admit when someone else is right rather than to shove your foot in your mouth and make yourself sound like an idiot.
I think you need to take your own advice on this one.

You've done nothing to discredit anything I've said. Lame Jr High ad hominem attacks does not make you look knowledgeable in what you are talking about. Had this been an actual "debate" you'd have been disqualified for being over all moronic in your approach.

FYI, the LT1 WS6 had everything from SLP that the Camaro SS did (hood, ram-air intake, wheels/tires, suspension, etc.).
Then why did it run .6 slower?
See Ke^in, your finally doing what your supposed to be doing here and that's LEARNING about these cars. Not just arguing over them. :CHEERS:
Too bad you haven't taught me a damned thing. How pretentiously condescending of you. The only "game" you have is price argument. Something that was never initially in the discussion. That's what is called a "straw man" argument. You need to learn more about how to debate a subject before getting condescending. You'll look less silly.

BTW why did you delete the comment above?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

in before the
Old 07-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Ke^in
Old 07-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.vandruff.com/art_converse.html

Conversational terrorism

The intent of detailing and naming these insidious tactics is so that the reader may AVOID USING THEM, to quickly recognize if someone else is using them, and for fun. There is much humor in the way people (consciously or unconsciously) conversationally cheat.
Dude your a joke. I can't even take you seriously. I'm going to leave you alone so that you don't furthur contaminate this thread with your non-sense, okay.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01stngkiller
Ke^in
Old 07-20-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Dude your a joke. I can't even take you seriously. I'm going to leave you alone so that you don't furthur contaminate this thread with your non-sense, okay.
You just did the exact same thing again. No substance. No debunking anything I said. Just lame character assassinations that have no merit. Your comments and replies are of desperation. If I was what you claim I was, it wouldn't be hard to dispute me without having to revert to such dishonest actions. That silliness may have worked on others in the past. But it doesn't fly with me.

Sorry it didn't work out the way you planned it.

The only person that was contaminating the thread with non-sense was you.

Lets hope you keep to your word about not replying back. But somehow, I think you wont.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually I dont consider the SS/WS6 line and Cobra line to be the same. The SS/WS6 packages are pretty much appearance packages, Cobras have completley different motors/drivetrains. SS's and WS6's are no faster than a Z28 or T/A or Formula.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

The fact is, neither company have similar price/options as far as cars go. GM doesn't really have a car like the Cobra. And Ford doesn't have a Vette like car anymore. Regardless I was referring to the modifications in said article that DID improve times.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh really?

**edit** haha, I see what you mean, either way you know what I meant
I just saw your edit, lol, I had a nice elaborate post typed out until I saw it.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

bunch of useless information and bunked debate. But on a positive note, looks like a couple people may be upping their post count quite a bit on this one thread...lol.

Internet post counters FTW!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

No posts are added to your post count in this part of the forum.

Quick Reply: It finally happened, new 5.0 killed me