Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

so yea,its time for a stall

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok we are getting off track here guys can we get back to the good info about tcs?
Old 07-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Wow you're a pessimistic a*hole arent you? The engineer I was talking to was one of the head engineers responsible for the design of the highest tech, most expensive aircraft engine in the world. A multi-billion dollar engine design. And a car guy who knows exactly how torque converters work.

But you, the internet warrior who knows everything, obviously knows more about it than him. Want a job? I'm sure Rolls Royce or GE would snap your superior intellect up in a heartbeat and pay you the millions that a head engineer makes without a second thought.
Ok you guys go back to work and design that torque converter with 10 million in technology and i'll sit back and laugh. have him come on here and explain how this works. You prolly really work at walmart giving out handy's in the men's room,your not fooling anyone broski.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Couple hammers short of a tool shed, aren't you? What part of a bunch of guys from here are meeting me AT MY WORK at 3pm today did you miss? Let me guess: you're one of the unemployed types who think everyone else is in the same crappy rickety boat as you?

Spent 20 years getting where I am. It didn't "fall" to me, nor was it luck or happenstance. Picked the field I wanted, got the training, then picked the company that would give me the most valuable on-the-job experience, then networked with the head guys at boeing in my field (NDT), and finally got hired into the job I have now.

Within a year, got fully certified and licensed in literally record setting time (because I pushed the envelope HARD). Now my sights are set on becoming one of the "head guys at Boeing in my field". What have YOU done for yourself lately?
Old 07-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the "$10 million torque converter" it was simply idle banter. Did I put it off as anything more than that? The trick thing about what he mentioned was his talking about the ability to push a button and engage a higher stall: an electromagnetic switch that would pull the stator/rotor vanes away from each other to create more bypass, ie 'slip'. Wouldnt be efficient, would create alot of excess heat, but that wouldnt matter since it would only be for a few seconds at launch. Obviously the guy had been thinking about it for awhile.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Not be negative but I work for a company called Alstom. They design and rebuild rail cars and locomotives. Most of the engineers I have met are completely USELESS and couldn't design a pen as mentioned. Talk to them and they think they can design anything with a budget.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Didn't read through all of the bullshit but!!! My car with an un tuned 4400 stall pulls harder spinning through gears than it did with the stock stall and this from any roll under 60 mph lol. 2.73s ftw.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Not be negative but I work for a company called Alstom. They design and rebuild rail cars and locomotives. Most of the engineers I have met are completely USELESS and couldn't design a pen as mentioned. Talk to them and they think they can design anything with a budget.
x10million
Old 08-03-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

sticks n stones fails at life. That is all.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

okay.... lets get back on topic....

When I read through this thread, I kept thinking of this race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl5itQLI2ak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOOUt...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpOjU...eature=related

Though it makes more power (and wins a race) the IROC is a stalled auto keeping up with a ZR1 which has a tighter 5th than in the Z06.

It would seem a properly balanced stall for roll-on's will do just fine to any mph when setup correctly. I know the "rush" you feel in a 6spd feels faster than a stalled auto but that sure doesn't make it faster overall.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

So what makes a stall properly balanced and setup correctly like that? Seems like it would be better going with a lower stall like 3200 or something to keep a good balance? Thanks for getting back on topic with the vids!