Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Buick Regal vs Acura NSX

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
You are trying to pass off your "opinion" as fact, and we "disagree" with you because you are wrong. It's as simple as that.
Could not have put it better myself.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Are '60s musclecars not musclecars anymore, cuz a Honda Odyssey would beat most of them?
Although I can't argue with this statement, An NSX will NEVER be a super car in my eyes. Sure, it's mid engined and it handles great. It's still slow as ***** and way overpriced.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by _DarkKnight_
99 corvette rated at 13.3 1/4 stock, 98 camaro rated at 13.6 1/4 stock... 98 is before we got the ls6 intake mani... WHO HERE WOULD PAY 20K TO GO .3 TENTHS FASTER????
I would, faster, a lot better looking and handeling.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
NSX a supercar? I have nothing against it being a Honda and it's more car than mine, but it's no more a sportscar than a Z06 IMO. And the only reason I'd personally take an NSX over a C5+ Z06 if given the choice is because of the styling. It's nothing short of supercar-ish in that regard.
The Z06 is a supercar as well, if for no other reason than what it is capable of. The NSX was a ground-breaking supercar because of how it was designed; Ayrton Senna (Formula 1 racer) worked closely with Honda designers and engineers to make it an extremely capable car that instilled confidence in the driver. It was one of the first cars in the world that had an all-aluminum chassis/suspension setup, and the engine used titanium connecting rods. So it was an extremely innovative car that was WAY ahead of its time.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by violent_celerity
although i can't argue with this statement, an nsx will never be a super car in my eyes. Sure, it's mid engined and it handles great. It's still slow as ***** and way overpriced.
:d:d:d:d
Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by violent_celerity
Although I can't argue with this statement, An NSX will NEVER be a super car in my eyes. Sure, it's mid engined and it handles great. It's still slow as ***** and way overpriced.
I'm not trying to change anybody's mind here, but it's not always about the hard numbers... look how it does against these cars (some of which cost 3x more) on a real track.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9259744802395#
Old 07-26-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

I have trouble watching and taking BM videos seriously.

They've been known to exaggerate times and they occasionally look like they're sandbagging certain cars.

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 07-26-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Teching In

No offense to anyone but not everyone buys a car because it's quick in a straight line.

Good kill nonetheless.
TECH Fanatic

So it was an extremely innovative car that was WAY ahead of its time.
I can understand this argument. I'm just really underwhelmed with what the NSX brings to the track. Sure, it's not a 1320 car and everyone knows that it's underpowered for it, but when you say "supercar" you tend to expect the whole package.

EDIT: This whole time I assumed that NSXs were mid 14 cars, when later models were mid 13s. Not as slow as I originally thought, especially for an NA V6 which is very impressive.

Last edited by NightWindDriftr; 07-26-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:07 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
I have trouble watching and taking BM videos seriously.

They've been known to exaggerate times and they occasionally look like they're sandbagging certain cars.
Doesn't look like they're sandbagging anything in that video.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:09 PM
***Repost Police***

I can understand this argument. I'm just really underwhelmed with what the NSX brings to the track. Sure, it's not a 1320 car and everyone knows that it's underpowered for it, but when you say "supercar" you tend to expect the whole package.

EDIT: This whole time I assumed that NSXs were mid 14 cars, when later models were mid 13s. Not as slow as I originally thought, especially for an NA V6 which is very impressive.
When the NSX first came out, a magazine (not sure which one) tested one to a 13.47, and the later 3.2l cars routinely ran ~13.2-13.3.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

I was just talking to my wife about moving away from f-bodies because these cars were becoming even more affordable to the kids.
Quoted for emphasis.

I love(d) my Camaro. I will also have a soft spot for them always but this logic is exactly why next year I may be rocking a GTO or C5.

Thanks for what is likely going to be my new signature quote as well.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

No, it doesn't, but their videos often contain times that don't make sense or mesh with what others are getting.

For example, in that video the 996 GT3 was slower than the NSX by nearly one second (comparing fastest laps).
But, in every other test done by other drivers, the GT3 was quicker (Heckenheim short, Norschleife, Fuji raceway, and Top Gear track). It could be shitty drivers, traffic, or just inconsistency, but it tends to steer me (at least) away from using them as any sort of benchmark.

I'm not trying to talk down the NSX at all. It is arguably one of the best handling cars of the 90's.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:20 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
No, it doesn't, but their videos often contain times that don't make sense or mesh with what others are getting.

For example, in that video the 996 GT3 was slower than the NSX by nearly one second (comparing fastest laps).
But, in every other test done by other drivers, the GT3 was quicker (Heckenheim short, Norschleife, Fuji raceway, and Top Gear track). It could be shitty drivers, traffic, or just inconsistency, but it tends to steer me (at least) away from using them as any sort of benchmark.
That wasn't a GT3. It was a 911 Turbo automatic.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:24 PM

Damn, this thread got awesomely entertaining! @ the guy who's been here for point 5 seconds calling people a newb!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

That wasn't a GT3. It was a 911 Turbo automatic.
My mistake. They tested the 996 GT3 on another occasion and couldn't muster a time quicker than the NSX.

In that case, use the M3 CSL as an example. BM tested that car at twin ring motegi (here) and tsukuba (other video). In both of those instances, the BMW was slower. BUT, others found it to be faster than the NSX-R. Specifically at Hockenheim, Nordschleife, and Top Gear track.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Teching In

buying a ls1 corvette is a waste of money, you paid for the name,, paid 9500 for my car, invested about 5k so say 15k, i acctually have a buddy that just got a 99 vet ls1 6 speed, i beat him by almost 5 car lengths in a 1/4... it has 20k miles he paid 25k... and brand new mine woulda been 20k his brand new in 99 about 40-45k... yes waste of money

If I lived at the tree and worked at the traps, I might be inclined to agree with this opinion. But for anyone who occasionally ventures out beyond the dragstrip, they just might have a different idea of what a Corvette can do.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

because i have opinion and because i disagree i got all of you freaking out and was able to succesfully make you hate me in a matter of an hour,,, beautiful,,,
dont you have some more bs mods to go put into your signature maybe it will make you faster.
get over it gtos are faster than your car, and his regal gs runs low 13s
Old 07-26-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I know right? Its a total coincidence that the Japanese cars they test always come out on top
And for some reason they always seem to race all the cars on the track at once instead of going for single times...
Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

irun: you have just helped my case not hurt it
an ls1 ... 1 and the ls 2 2222222 get the point camaros come with an ls1 and still beating the ls2 goat plus still the point i paid 9500 for my ss in great condition and that goat in same condition would be like 15,000, hense waste of money, but good atempt at steping in and showing me...
lol..yeah a gto might cost more,but it is also a better built car than a f-body.the ride quality aren't even comparable.

Quick Reply: Buick Regal vs Acura NSX