Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Procharged C6 vs Rx-7 (ls1, E/C/150 shot)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:58 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Procharged C6 vs Rx-7 (ls1, E/C/150 shot)

Here is a race that took place this weekend between a friend of mine and board member (DaytonaFIC6) vs ls1 FC. The vid has a typo as it is not a z06

C6-
ls2
Bassani cat-back
procharger d1sc ~8lbs
Made 505whp

Mazda rx7 FC-
ls1
full header back exhaust
cam
150 shot

Enjoy! It was a long trip to Mexico where the race took place!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw8JtvlvgbA

Matt
Old 10-13-2010, 02:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's actually just a little P1SC and only 7lbs, lol. Not that it makes much of a difference but 505 on 7psi sounds better than 505 on 8psi, haha. Anyways, I can't speak for the RX7 but I have heard the shot might be a little bigger than 150, but I can't confirm that. Thanks for posting the vid Matt.

Also, this race was a 55-140 if anyone cares.

Last edited by DaytonaFIC6; 10-13-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was a very close race. Love them!

Would have assumed- with good traction- that the RX7 being alot lighter with the same rwhp that it would have walked out a bit more. Guess the weights were closer than I thought... any idea on the RX7/LS1 weight?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
That was a very close race. Love them!

Would have assumed- with good traction- that the RX7 being alot lighter with the same rwhp that it would have walked out a bit more. Guess the weights were closer than I thought... any idea on the RX7/LS1 weight?
I don't know alot about the RX7 but it is definitely a fast car. I actually told people before I raced him that it would not be a race he is looking for since he wanted a car that would compete. I think the cool air helped my blower and it hurt his bottle pressure.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe that RX7 isn't that much lighter? The LS1/M6 setup has to be a fair amount heavier than the lightweight rotory engine and scrap metal trans they come with. Wikipedia shows a curb weight of 2830 for a stock RX7. Figure 200-300 more lbs for the swap and whatever other mods (roll cage? subframe connectors?) he has to make it work he is probably right around your weight. Throw in the longer wheel base making your car more stable and with a better rear weight bias and I guess he might just be lucky you didnt jump out on him.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DaytonaFIC6
I don't know alot about the RX7 but it is definitely a fast car. I actually told people before I raced him that it would not be a race he is looking for since he wanted a car that would compete. I think the cool air helped my blower and it hurt his bottle pressure.
Why are you keeping your car only at 500 hp?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was a pretty good race. I always take the "low bottle pressure" with a grain of salt, considering a local guy uses it whenever he loses (actually he's on here too ).
Old 10-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WSsick
That was a pretty good race. I always take the "low bottle pressure" with a grain of salt, considering a local guy uses it whenever he loses (actually he's on here too ).
Hey, now I got an excuse for when I hook my nitrous up.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

The V8 swaps in an RX7 weigh very close to the rotary. My LS2 FD RX7 weighs almost the same as it did when it had a rotary in it.

Of course if you add a cage or some other things then the wieght could be more.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Maybe that RX7 isn't that much lighter? The LS1/M6 setup has to be a fair amount heavier than the lightweight rotory engine and scrap metal trans they come with. Wikipedia shows a curb weight of 2830 for a stock RX7. Figure 200-300 more lbs for the swap and whatever other mods (roll cage? subframe connectors?) he has to make it work he is probably right around your weight. Throw in the longer wheel base making your car more stable and with a better rear weight bias and I guess he might just be lucky you didnt jump out on him.
Yeah the FC in the video weighs about ~2800lbs. No roll cage and it has tubular k member etc. obviously to complete the swap so it helps keep it about the same weight.

Originally Posted by mulalleybs
Why are you keeping your car only at 500 hp?
He isnt keeping it at 500? He just got the car this summer and he is getting married as well but that still hasnt stopped him haha he just bought longtubes for it.

Originally Posted by WSsick
Actually you would be pretty surprised how much different it is between bottle pressure. I'm not making excuses because obviously it is your fault if the bottle pressure isn't where it needs to be when you are going to race someone, But from personal experience 700psi compared to 1050psi is a huge difference as little as it sounds.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't doubt at all that it changes how the car hits. I am just saying, with a lot of guys its hard to tell whos BSing and who isn't about the low BP business, unless you check a gauge.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by F8L BYT
Yeah the FC in the video weighs about ~2800lbs. No roll cage and it has tubular k member etc. obviously to complete the swap so it helps keep it about the same weight.

He isnt keeping it at 500? He just got the car this summer and he is getting married as well but that still hasnt stopped him haha he just bought longtubes for it.

Actually you would be pretty surprised how much different it is between bottle pressure. I'm not making excuses because obviously it is your fault if the bottle pressure isn't where it needs to be when you are going to race someone, But from personal experience 700psi compared to 1050psi is a huge difference as little as it sounds.
What i meant by that was with a supercharger 600rwhp is extremely easy to get. I had it through stock exhaust and stock clutch. So I was thinking maybe he was trying to be "safe" but 600 is still safe.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

600 is not typical on an otherwise bone stock LS2. I am still running a 4.25 pulley on a P1 so it is still a relatively conservative setup. As for the power numbers it made 505 on a dyno that has shown as much as 30 whp less than other dynos with the same car. So its possible I could be making more power.As for the tune it is pretty safe I told my tuner that I wanna give this thing hell when I want and not worry about it lol.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

500ish rwhp is on par with average blower numbers on a bone stock LS2

Good race!
Old 10-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DaytonaFIC6
600 is not typical on an otherwise bone stock LS2. I am still running a 4.25 pulley on a P1 so it is still a relatively conservative setup. As for the power numbers it made 505 on a dyno that has shown as much as 30 whp less than other dynos with the same car. So its possible I could be making more power.As for the tune it is pretty safe I told my tuner that I wanna give this thing hell when I want and not worry about it lol.
haha sorry I bought all my stuff at once so I didn't do progressive dynoing, but you should up the boost a lil bit.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:57 AM

Great race! Your car looks great, man, gotta love a supercharged vette
Old 10-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Nice run, pulley down and add some meth.. He will have bigger issues than not having enough bottle pressure.