Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

stockish viper vs built GTR's

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's this for "low-end" torque? It's a '08 Viper.

470-ft-lbs of torque by 2250-rpms.

Last edited by LT/LS Guy; 01-05-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Killemall
Compareing a LS1 with mods and saying the car has 450 rwhp so its the same experiance as a srt10 is naieve...That would be like someone saying a 300 rwhp s2000 hits just as hard as a LS1..Hell no it dosent. Not even close...The LS1 will still have a much more violent feel than the s2000 in lower rpm's....Same applies here...You can get the same rwhp but the low end feel is still not comparable..Even the 427 ci feels a lil limp wristed honestly stock for stock...And a 427 ci is the biggest GM offers in sports cars...

Wish a few of you were close. Id give you a ride and let you decide for your self...let me know if you visit hawaii
Limp wristed? Couldn't you have come up with something better than limp wristed? Especially for a car that has beaten you time and again stock for stock and then stock vs. modded? While it isn't exactly as Torquey as the mighty viper it is still a car that was built to run and have fun in. Limp wristed? dude.. seriously.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RSKY
Limp wristed? Couldn't you have come up with something better than limp wristed? Especially for a car that has beaten you time and again stock for stock and then stock vs. modded? While it isn't exactly as Torquey as the mighty viper it is still a car that was built to run and have fun in. Limp wristed? dude.. seriously.
well he DOES have 80 more cubic inches. How did the 99 cobra engine feel vs the LS1 cars even though they were both close races? And that was a difference of only 65ci! so i wouldnt doubt a 427 feels limp wristed vs a 505
Old 01-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Teching In

I wouldn't know. I don't have a LS1 or a 99 cobra. But to call the z06 gay? come on man..
Old 01-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RSKY
I wouldn't know. I don't have a LS1 or a 99 cobra. But to call the z06 gay? come on man..
he didnt call the z06 gay, just that its power delivery is velvety smooth compared to the sledgehammer brute force of a large engine
Old 01-05-2011, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
well he DOES have 80 more cubic inches. How did the 99 cobra engine feel vs the LS1 cars even though they were both close races? And that was a difference of only 65ci! so i wouldnt doubt a 427 feels limp wristed vs a 505
To my recollection when I test drove one back in the beginning of '99 it felt slow as hell! That was before the recall though.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Teching In

he didnt call the z06 gay, just that its power delivery is velvety smooth compared to the sledgehammer brute force of a large engine
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...limp%20wristed

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/limp-wristed

And if you don't know what effeminate is,

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/effeminate

I understand not all of you graduated high school or College.

Before you use a term, look it up.

That's almost as bad as saying RWHP stands for Raw wheel horsepower instead of Rear wheel horsepower.

In a crude or unrefined state: nature in the raw.
Nude; naked.

That would mean that he's talking about uncorrected hp? when all he talks about is SAE corrected. Just bringing the knowledge, as describing my car as limp wristed offends me as I would call you limp wristed would offend you.. if your not gay.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

wow..lotta torque talk..

Look. Ive had the h/c 342 ci..yea it was 380 rwhp with a 2.73 rear end and 3280 pounds...on paper it should have been just as fast as my stock 1999 488 ci viper with 400 rwhp and 3390 pounds...

But c'mon we all no better than anyone that their is no replacement for displacement..

My H/C LS1 had 380 rwt and my stock 1999 Viper had 465 rwt. The way they delivered the power was night and day..Cubic inches make a massive differance despite the final numbers and the stock viper out trapped my C5 by 5 mph both driven by me.

With my current viper at 8.3 litres and 505 cubic inches. That 512 rwt may seem like nothing. but the way the power is delivered from that huge engine is the flattest torque curve in the buisness of production engines.

You can put a 408 stroker in with h/c and maybey hit the same 512 rwt I have..But the delivery of the torque will still not be the same...

Now that 533 ci up above..Thats what it takes for a similar experiance..

Please before you post any more go rent even a 1996 GTS viper and drive it for a day..Some of you comment who hav never even sat in one let alone drove one...

Compareing a LS1 with mods and saying the car has 450 rwhp so its the same experiance as a srt10 is naieve...That would be like someone saying a 300 rwhp s2000 hits just as hard as a LS1..Hell no it dosent. Not even close...The LS1 will still have a much more violent feel than the s2000 in lower rpm's....Same applies here...You can get the same rwhp but the low end feel is still not comparable..Even the 427 ci feels a lil limp wristed honestly stock for stock...And a 427 ci is the biggest GM offers in sports cars...

Wish a few of you were close. Id give you a ride and let you decide for your self...let me know if you visit hawaii
Pssst, I've driven a couple of Vipers and I have driven and owned cars that made more torque and horsepower than a Viper. No one gives a **** what a stock Viper makes for power and I for one am not impressed with them. They are cool for what they are but they aren't the end all of performance cars. What makes you think that anyone with a functioning brain would get in a car with you?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Pssst, I've driven a couple of Vipers and I have driven and owned cars that made more torque and horsepower than a Viper. No one gives a **** what a stock Viper makes for power and I for one am not impressed with them. They are cool for what they are but they aren't the end all of performance cars. What makes you think that anyone with a functioning brain would get in a car with you?
Curious. What is not impressive (to you) about a Gen 4 Viper? Or are you talking about the old Vipers from the early '90's?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
How's this for "low-end" torque? It's a '08 Viper.

470-ft-lbs of torque by 2250-rpms.

Sheeet! That's ridiculous for a N/A car with no cats and a cat-back as it's only mods. Anyone who can't respect power and torque like that from a stock car is either A) a hater, B) clueless or C) a plain freakin' hater.

I wonder how many people in this entire thread have a car that puts down numbers like that? hmmmmm....
Old 01-05-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Curious. What is not impressive (to you) about a Gen 4 Viper? Or are you talking about the old Vipers from the early '90's?
I don't like the way they feel when you are pushing them. To me it seems the steering doesn't give much feedback of what the car is doing and is about to do. You can fix it with throttle but I think the steering could be better. The ones I drove were twitchy and crashed over imperfections instead of absorbing and them giving the car a solid glued down feel. They sound like **** and don't look that great to me. They make some good power numbers but damn with that many cubes they should. Its not all that impressive. With people like crashemall thinking they are Gods gift to the car world just adds to my dislike. I've considered buying one but I'm worried my dick would shrink and I'd becaome an idiot. The gen 4 is definitely a big improvement over the early ones but I think they could still fix a few things and make the car a lot better. I am in no way saying they need to add electronics or other nannies to the car though, just refine it.

Originally Posted by m_liel
Sheeet! That's ridiculous for a N/A car with no cats and a cat-back as it's only mods. Anyone who can't respect power and torque like that from a stock car is either A) a hater, B) clueless or C) a plain freakin' hater.

I wonder how many people in this entire thread have a car that puts down numbers like that? hmmmmm....
My daily driver makes 650 ft-lbs at 2000 RPM.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

I don't like the way they feel when you are pushing them. To me it seems the steering doesn't give much feedback of what the car is doing and is about to do. You can fix it with throttle but I think the steering could be better. The ones I drove were twitchy and crashed over imperfections instead of absorbing and them giving the car a solid glued down feel. They sound like **** and don't look that great to me. They make some good power numbers but damn with that many cubes they should. Its not all that impressive. With people like crashemall thinking they are Gods gift to the car world just adds to my dislike. I've considered buying one but I'm worried my dick would shrink and I'd becaome an idiot. The gen 4 is definitely a big improvement over the early ones but I think they could still fix a few things and make the car a lot better. I am in no way saying they need to add electronics or other nannies to the car though, just refine it.
I've driven a 1992 RT/10 and 2008 SRT-10. The '92 was awesome as hell imo and the closest thing to an actual race car you could have gotten on the streets back then. I remember the breaks being a little notchy but then what can you expect with no ABS. The Viper is not for the novice driver nor for anyone looking for comfort as their main interest. You have to know what your doing when driving one of those things, that's a big reason why a lot of them get wrecked. The biggest complaint I had with that car was the plastic velcro'd on windows it came with. When it rained they often leaked a little. The numbers they put up (on a road course) dominated for many years. And the torque from that 488 V10 was just nasty for back in those days.

Now the '08 I had the pleasure of driving was just a monster. Didn't get a chance to take it around the curves but the straightline acceleration was more than enough for me. The torque they make down low/mid-range is unrealistic. I would love to own one when they get a little cheaper.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Point is don't let crashemall take away from the fact the Viper is a fantastic car like the Corvette and FGT.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Point is don't let crashemall take away from the fact the Viper is a fantastic car like the Corvette and FGT.
I'll quote this one since it is shorter. I wouldn't consider myself a novice driver and comfort and a sports car is usually not uttered in the same sentence. No one influences my likes and dislikes except my own experience. I haven't had the opportunity to drive a FGT but I am sure it is a stellar automobile. The Viper is a great performance car but it could be better. If they would take the time and effort to do it, the problem is cost. They want to keep it at a certain price point and with that the old saying "you can't have your cake and eat it too" comes into play. So it and the Corvette while great performers and cool cars will always lag behind a little in some areas due to the manufacturer choosing, with great success I might add, to keep the price lower and give people 95 to 98%% of what the car could be.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

I'll quote this one since it is shorter. I wouldn't consider myself a novice driver and comfort and a sports car is usually not uttered in the same sentence. No one influences my likes and dislikes except my own experience. I haven't had the opportunity to drive a FGT but I am sure it is a stellar automobile. The Viper is a great performance car but it could be better. If they would take the time and effort to do it, the problem is cost. They want to keep it at a certain price point and with that the old saying "you can't have your cake and eat it too" comes into play. So it and the Corvette while great performers and cool cars will always lag behind a little in some areas due to the manufacturer choosing, with great success I might add, to keep the price lower and give people 95 to 98%% of what the car could be.
I see your point but the numbers have always indicated otherwise. From 1992-2002 the Viper has usually came out on top in every all-out perfomance test, from 0-60 and quarter-mile to skidpad, slalom and braking tests to dominating the 24 hrs of Le Mans. Only until 2005 with the FGT it was the fastest American production car you could buy. I think Chrysler's sole purpose for that car was to be an all out performer and nothing more, and if that's the case they did a hell of a job.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

this dude is just a complete idiot. i cant read any more of this after 4 pages. sorry if i missed out on anything else my bad but its to much stupidity for one day. reading all of killamall attempt at trying to give the illusion he has won races to make himself feel better about spending so much on such a slow car for what ever the price he did spend on it.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

theres nothing wrong with liking large cars. Besides, you own a third gen you have no room to speak on how ugly you think another car is. I think your dashboard might need more duct tape before it falls off again

and with that being said, what insight exactly are you talking about???? i simply asked if 450rwhp is THAT difficult to control with such massive tires. apparently its the off idle torque, i thought he crashed his cars doing roll races.
There's nothing wrong with liking big women either, too each their own

BTW, I didn't think those cars could be make to look decent but your looks pretty sick What's it put down or run?

I have trouble putting down 400rwtq to the ground on street tires 295/35/18. Couldn't imagine trying to put down over 500rwtq in a Viper on street tires (even with wide tires) or even the power of a fast reving 427 C6Z06.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
There's nothing wrong with liking big women either, too each their own

BTW, I didn't think those cars could be make to look decent but your looks pretty sick What's it put down or run?

I have trouble putting down 400rwtq to the ground on street tires 295/35/18. Couldn't imagine trying to put down over 500rwtq in a Viper on street tires (even with wide tires) or even the power of a fast reving 427 C6Z06.
thanks.Its just a street build with TFS street heads and solid roller. I havent ran it at the track yet because it still needs a roll bar. i took it to a local dude to tune but it turned out he didnt know wtf he was doing or how to work on carbs.when i picked it up from him;

The a/f ratio was 14.8

he stopped all the runs at 5500rpm with the power still climbing (my cam 260/269@.05 should make power to 6500rpm).

left the timing @ 10degrees lower (20 degrees instead of 30) than its supposed to be at.

even with that it made 513rwhp@5500 and 540rwtq@3600-4300rpm.
all the dude did was mess with jets. I learned how to work on the carb myself and got a wideband and its where its supposed to be now but im waiting for a local dyno day cuz i dont feel like spending $175

im not a chubby chaser
Old 01-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Damn RSKY....My bad..Didnt mean it in that way...But i see what you are saying..Limp wristed is the wrong term and sorry if I offended you...

Not talking about HP..Your HP and weight is a sick combo..as well as the 7000 rpm redline..While I think I did quite honorable for a 480 rwhp viper vs 500 rwhp Z06 being a car back or that one seriies of 12 pretty much door to door. Your car was the slightly faster car and a win is a win..

I was referring to the low end feel. In stock form it was disapointing in comparison to the low grunt Im used to..Of course our back to back dyno showed I had about 60 more rwt and it started at much lower rpm's..So this explains that..

Again my apologies on the limp wristed statement. didnt mean it like that...The one guy with the boat nailed it on the head..velvety smooth vs brutal...scalpling knife vs sledge hammer...You get the drift
Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Damn RSKY....My bad..Didnt mean it in that way...But i see what you are saying..Limp wristed is the wrong term and sorry if I offended you...

Not talking about HP..Your HP and weight is a sick combo..as well as the 7000 rpm redline..While I think I did quite honorable for a 480 rwhp viper vs 500 rwhp Z06 being a car back or that one seriies of 12 pretty much door to door. Your car was the slightly faster car and a win is a win..

I was referring to the low end feel. In stock form it was disapointing in comparison to the low grunt Im used to..Of course our back to back dyno showed I had about 60 more rwt and it started at much lower rpm's..So this explains that..

Again my apologies on the limp wristed statement. didnt mean it like that...The one guy with the boat nailed it on the head..velvety smooth vs brutal...scalpling knife vs sledge hammer...You get the drift

I get it. The viper is a put you in your seat oh **** torque from down low. I have felt the power and I know what you are talking about. I am patiently awaiting the newly REborn viper and hope we can have a rematch along with a rematch with NOOB/GTR. I promise it'll be some good footage for sure!

Quick Reply: stockish viper vs built GTR's