Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
Says the guy with the boat....
Originally Posted by MauriSSio
Says the guy with the souped up $200 1983 mulletmobile. What does the size of my car have tO do with anything?
Aw c'mon you two, you both have cool rides-let's stay focused on that raw-horse-wheel thing!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Id hate to see killemall drive a car with nitrous, all that instant raw wheel torque would surely push the car directly into a guard rail.
You can't build a nitrous car that has more raw wheel torque than his V10 American exotic Viper. with that ****
Old 01-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Today's lesson from crashemall. Torque sucks for street racing even though torque is what gets a car moving and horsepower is a function of torque and RPM. WTF doesn't even begin to question that post. I am now completely convinced you don't know what the **** you are talking about. You crashed two Vipers because you can't drive not because of some magical and overwhelming torque. Damn. Get a damn grip and learn some **** before you attack another keyboard with your idiocy.
To be fair, low end torque is pretty useless in street racing. You want a decent amount of torque at higher RPM (guess what HORSEPOWER is?) to be faster.

A good high RPM horsepower (torque + RPM) curve is ALWAYS more important than a good low RPM torque (just torque) curve for racing. The faster your engine is spinning, the more times it can reproduce that torque in a certain amount of time (provided your engine flows well enough to make the torque at high RPM).
Old 01-04-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I am guessing you are refering to roll racing, at least I hope you are. Roll racing isn't the only way to get down and when I actively street raced it didn't happen that often. Torque is still relevent even in roll racing unless you are doing high mph rolls.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
To be fair, low end torque is pretty useless in street racing. You want a decent amount of torque at higher RPM (guess what HORSEPOWER is?) to be faster.

A good high RPM horsepower (torque + RPM) curve is ALWAYS more important than a good low RPM torque (just torque) curve for racing. The faster your engine is spinning, the more times it can reproduce that torque in a certain amount of time (provided your engine flows well enough to make the torque at high RPM).
It depends on the complete setup of the car. Mainly motor and gearing of the transmission and rear. Look at the C6 Z06, it has long gears but has alot of torque. Same thing with the 03/04 Cobra. But then look at a Ferrari. No ***** down low but is geared to hell. Same thing with most 4 cylinders.

I would honestly rather stay in gears longer while making power than be constantly grabbing for gears. Sadly all of my cars are gears to the moon. Oh well, if you can't make more power than the LS1's atleast you can out gear them
Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 PM
***Repost Police***

No matter what, torque (read; power) at the higher rpms is what it's about. Even with drag racing, your car is almost never at low rpms. The Z06 has great torque down low, but also has fantastic power up top.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was making the assumption that the car was set up properly for its intended task.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
No matter what, torque (read; power) at the higher rpms is what it's about. Even with drag racing, your car is almost never at low rpms. The Z06 has great torque down low, but also has fantastic power up top.
Again...it depends. A bolt on Mach 1 is going to be short shifting to stay in its powerband. So is a HCI stock uncut piston 5.0.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:34 PM
***Repost Police***

Yep. And if you want to go faster than bolt-ons (like heads/cams), it's going to shift the powerband higher in the rpm range. A car is more useful if it can make use of the upper ranges of its rpm capability.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yep but IF the car can make close to the same amount of power down low that it does up top it will be faster.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:41 PM
***Repost Police***

Well of course a broad powerband always helps. But "low rpm" torque isn't what does it. It's midrange.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

I agree
Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Says the guy with the souped up $200 1983 mulletmobile. What does the size of my car have tO do with anything?
Lack of power and weight leads me to believe that you have no problem putting power down. An underpowered convertible Titanic owner giving us insight about a V10 not being able to put “raw wheel horsepower and raw wheel torque” to the pavement . I’m just saying, putting down 200rwhp & 250rwtq in a 3 ton boat is easier than putting down 500rwhp & 500rwtq in 3300lbs sports car.

I'm really jealous, let me know if you ever want to sell it

I agree, my mullet mobile is a money pit should have just bought a cute yellow convertible 2V mustang.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe the original point was the amount of torque not where it occurs. We can what if it to death but the fact remains if your engine doesn't make good torque its probably not going to make good power unless you spin the **** out of it. Most people aren't going to build a street car, with a v8 anyway, that has to spin past 7500 rpm to make power.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:56 PM
***Repost Police***

Lack of power and weight leads me to believe that you have no problem putting power down. An underpowered convertible Titanic owner giving us insight about a V10 not being able to put “raw wheel horsepower and raw wheel torque” to the pavement . I’m just saying, putting down 200rwhp & 250rwtq in a 3 ton boat is easier than putting down 500rwhp & 500rwtq in 3300lbs sports car.
I'm not going to jump to conclusions about his car (like you), but I imagine his car makes a pretty good amount of torque/power as well, based on this post from another thread...
i agree, i have cutouts on my galaxie but never open them on the street. Theyre way too "look at me" loud and only should be used on a track or seriously fast car. They might also be extremely loud because the size of my engine (533ci) cuz ive had cutouts before but dont remember them being this abnoxious.
Probably does pretty well. That's an ~8.6l V8, which obviously isn't stock.
Originally Posted by The Manalishi
I believe the original point was the amount of torque not where it occurs. We can what if it to death but the fact remains if your engine doesn't make good torque its probably not going to make good power unless you spin the **** out of it. Most people aren't going to build a street car, with a v8 anyway, that has to spin past 7500 rpm to make power.
Usually, no. But I'm sure the new 5.0 Mustangs are going to be running around that rpm once aftermarket heads/cams combos start popping up.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I'm not going to jump to conclusions about his car (like you), but I imagine his car makes a pretty good amount of torque/power as well, based on this post from another thread...

Probably does pretty well. That's an ~8.6l V8, which obviously isn't stock.
Didn't want to go through his post to stalk him, so thanks for the info. You win, but its still a Titanic and uglier than a 74 Mustang.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:03 AM
***Repost Police***

I read the threads, what can I say? And your car is very nice, but don't get cocky.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Id hate to see killemall drive a car with nitrous, all that instant raw wheel torque would surely push the car directly into a guard rail.
glad i read his before i posted cuz u read my mind.

i make 410 n/a and just installed a 110 shot over winter.
im on 275 drag radials and im not a bit worried, im gona drive it like i stole it this summer

be ready for my raw wheel horsepower races this summer
Old 01-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Didn't want to go through his post to stalk him, so thanks for the info. You win, but its still a Titanic and uglier than a 74 Mustang.
theres nothing wrong with liking large cars. Besides, you own a third gen you have no room to speak on how ugly you think another car is. I think your dashboard might need more duct tape before it falls off again

and with that being said, what insight exactly are you talking about???? i simply asked if 450rwhp is THAT difficult to control with such massive tires. apparently its the off idle torque, i thought he crashed his cars doing roll races.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Launching!

wow..lotta torque talk..

Look. Ive had the h/c 342 ci..yea it was 380 rwhp with a 2.73 rear end and 3280 pounds...on paper it should have been just as fast as my stock 1999 488 ci viper with 400 rwhp and 3390 pounds...

But c'mon we all no better than anyone that their is no replacement for displacement..

My H/C LS1 had 380 rwt and my stock 1999 Viper had 465 rwt. The way they delivered the power was night and day..Cubic inches make a massive differance despite the final numbers and the stock viper out trapped my C5 by 5 mph both driven by me.

With my current viper at 8.3 litres and 505 cubic inches. That 512 rwt may seem like nothing. but the way the power is delivered from that huge engine is the flattest torque curve in the buisness of production engines.

You can put a 408 stroker in with h/c and maybey hit the same 512 rwt I have..But the delivery of the torque will still not be the same...

Now that 533 ci up above..Thats what it takes for a similar experiance..

Please before you post any more go rent even a 1996 GTS viper and drive it for a day..Some of you comment who hav never even sat in one let alone drove one...

Compareing a LS1 with mods and saying the car has 450 rwhp so its the same experiance as a srt10 is naieve...That would be like someone saying a 300 rwhp s2000 hits just as hard as a LS1..Hell no it dosent. Not even close...The LS1 will still have a much more violent feel than the s2000 in lower rpm's....Same applies here...You can get the same rwhp but the low end feel is still not comparable..Even the 427 ci feels a lil limp wristed honestly stock for stock...And a 427 ci is the biggest GM offers in sports cars...

Wish a few of you were close. Id give you a ride and let you decide for your self...let me know if you visit hawaii

Quick Reply: stockish viper vs built GTR's