Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

cam only vs cams only

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Trav's_TransAm
I know a tuner who put down 398 in his '08 vette tune only. I think it would gain more than 30 hp with bolt-ons.
wow. not being a smart ***, but i made exactly those numbers with a tune and off road x-pipe only. ls3 and coyote are neck and neck.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice kill man.
Video was not that great though and could not really see to much. Needed just a little more info or a better video. You can basically say anything you want about the race but there is not enough information there to even make a debate.
But it was a good kill.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by assasinator
wow. not being a smart ***, but i made exactly those numbers with a tune and off road x-pipe only. ls3 and coyote are neck and neck.
Theres no way to bench race dyno numbers without comparing the density altitude.

A 400rwhp engine dyno'd in AZ @ +2,000ft DA could change into a 430+rwhp engine dyno'd in New Jersey @ -1,500ft DA.

People are getting more and more hip to the DA scheme as far as E.Ts but most of the time they forget about how it directly effects dyno numbers just the same.

Im not saying a Coyote cant compete with an LS3. Im saying that without DA relevance (the closest thing we have to running a same place, same day, same time, same condition test between to given cars or engines that physically cant run side by side), its a crap shoot that cant be based in fact.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolAid
Theres no way to bench race dyno numbers without comparing the density altitude.

A 400rwhp engine dyno'd in AZ @ +2,000ft DA could change into a 430+rwhp engine dyno'd in New Jersey @ -1,500ft DA.

People are getting more and more hip to the DA scheme as far as E.Ts but most of the time they forget about how it directly effects dyno numbers just the same.

Im not saying a Coyote cant compete with an LS3. Im saying that without DA relevance (the closest thing we have to running a same place, same day, same time, same condition test between to given cars or engines that physically cant run side by side), its a crap shoot that cant be based in fact.
i know.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

i know.
I know you do from reading your posts at Goat board, but I still have to put it down in print and attempt to educate the bench racers that take everything anyone says as gospel such as "X car or engine is equal to or better than X car that is thousands of miles away under different conditions bro!"
Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Launching!

livernoise motorsports has both cars and the mustang is faster and dynoed higher than their Ls3 camaro . Some of you guys just refuse to accept the facts it seems.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Im not saying a Coyote cant compete with an LS3.
Originally Posted by MauriSSio
Some of you guys just refuse to accept the facts it seems.
Fail.

Even so. Boo ******* hoo that a HOST of Ford swingers cant come over to this site and force GM guys to march for the other team.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Fail.

Even so. Boo ******* hoo that a HOST of Ford swingers cant come over to this site and force GM guys to march for the other team.
quit crying and being so melodramatic, there are no teams.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

quit crying and being so melodramatic, there are no teams.
There have been teams since the late 40s ever since people started lining up cars mainstream. Nobody is crying except the recent influx of Ford owners demanding that we bow to the first respectable, affordable car they've had in decades.

People here recognize the 5.0. Were just not as impressed as you guys because 400HP in an affordable midsize 2 door is so 6 years ago for GM.

ZOMG it runs 12s and 11s with mods? Once again.........old news.

Does it deserve respect? Yes. Does it deserve worship? Not by us it doesnt.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

There have been teams since the late 40s ever since people started lining up cars mainstream. Nobody is crying except the recent influx of Ford owners demanding that we bow to the first respectable, affordable car they've had in decades.

People here recognize the 5.0. Were just not as impressed as you guys because 400HP in an affordable midsize 2 door is so 6 years ago for GM.

What he said.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Agreed, stock for stock they are pretty much the same (with the LS3 just a lil higher, i mean it is rated for 13hp more), but with bolt-ons they stay neck to neck.

livernoise motorsports has both cars and the mustang is faster and dynoed higher than their Ls3 camaro . Some of you guys just refuse to accept the facts it seems.
What facts? Maybe that they are pretty much even when it comes to stock and bolt-ons? Those are the only facts, anything more than bolt-ons and the LS3 wins.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jeffreycastgsx
Agreed, stock for stock they are pretty much the same (with the LS3 just a lil higher, i mean it is rated for 13hp more), but with bolt-ons they stay neck to neck.

What facts? Maybe that they are pretty much even when it comes to stock and bolt-ons? Those are the only facts, anything more than bolt-ons and the LS3 wins.
pretty much even means the Mustang is pretty much faster.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 PM
***Repost Police***

How do you know? Far as I know, no heads/cams numbers are out for the Coyote yet. Speculation is masturbation.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Launching!

there you go with your over damatizations again. I dont care what you consider a team or not. I sure as hell dont consider Ford my team if they aint giving me free ****.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:43 PM
***Repost Police***

Pretty much. I've owned two Mustangs, but that does NOT mean that I like them just because they are Mustangs. In general, I am not a fan of Ford.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

pretty much even means the Mustang is pretty much faster.
Yes it is, but a Camaro from a roll will pull on a GT. More weight, longer gearing, 20's, and IRS do not help the Camaro launch but they dont play as much a role as when your already moving.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
How do you know? Far as I know, no heads/cams numbers are out for the Coyote yet. Speculation is masturbation.

oh didnt you know? "The Mustang 5.0 comes already maxxed out from the factory"......LOL
Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Irunelevens

We've already gone over this, right? 5.0 has better heads stock, higher compression, AGGRESIVE VCT setup, shorty headers stock, annd revs higher and the LS3 still outputs more hp stock. Displacement has a LOT to do with it, and so does aftermarket. Apples to apples the bigger WILL ALWAYS make more power naturally aspirated, and thats a FACT, not a speculation. The 5.0 is gonna need some ridonkulous cams, over the moon compression, and rev to 8 grand, to make the same power as a cam-only LS3, that is speculation.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

oh didnt you know? "The Mustang 5.0 comes already maxxed out from the factory"......LOL
No its just really de-tuned from the factory.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Banned

Yes it is, but a Camaro from a roll will pull on a GT. More weight, longer gearing, 20's, and IRS do not help the Camaro launch but they dont play as much a role as when your already moving.
WRONG