Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

01Z28 Kills 08 SRT8 Charger

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011 | 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 01Z28 Kills 08 SRT8 Charger

I just purchased an 01 Z28 A4 3.23 w/ 160,000 miles. Car is bone stock down to paper filter, stock cats, and 3 year old 245/50-16 street tires and is full weight leather and t-top car. Plan on taking it to track soon and get a baseline before mods start. Car feels really strong for bone stock. it was owned by and older lady and has been babied. A buddy of mine just purchased a 2008 SRT8 Charger so we decided to try them out.

1st run went on his 3rd honk and pulled him 1-2 off the line and another 2-3 in 3rd gear for a total of 5-6 car lengths up to about 110 mph. Good launch for both of us with just slight wheel spin.

2nd run we went on my honk and same thing 1-2 off the line and a total of 5-6 car lengths.

I was not surprised that I got him off the line but was totally surprised that he did not pull me on the big end and that my car pulled away from his. The worst I have ever seen one of those cars trap stock down here is 108 mph. I rode in his car after and it seems to be running really good and pulls very strong . I must have a complete factory freak or something. I have been racing over 20 years and seat of the pants I was thinking my car is probably a 13.20 -13.40 car. After this I'm thinking the same , but, maybe it will trap a little higher than the normal 104 -105 for a stock one down here. Can't wait to get ot the track to find out.
Old 02-03-2011 | 10:32 AM
Teching In

Very nice kill
Old 02-03-2011 | 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good kill op, those SRT Chargers are fast nice to see with that many miles and bone stock your still able to pull easily. Let us know what happens at the track.
Old 02-03-2011 | 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Killer5.3
I was not surprised that I got him off the line but was totally surprised that he did not pull me on the big end and that my car pulled away from his.
Dont be too surprised. When you put a couple cars on someone off the line, its hard to make up. Even if a faster car is chasing you. Especially heavy cars running lighter cars. The faster you go, the more that SRT8s weight becomes a detriment to him and its not like your going any slower as you move forward.

Good first kill with the new car. Stay safe.
Old 02-03-2011 | 11:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CoolAid
Dont be too surprised. When you put a couple cars on someone off the line, its hard to make up. Even if a faster car is chasing you. Especially heavy cars running lighter cars. The faster you go, the more that SRT8s weight becomes a detriment to him and its not like your going any slower as you move forward.

+1 i agree. Good kill though!
Old 02-03-2011 | 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea I agree that is hard to catch up if someone gets a considerable jump on the start but he was not gaining any even at the finish. He didn't stop my pull on him at all. He said I was still inching ahead even at the finish which means either my car traps exceptionally well for a stock one or his bad for an SRT8. I did ride in his though and it seemed to be a really strong car too. I will definitely let yall know how mine does at the track. I am very anxious to see myself. Thanks for the props guys.
Old 02-03-2011 | 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Good kill but I wouldn't count it as the norm. Sounds like the SRT needs a driver mod to find where the cars strengths are.

Trending Topics

Old 02-03-2011 | 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ****** srt8
Good kill but I wouldn't count it as the norm. Sounds like the SRT needs a driver mod to find where the cars strengths are.
He ran the first pass with traction control on and then I told him to turn it off thinking that may have slowed him down, but, the 2nd race with it off was very slight wheel spin for both of us. Thing is I thought that he would pull back on me in my 3rd gear because of what they normally trap but I continued to pull away. Driver has no bearing after launch, shifts are computer controlled. I rode with him afterwards for a couple of passes and his launch wasn't bad and it was hittin shifts and pulling like a freight train on the big end. We are going to take both to the track soon and see whats up for sure. I have had alot of vehicles over the years and have a pretty good gauge by sotp feel to know that his car seems to be up to par to run low 13's and prob trap 107 - 108+. That is what most SRT8 vehicles trap down here stock. I know there are some that trap 109 -110 + in mineshaft air , but, we don't have that in Ms. What does your car usually run with current mods and what did it run stock?
Old 02-04-2011 | 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ****** srt8
I agree! I don't see a STOCK A4 LS1 beating a stock SRT8. Good kill though
Old 02-04-2011 | 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

Dont be so caught up in traps if its a race over a 1/4 mile from a dig. I dont know whats so hard to understand about Car A weighing about 3,500 empty and Car B weighing 4,000+ empty. The Camaro is doing what, like 285-300whp and the Charger is around 350? In ricer math language its going to take all of the 50hp just to offset the weight so if you pulled him off the line and the distance eventually froze up it seems entirely believable.

IMO the Chargers only chance is to get that car off the line harder and use its torque when it matters because by the time your past the 1/8th that flyweight Camaro is going to remain out in front unless the SRT finds some hidden HP somewhere.

Old 02-04-2011 | 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Good kill op.. I've always wanted to try my luck with an srt8..
Old 02-04-2011 | 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

1st run went on his 3rd honk and pulled him 1-2 off the line and another 2-3 in 3rd gear for a total of 5-6 car lengths up to about 110 mph. Good launch for both of us with just slight wheel spin.

2nd run we went on my honk and same thing 1-2 off the line and a total of 5-6 car lengths.
That's a serious beat-down. I wonder what's wrong with his car and your's is particularly strong. I suspect something has been done to yours.

Both of you need to go to the track and dyno. I can't imagine heat soak being that bad on it.

The faster you go, the more that SRT8s weight becomes a detriment to him
Not according to physics.

He ran the first pass with traction control on and then I told him to turn it off thinking that may have slowed him down, but, the 2nd race with it off was very slight wheel spin for both of us. Thing is I thought that he would pull back on me in my 3rd gear because of what they normally trap but I continued to pull away. Driver has no bearing after launch, shifts are computer controlled. I rode with him afterwards for a couple of passes and his launch wasn't bad and it was hittin shifts and pulling like a freight train on the big end. We are going to take both to the track soon and see whats up for sure. I have had alot of vehicles over the years and have a pretty good gauge by sotp feel to know that his car seems to be up to par to run low 13's and prob trap 107 - 108+. That is what most SRT8 vehicles trap down here stock. I know there are some that trap 109 -110 + in mineshaft air , but, we don't have that in Ms. What does your car usually run with current mods and what did it run stock?
If he doesn't shift himself and ESP full/partially off, he did everything right. My car ran a worst of 13.3 @ 103.5 with a 2.0 60ft bone stock, heat soaked, head wind and humid (Sears Point). On a warm day with I/E/T, 12.71 @ 111mph. In good air others have ran 12.6s @ 113-114mph with 400+ rwhp.

Dont be so caught up in traps if its a race over a 1/4 mile from a dig. I dont know whats so hard to understand about Car A weighing about 3,500 empty and Car B weighing 4,000+ empty. The Camaro is doing what, like 285-300whp and the Charger is around 350?

IMO the Chargers only chance is to get that car off the line harder and use its torque when it matters because by the time your past the 1/8th that flyweight Camaro is going to remain out in front unless the SRT finds some hidden HP somewhere.
350 on a dynojet. 360 to 375 stock, in 3rd gear....

Also 3rd gear above 85mph (at/after the 1/8th) the SRT-8 is in the meat of the powerband to 120mph and pulls quite nicely with 425hp (rated, stock).

If heat soaked it should have been a driver's race. OPs car runs like he's making 330rwhp+.
Old 02-04-2011 | 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Im putting down similar power to you (I estimate 415-430, havent been on a dyno) and yet Im a full second faster and 5mph faster than you with one less gear in the tranny and yet you think weight and physics didnt have a big role in this and that physics favors the SRT8?

Just laying out an example here.
Old 02-04-2011 | 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
That's a serious beat-down. I wonder what's wrong with his car and your's is particularly strong. I suspect something has been done to yours.

Both of you need to go to the track and dyno. I can't imagine heat soak being that bad on it.

Not according to physics.

If he doesn't shift himself and ESP full/partially off, he did everything right. My car ran a worst of 13.3 @ 103.5 with a 2.0 60ft bone stock, heat soaked, head wind and humid (Sears Point). On a warm day with I/E/T, 12.71 @ 111mph. In good air others have ran 12.6s @ 113-114mph with 400+ rwhp.

350 on a dynojet. 360 to 375 stock, in 3rd gear....

Also 3rd gear above 85mph (at/after the 1/8th) the SRT-8 is in the meat of the powerband to 120mph and pulls quite nicely with 425hp (rated, stock).

If heat soaked it should have been a driver's race. OPs car runs like he's making 330rwhp+.

I can assure you the car is bone stock down to the paper filter , stock cats etc. It was owned by an older lady and was babied. I don't think it would dyno that high but I have heard of a few dynoing 300+ stock. It is still on the stock tranny even and shifts like a dream. I can assure you I was surprised as well. I had a friend that bought an 01 Z28 new with 2.73 gears and it ran 13.50 @105 stock on factory tires. Not really sure how much the 3.23 gears may be worth. I am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with his vehicle. We did drive about 2 miles to where we raced so both vehicles had some heat soak. How accurate are the factory performance meters in those SRT's? He said it showed 13.60 on the pass with the traction control on and 13.50 with it off. I will definitely let yall know mine runs when I get it to the track.

Last edited by Killer5.3; 02-04-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2011 | 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

I thought it was the other way around, heavier cars are harder to get moving but once they do the weight isnt as big of a factor and its more of a horsepower thing.
Old 02-04-2011 | 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
I agree! I don't see a STOCK A4 LS1 beating a stock SRT8. Good kill though
I hung door to door with an SRT8 Charger when I was bone stock, he had a passenger and got the hit, but I was ready. Stayed even until almost like 140.
Old 02-04-2011 | 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
I thought it was the other way around, heavier cars are harder to get moving but once they do the weight isnt as big of a factor and its more of a horsepower thing.
Isnt as big as launch, but still very present. One of the reasons 470rwhp Vettes like to eat up 550+rwhp Terms in those high roll videos.

If weight didnt matter once rolling the Euro supercars wouldnt be so concerned with aluminum frames, carbon bodies....etc. Their emphasis is not on launch but more high speed.

Picture two cars with same gearing, same HP, same everything except weight. Its going to be easier for, say 350whp to move 3,000 pounds up to top speed than it is for that same power to bring 4,000 pounds up to top speed. Horsepower only matters more when it has more weight to push forward. Less weight requires less HP to go fast. Dig or Roll. Go ask that guy with the basically modded LS1 Miata about it whos thread is a few under this one.

If weight wasnt a big factor, my 450whp, 1,800ft lb of torque Kenworth would be a nightmare from a 40 roll.

Just my 2 cents. Im not seeing SRT8 raping LS1 Camaros and when the LS1 Camaro wins I'm not as shocked as some may be.
Old 02-04-2011 | 01:39 PM
Banned

lol go post this on the lx forum and you will be banned for lieing. lol
Old 02-04-2011 | 01:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
...If he doesn't shift himself and ESP full/partially off, he did everything right. My car ran a worst of 13.3 @ 103.5 with a 2.0 60ft bone stock, heat soaked, head wind and humid (Sears Point). On a warm day with I/E/T, 12.71 @ 111mph. In good air others have ran 12.6s @ 113-114mph with 400+ rwhp....
i agree that the Charger SHOULD be the faster car.
also, Im not sure whats up with the air at Sears Point but 2 out of the 3 times i been there, cars were trapping abnormally slow. LT1's in the 94-96mph range and LS1's running 100-102mph with light boltons even though DA was pretty damned good (not bad at least).
Old 02-04-2011 | 01:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WSsick
I hung door to door with an SRT8 Charger when I was bone stock, he had a passenger and got the hit, but I was ready. Stayed even until almost like 140.
sounds about right for a 6 speed f-body with 1 less passenger. I think something may be wrong with the charger in the OP's race, or who knows ive heard of crazier things happening on the street.