Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Me vs E39 M5, E39 5-series, & LS1 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Me vs E39 M5, E39 5-series, & LS1 Trans Am

This past Friday night I took my car for a spin looking for some fun. I'm on the freeway and I pass a 5-series BMW. After I pass him he decides to do a fly by so I catch up to him and line em up. We hit it and I beat him (no big deal). Right after I beat him I see a silver M5 right in front of me and he must've known what kinda car I was in because he just hits it and I play catch up. As I was shifting to 4th I made a big mistake and went to 2nd. I don't even think I over revved because I pressed the clutch as soon as I knew it was in 2nd (way less than a second).

I catch up to the M5 again and we run again with me pulling pretty good. I exit and turn back around on the freeway. I get on the freeway and I see a greenish Trans Am, but couldn't tell the exact color because it was really dirty. I line up with him 2 times and I ended up beating him both times. I exit to get gas and when I start my car back up there's a loud ticking/clicking noise and it's really noticeable. It gets a bit louder when the RPM's go up. So I'm thinking "damn, maybe I bent a pushrod" I pop my hood and I could slightly hear it then I look under my car and I could really hear it from under there.

This morning I start my car up and the sound isn't as noticeable(barely noticeable really). This is pretty much what happened to my car in October. I kept driving it thought because I didn't hear much and now it happened again. Just curious what you guys think it could be? Tranny problems? I thought I would post here since I did get 3 kills withing 10 minutes of each other.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:50 AM
Staging Lane

Clutch. "Been there, done that". Either your throwout bearing went out, or some fo the fingers on the cluch broke.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Clutch. "Been there, done that". Either your throwout bearing went out, or some fo the fingers on the cluch broke.
I hope that isn't the case. I installed this clutch on September 19, 2009. There isn't even 10,000 miles on it either.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice kills.I accidentally shifted to 2nd instead of 4th and the worst sound's I ever heard came from my car at that moment it sounded like someone threw a handful of rocks into a blender.As soon as it happened me and the guy I was racing instantly slowed down and I started apologizing to my car!I think it's ok it has held up to some abuse since than.I had that same exact sound before and I think you might have broken a rocker arm.A little over 1 hour of labor at the shop,about $120 total.Good luck and when it's fixed me and you should get some runs in!
Old 02-13-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BayArea ws6
Nice kills.I accidentally shifted to 2nd instead of 4th and the worst sound's I ever heard came from my car at that moment it sounded like someone threw a handful of rocks into a blender.As soon as it happened me and the guy I was racing instantly slowed down and I started apologizing to my car!I think it's ok it has held up to some abuse since than.I had that same exact sound before and I think you might have broken a rocker arm.A little over 1 hour of labor at the shop,about $120 total.Good luck and when it's fixed me and you should get some runs in!
If I broke a rocker arm I wouldn't be able to hear it so clearly under the car right? Shouldn't the sound be in the engine bay? I wouldn't be a good run for you, but my friend wants to run you (BayAreaSS). I saw him reply to one of your threads. Make it happen!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like u won the battle but the M5 won the war
Old 02-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

When I broke a rocker arm I heard it under the car,from inside the car, and from the engine bay.loud ticking got louder and faster as I accelerated.Sound is there revvin in nuetral or while in gear .As far as racing goes win or lose I'm always down to run.Believe me I have took some losses!
Old 02-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Anything valvetrain related would be very audible in the engine bay. If you're hearing it under the car louder, it's either a crank or rod bearing, or the clutch area. If it was non-clutch trans related, it would be pretty obvious when you drove it that something wasn't right.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
If I broke a rocker arm I wouldn't be able to hear it so clearly under the car right? Shouldn't the sound be in the engine bay? I wouldn't be a good run for you, but my friend wants to run you (BayAreaSS). I saw him reply to one of your threads. Make it happen!
Doubt it's anything valvetrain related, but pop the valve cover off and see. It takes just a couple minutes and you'll know right away if anything is wrong.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks, at least you finally got to have some fun lol.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thought I'd bump this up and ask... do you think it could be a valve? When I slowly rev the car the clicking/ticking accelerates with it.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Thought I'd bump this up and ask... do you think it could be a valve? When I slowly rev the car the clicking/ticking accelerates with it.
The valvetrain is going to be the first thing to fail from an over-rev 99% of the time.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:47 AM
11 Second Club

My buddy did the same thing a few years back his Celica GT-S. He was banging gears, went for the 3-4 shift and somehow put it in second. He didn't catch it as soon as you, and accidentally let out the clutch. It over revved really bad, made a lot of noises and shut off. Now I know yours wasn't that bad, but upon pulling the engine and the head there was some serious damage to the valvetrain. I believe he bent some valves, not sure what it was exactly. But I would pull the valve covers at the minimum to see whats going on.

Quick Reply: Me vs E39 M5, E39 5-series, & LS1 Trans Am