Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

stock ws6 vs mkIII supra and fc rx7

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default stock ws6 vs mkIII supra and fc rx7

went out saturday night and met up with some friends at the local meet spot. noone else wanted to do anything so we went out and decided to run each other since my car is new to me and the rx7 was freshly built and just broken in. first race me vs mkIII supra. 7mgte turbo. not sure on all of the mods. I know he has aftermarket blow off valve, and tubing, and has the boost turned up to the max of the stock turbo. we somehow had him b/sed into beleiving my car was a 3800 firebird even after he saw the ws6 hood, wing, badge and heard the exhaust. first run he jumped early, and I still quickly ran him down and passed him. then lined up again from a 40 roll and I pulled about 2 cars on him to 70. then I lined up with the rx7 which has a heavily built 12a, all standalone fuel management, edis setup with individual coilpacks, basically everything custom. first run he was on 15 psi. we went from a 5 roll and he jumped out by a fender on the hit, then I pulled even by the end of first, then I very slowly pulled. ended up with him at my back bumper by 90. then all 3 of us lined up together for some interstate runs. 60 rolls, rx7 went up to 18 psi. off the hit the rx7 and i instantly pulled from the supra. we held dead even between his gears. he would drop back slightly each shift (one good thing about the auto). end result by 130 the rx7's front bumper was at the back of my door, the supra was several cars back. not bad for a stock a4 with only a magnaflow muffler.

disclaimer: this is all hypothetical, and is only what I think would happen if such racing were to occur. all is to be proven on the track, of course
Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good time! Nice kills.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

WTH was wrong with the Supra-eeck. Good kills
Old 02-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Been awhile since I heard "Supra Talk" but I thought the stock turbo was good for 550rwhp when maxed out? And that RX7 guy.... damn... he must have felt ripped off after all that money he dropped on that car! Maybe you should be a good bud and show him where he can get a LS1 for cheap so he can have a fast RX7?

Just waiting for all the "RX7's can run SEVENS with just a turbo!! You gotta watch out for them!!!" Yahoos.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A MKIII with the boost maxxed out on the stock turbo won't make 550whp but it should be making around 350whp if the boost is in fact maxxed out. Do you know if the Supra is a 5 speed or an auto? I don't think he has the boost maxed out, especially if he doesn't have a down pipe due to a restrictive exhaust.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TheHitman
A MKIII with the boost maxxed out on the stock turbo won't make 550whp but it should be making around 350whp if the boost is in fact maxxed out. Do you know if the Supra is a 5 speed or an auto? I don't think he has the boost maxed out, especially if he doesn't have a down pipe due to a restrictive exhaust.
I don't know all the different "MK" numbers. Talked to a guy with the last gen made who claimed he put down 550rwhp on the stock turbo which he said was the max that turbo could do. This was in total stop and go traffic after we raced down the onramp and he lost.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
I don't know all the different "MK" numbers. Talked to a guy with the last gen made who claimed he put down 550rwhp on the stock turbo which he said was the max that turbo could do. This was in total stop and go traffic after we raced down the onramp and he lost.
MKIII's (3) are just like the generations of f-bodies (1st gen, 2nd gen, etc.) MKIII's were powered by the 1JZ, not the 2JZ, meaning they aren't going to make that 550rhwp mark on the stock turbo.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WSsick
MKIII's (3) are just like the generations of f-bodies (1st gen, 2nd gen, etc.) MKIII's were powered by the 1JZ, not the 2JZ, meaning they aren't going to make that 550rhwp mark on the stock turbo.
MKIII's were powered by the 7MGTE, I thought? With all the head gasket issues and all. And the MKIII's in Japan were powered by the 1JZ, which was still a beast of a motor.

This is all by memory from when I was a little younger, I've been blown up too many times to recall accurately, and don't care enough to search again.

Anyway, to the OP, good kills!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96WS6guy
MKIII's were powered by the 7MGTE, I thought? With all the head gasket issues and all. And the MKIII's in Japan were powered by the 1JZ, which was still a beast of a motor.

This is all by memory from when I was a little younger, I've been blown up too many times to recall accurately, and don't care enough to search again.

Anyway, to the OP, good kills!
I could be wrong. I'm no Supra expert, but my post reflects what I'd always heard. I'm sure someone here knows for sure.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mkIII is the late 80's model, square body. it was a 5 speed with the 7mgte. like I said not sure on all of his mods, I just know he said his stock turbo is holding him back right now, and he is rebuilding a larger one for it. then I will probably be in trouble

and yes the rx7 owner was PISSED. he has close to 10k in his motor and probably that again in the rest of the car (it is a very clean, well built car though, not like most). he actually did mention he was going to look for an ls1/t56 to go in it. he's tired of replacing apex seals and such lol
Old 03-01-2011, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

The MKIII Supra was built from the late 80s to early 90s and had two powerplants during its time, the 7MGTE and the 1JZGTE. It also has a 5 speed manual or Auto option. The 7m won't make 550rwhp on the stock turbo, it will make around 350rwhp. The 2JZ on the other hand will make about 450rwhp on the stock turbo but that is maxing out the turbo on meth or race gas.

Hope that clears some things up.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Teching In

The first mod to any RX7 should be an engine swap.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
The first mod to any RX7 should be an LSX swap.
Fixed.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The thing that makes if even more confusing is that 1JZs were not available in the US in the MK3 turbo Supra but its a common swap(more reliable than 7MGTE but smaller). A lot of 2JZGTE(Mk4 twin turbo 3.0) MK3s have been popping up too.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
The thing that makes if even more confusing is that 1JZs were not available in the US in the MK3 turbo Supra but its a common swap(more reliable than 7MGTE but smaller). A lot of 2JZGTE(Mk4 twin turbo 3.0) MK3s have been popping up too.
Met a guy at a stoplight with a 1jz turbo swap in 240sx. Those Toyota motors are strong. Just makes me wonder Toyota ended up becoming the most boring car company in the world. Do they offer anything resembling a sports car or even fun car. Before you say Lexus LFA, I'm talking about cars that are available to the public.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WSsick
Fixed.
Not necessarily, but generally.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr370z
Met a guy at a stoplight with a 1jz turbo swap in 240sx. Those Toyota motors are strong. Just makes me wonder Toyota ended up becoming the most boring car company in the world. Do they offer anything resembling a sports car or even fun car. Before you say Lexus LFA, I'm talking about cars that are available to the public.
Probably because every sporty car they sold for the most part were poor sellers and expensive. For a while Toyota wanted to be number one in terms of sales and bread and butter Camrys etc make money. My favorite car I own is a MK1 MR2 SC-its fun and motor is very reliable.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Probably because every sporty car they sold for the most part were poor sellers and expensive. For a while Toyota wanted to be number one in terms of sales and bread and butter Camrys etc make money. My favorite car I own is a MK1 MR2 SC-its fun and motor is very reliable.
Well it sure seems like they've been falling on their face left and right with the whole gas pedal fiasco. Sounds to me like a good time to finally release their fabled Toyota FT-86....
Old 03-01-2011, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Great runs OP, those are pretty cool cars to run into, and take down.

Originally Posted by Mr370z
Well it sure seems like they've been falling on their face left and right with the whole gas pedal fiasco. Sounds to me like a good time to finally release their fabled Toyota FT-86....
I think it looks pretty cool, I'd pull off that spoiler, but other than that, it's got some extreme angles.

http://jalopnik.com/#!5773096/toyota...ling/gallery/1
Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gaunt
I think it looks pretty cool, I'd pull off that spoiler, but other than that, it's got some extreme angles.

http://jalopnik.com/#!5773096/toyota...ling/gallery/1
As long as it's got a turbo boxer engine Subaru powerplant and the spoiler is removable I'd enjoy one.

Quick Reply: stock ws6 vs mkIII supra and fc rx7