Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Modded Skittle v 99 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Modded Skittle v 99 Z28

--RACE IN BOLD IF YOU'D LIKE TO SKIP AHEAD--

Left campus early today since 1 class was canceled and the other is almost too boring to live through. As I'm backing out of my spot, a yellow Neon pulls around the corner and is leaving right ahead of me. I heard a BOV so I was hoping he'd be headed my way home.

While sitting behind him, I notice something odd, it had single exit exhaust with a fart can coming out the left. Car was completely debadged but still had the SRT4 front/hood/wing/wheels so I figured it was just a different exhaust setup than I had ever seen. It definitely didn't sound as good as other skittles, but oh well. 99% sure it was an SRT4, but if not, it was a damn good clone with a turbo.

He pulls out and a couple cars get in between us, but I catch him on the 3 lane on ramp and pass him and a new other cars in 5th just to be loud and see if he's game. I hear his BOV squeak when I pass and sure enough, he dips out of the line and the front of his car jumps up. He does a mini-flyby on me and proceeded to drive faster than I wanted, 75+ through a MAJOR cop zone (they have up to 8 cops sitting on the side of the highway sometimes, all lined up). I let him go while trying to stay in the neighborhood by going ~65. Eventually he slows down and I am on his *** for a while while going through the cop infested part (counted 5 that were either waiting or had already pulled people over, thankfully on the other side of the highway). From the time I leave school until about 5 miles from home is my NO RACE OR CHASE area, but we were approaching the perfect playground, a good 3-4 mile stretch where I've had 4 or 5 kills because you can see well enough ahead and I hardly any cops. While behind him, I snapped a quick picture:

Anyways, we are just about into the area I'd like to run, so I drop it to 4th and give him a part throttle pass to let him know I'm ready. He's stuck behind a car, but when he catches me he gives me another BOV chirp so I motion for him to slow down a couple times and he finally caught my drift.

He rolls his window down and with a chirp of his BOV again, I know he's downshifted and ready. I wait a second or two, pull up next to him in 2nd @ 50 and I honk it off: 3..2..1..

I am in my sweetspot so I rip in 2nd and he's falling back quick, hit 3rd and now there's 2 or 3 cars between us, and since I saw his car drive then pop back up again (meaning he was shifting and still in it) I super granny shift into 4th and ran until ~105 and let out about 5 or 6 cars ahead...he was well into my rearview.

He eventually rolled up along side me and gave me a disappointed thumbs up, I waved back and went back to normal driving. I didn't see fit to run again since it was so ugly, he seemed to feel the same way.

My guess on his mods were at least BOV and exhaust, probably an intake if he just has basic mods. I ran my friend's SRT4 back when I trapped 108 and we were door to door, but he was a stage 2 on a good amount of boost and brake boosting.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rule about BOVs proves true again.

Nice Kill!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:36 PM
9 Second Club

^the more noticeable the bov, the more likely he doesn't have serious mods? I could agree with that
Old 03-07-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice kill, what mods do you have? ....i raced my brothers srt-4 (intake & exhuast only).. we were door to door and im bone stock.. :/ im also 5,200 ft above sea level so that doesnt help me but it seems you put a good beating on that srt4..
Old 03-07-2011, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

i know mine isnt exactly a BOV or whatever.....but it just intimidated the hell of a guy in a late 90's GT who is always gettin on it thru my subdivision....i chased him out and pulled along side and gave him a few 2nd gear jumps.....

he wanted no part. maybe he did his homework?

Last edited by hugger1975; 03-08-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

His homework of knowing his car is slow no matter what he races?? :X hehe

Last edited by sujomatt; 03-07-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My SRT 4 made 375 whp and yanked a H/C T/A on the highway pretty nastily and my BOV was quite noticeable.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:34 PM
9 Second Club

I'd be quite a schmuck for making fun of BOV's considering I have a Tial 50mm for the T/A and Tial Q/charge pipe combo coming in for the DD.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice kill OP
Old 03-07-2011, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
My SRT 4 made 375 whp and yanked a H/C T/A on the highway pretty nastily and my BOV was quite noticeable.
Any idea what your SRT 4 trapped ? My buddy just got a Garret .57 trim on his at about 24 psi. I'm looking to race him after I get my TFS 215 heads and fast intake on.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brians91formula
Any idea what your SRT 4 trapped ? My buddy just got a Garret .57 trim on his at about 24 psi. I'm looking to race him after I get my TFS 215 heads and fast intake on.
Never got to run it at the track but the T/A I pulled on made 440 rwhp. Mine was a .50 trim @ 21.5 psi, I think you might lose from a roll.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by willizm
^the more noticeable the bov, the more likely he doesn't have serious mods? I could agree with that
Generally, yes.

If i hear a BOV from a free rev (no load) or a low rpm discharge, i know it's probably a slow stock turbo car.

When someone is constantly making the BOV noise like in the OPs story, they're probably a ricer with their first boosted engine, and it's probably slow.

Also, the kind of BOVs that are really loud (sqeek/chirp types) on 4 cylinders usually aren't purchased by guys with serious setups. We usually go for the big stuff, like a good ole Tial, which is a lot quiter than those silly chirp all over town like a cool kid BOVs.

Ironically, i've gotten a couple BOV solutes from a yellow SRT-4 in my area, but we're never headed the same way. If i could get my BOV to open at low revs, i'd have given one back.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Great kill!

At least he seems like a good sport.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Teching In

good kill. my bov isn't loud at all, until i enter full boost.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beans
Generally, yes.

If i hear a BOV from a free rev (no load) or a low rpm discharge, i know it's probably a slow stock turbo car.

When someone is constantly making the BOV noise like in the OPs story, they're probably a ricer with their first boosted engine, and it's probably slow.

Also, the kind of BOVs that are really loud (sqeek/chirp types) on 4 cylinders usually aren't purchased by guys with serious setups. We usually go for the big stuff, like a good ole Tial, which is a lot quiter than those silly chirp all over town like a cool kid BOVs.

Ironically, i've gotten a couple BOV solutes from a yellow SRT-4 in my area, but we're never headed the same way. If i could get my BOV to open at low revs, i'd have given one back.
Yeah my BOV is a smaller greddy RS but it doesnt make any real noise unless Im on it, and the car is wayyy louder still.

I hate the stock cars that sqeek the BOV every effin shift.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:08 PM
12 Second Club

Has anyone ever seen this single exit exhaust before? I sure haven't.

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
I hate the stock cars that sqeek the BOV every effin shift.
This would be the guy I raced.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by willizm
I'd be quite a schmuck for making fun of BOV's considering I have a Tial 50mm for the T/A and Tial Q/charge pipe combo coming in for the DD.
I haven't heard the Q, but the 50MM is very quiet compared to some of the others. Both are very good BOVs designed for function, no harm in that.

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Yeah my BOV is a smaller greddy RS but it doesnt make any real noise unless Im on it, and the car is wayyy louder still.
Yep, you've got a big turbo so even a loud style BOV is quiet in daily driving.

Originally Posted by WSsick
Has anyone ever seen this single exit exhaust before? I sure haven't.
I haven't seen that, but that's how i'd do it. I'm not a fan of dual exhausts on single turbo cars (unless it's a cutout or something)...all it says to me is excess weight.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good kill, I've been wanting to run an SRT-4.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice kill dude
Old 03-07-2011, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Once my external dump opens you MIGHT hear my GReddy type-s.