Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

1995 Camaro Z28 vs 2011 Mustang V6 **vids**

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:10 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Yeah, on paper it looked to be a good matchup and the video seems to show that. I bet a 2011 Mustang would be a good match for the G8 too.

I don't think 12's will be too hard with those cars unless they don't respond well to mods.
They actually respond very well, from what I've seen. I bet intake/full exhaust, some 3.73s, and maybe DRs would be able to crack a 12.9.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Yeah, on paper it looked to be a good matchup and the video seems to show that. I bet a 2011 Mustang would be a good match for the G8 too.

I don't think 12's will be too hard with those cars unless they don't respond well to mods.
Remember how I said a friend just bought a G8?

Originally Posted by kennyxg
It's just strange to see a v6 stang beat an lt1. Those little v6's are quick!
It is pretty strange. Just shows what technology can do for ya.

Originally Posted by nevrlift13
thats one bad lil V6....
Agreed.

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Haha, of course I don't like the outcome! Thankfully, I'll be swapping motors eventually

On a side note, that V6 Mustang does sound pretty good IMO
I'd be swapping motors too if a V6 Mustang was coming around me...kidding. That thing might be in LS1 territory soon.

Originally Posted by Beans
+1.

Reminds me of a nissan Z
I think it sounds better with exhaust than a VQ does. It sounds even better in person.

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
They actually respond very well, from what I've seen. I bet intake/full exhaust, some 3.73s, and maybe DRs would be able to crack a 12.9.
From what I've seen, you're right. The intake is REALLY choked down and I think an intake/TB/93 tune and this thing would be be right around 300rwhp or above. He says he wants to put some tires and a 100 shot on it and hit 12s. It's his mom's car, and she doesn't want it any louder...but that doesn't mean no more mods.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they at best run very high 13's will take more than gears and bolton's to get them into 12's
will take either some FI or a small shot of nitrous.

14.23 @ 100.06 mph is what a guy i know has ran. quick yes. but they just dont have enough low rpm power to be good 1/4 cars.

another ran
13.03@103.5 from Catback, AirKit, Lund Racing Tune, Alum. Driveshaft, 3500 Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, QA1 Adjustable Rears,

just looks like there gonna hit a big wall without FI.

IMO there exhaust notes are nearly the exact same tone. just the vq37 pumps out better results

Last edited by GXPPOWER; 03-13-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
He says he wants to put some tires and a 100 shot on it and hit 12s. It's his mom's car
at putting nitrous on your mother's brand new mustang and going racing.

That's a lot more responsibility than i'd want to have. Sorry i made a mistake and melted the pistons, mom!
Old 03-13-2011, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
they at best run very high 13's will take more than gears and bolton's to get them into 12's
will take either some FI or a small shot of nitrous.

14.23 @ 100.06 mph is what a guy i know has ran. quick yes. but they just dont have enough low rpm power to be good 1/4 cars.

another ran
13.03@103.5 from Catback, AirKit, Lund Racing Tune, Alum. Driveshaft, 3500 Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, QA1 Adjustable Rears,

just looks like there gonna hit a big wall without FI.

IMO there exhaust notes are nearly the exact same tone. just the vq37 pumps out better results
They haven't been out long, and they are already running times along the lines of what a fast stock LT1 will run. WARNING: MAJOR BENCH RACING TO FOLLOW! The LT1 raced here was around a mid 13 second car. I'd say around 13.7-8 since he held off another friend's LS1 (which ran a ~13.7) for all the way until 90 mph bone stock. He has since added the intake and exhaust and the Mustang still beat him by 1-2 cars (depending on how you rate it). I'd say the Mustang is around a 101-2 trap, and as long as the launch if decent around a 13.7 car. Full bolt-ons should easily get them to 300rwhp area, and since mustangs have that great rear you can leave hard with that newly found power. That + some gears and I could see 12s.

[I don't know if you've looked a V6 over, but the intake is SUPER choked. I could see big gains from an intake/throttle body. The TB is tiny.]

Our track is supposedly under negotiations of being bought and reopened, in which case both cars will be headed their for some times. Hopefully the mods don't change too much by then on the Mustang...but that's July at the earliest so don't hold your breathe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsAmOH4gTDM
Old 03-13-2011, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beans
at putting nitrous on your mother's brand new mustang and going racing.

That's a lot more responsibility than i'd want to have. Sorry i made a mistake and melted the pistons, mom!
What's funny is that I would seriously bet that nitrous ends up on the car with her knowdledge without her caring. It's a drag racing family.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Teching In

What's funny is that I would seriously bet that nitrous ends up on the car with her knowdledge without her caring. It's a drag racing family.
That's my kind of family.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mach Boy
That's my kind of family.
He convinced his mom to do the exhaust easy. My mom has a Regal GS and there is no way in hell she'd ever let me talk her into doing a basic pulley swap.

[Still waiting on the Cobra vids...he said his friend hasn't sent them to him yet.]
Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Teching In

I love the things you can do with VVT. This car is not cammed, it's all in the tune. And it can be done to the V6s as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gamElP1BSn8&hd=1

V6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Jbz7_yTlo&hd=1
Old 03-13-2011, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

I saw that first one on STLSR. It's a cool trick, but I think it's a little for a car without cams. I can...well, could do it too. My "old" car with the brake booster pulled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p5ckgoBD3E

Last edited by WSsick; 03-13-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Teching In

I saw that first one on STLSR. It's a cool trick, but I think it's a little for a car without cams. I can...well, could do it too. My car with the brake booster pulled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p5ckgoBD3E
I had a nasty lope when my EGR gasket was leaking.

Oh and are you sure that's YOUR car?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love the things you can do with VVT. This car is not cammed, it's all in the tune. And it can be done to the V6s as well.
Does that do anything for performance by adjusting the VVT for that idle? Or is it more for just the sound?

I personally wouldn't advertise the car sounding that way if it added no power but it does sound pretty sweet.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
Does that do anything for performance by adjusting the VVT for that idle? Or is it more for just the sound?

I personally wouldn't advertise the car sounding that way if it added no power but it does sound pretty sweet.
There is no performance gain. It's just something neat you can do with the tune to show off to all of your cool friends.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

I had a nasty lope when my EGR gasket was leaking.

Oh and are you sure that's YOUR car?
Blah blah blah....edited.

Originally Posted by NightmareTA

Exactly how I feel. It's just for sound, like how most new (young) guys here on tech always post a thread wanting a cam that lopes really hard but drives great because secretly they care about the sound more than how it performs.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no performance gain. It's just something neat you can do with the tune to show off to all of your cool friends.
Seems stupid to me, but to each their own.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Seems stupid to me, but to each their own.
+1 domestic rice FTL
Old 03-13-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time to order a bigger cam then, that distance just wont do for me against ANY n/a V6 car.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:18 AM
11 Second Club

I saw the commercial for the new v6 stang today and was actually wondering how it would fare against a stockish fbody, I guess now I know. I'm actually pretty impressed, I figured it would show a good hp number and preform like ****, which mustangs are typically known for. And I will have to disagree with you guys about the sound, when I heard the video the first thing I thought was how terrible it sounded. But to each their own!

And LOL@modding moms car.

And I think the whole VVT idle lope is pretty cool actually..
Old 03-14-2011, 01:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry, but REAL cammed cars sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isTDbG93YjU

And if you do what they did (totally turn off the VVT) then those mustang would be alot slower than stock due to all the power lost under 5,000rpms. They are weak enough down low WITH the VVT! Hell, Ford put a big stall converter in them from the factory for a reason.... only car I've ever seen with a 2500+ stock stall converter.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:10 AM
Launching!

Even the v6 can give a stock ls1 a good run lmaof!