Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

S2000 vs STi from a Dig

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 vs STi from a Dig

Last night my friend Javi and I were going from 1 bar to another. On the way there we were getting on the throttle here and there through turns n what not. We were almost at the 2nd bar when we got to a red light next to each other. I asked him for a friendly quick dig race to see how it stacks up against one.

He agrees to have some fun and at Green we take off. I had 1 passenger with me, he had none. His car is stock.

At green we both hit it (literally at the same time)

I spun and got a little sideway from 6k rpm launch but catches traction pretty quickly (not bad for summer tires). He had had the RPMs up there because he started reving before I did - and he jumped out by a car and a half. I hammered second and he stayed about 2 cars ahead until we got there (probably up to 60mph).

Not bad for an all motor intake catback S two hundred. After the quick race we BS a little and he knew to feather the clutch till it catches n to then dump it, etc - hes a cool guy, not crap talking just fun

Last edited by sujomatt; 03-15-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:24 AM

Sounds like a fun run you guys got in there! I noticed that even when they don't launch the crap out of them, those STI's usually walk out down low. I'm guessing that's due to the gearing.

How are you liking the new ride so far? When's that header going on?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Sounds like a fun run you guys got in there! I noticed that even when they don't launch the crap out of them, those STI's usually walk out down low. I'm guessing that's due to the gearing.

How are you liking the new ride so far? When's that header going on?
Yea man, they move out regardless. They are great cars, just not my cup of tea anymore lol. It scared me when he got that kind of jump but what can ya do lol. I don't often dig race, but my buddy said my launch was pretty flawless for what it was.

The header and tune will be on by weekend I am hoping! I already have the AEM EMS just waiting for the header to be delivered tomorrow
Old 03-14-2011, 10:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sujomatt
The header and tune will be on by weekend I am hoping! I already have the AEM EMS just waiting for the header to be delivered tomorrow
Very nice.

Whats the cost for a plug and play standalone on one of those cars, if you don't mind?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

I found a deal for 1200 bux shipped, but its about 1400 bux everywhere else
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

I found a deal for 1200 bux shipped, but its about 1400 bux everywhere else
Not too terrible compared to some of the plug and plays for other cars.

It's going to be awesome boosted
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you know how to launch those things (STi's), they can be trouble. Sounds like a fun run, nice death.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
If you know how to launch those things (STi's), they can be trouble. Sounds like a fun run, nice death.
**** you, sean. lol
Old 03-14-2011, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

I can't imagine where the hate comes from?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Beans
Not too terrible compared to some of the plug and plays for other cars.

It's going to be awesome boosted
I love the car as it is all motor. Feels like its on rails or something taking turns.. + Boost and I think i'll be scared of it haha

Yea very true, and thanks dude
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

Yea man, they move out regardless. They are great cars, just not my cup of tea anymore lol. It scared me when he got that kind of jump but what can ya do lol. I don't often dig race, but my buddy said my launch was pretty flawless for what it was.

Aren't those s2000's Forged from the factory ? My understanding is that they are pretty weak N/A but really fast with some boost.

I'd love to own a boosted one someday.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brians91formula
Aren't those s2000's Forged from the factory ? My understanding is that they are pretty weak N/A but really fast with some boost.

I'd love to own a boosted one someday.

Yea they are, im just doing boltons and a tune to get me by until i get more money and pay some bills. After that I'll be bolting on a turbo kit - then once i get more money ill be doing the engine in phases
Old 03-14-2011, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

^ Are they expensive to turbo ?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brians91formula
^ Are they expensive to turbo ?
A solid manifold is about 1000 bux, the engine management is 1200, turbo is over 1000, ID1000 injectors is like 450, pump is 100 - it's not cheap, thats for sure. I'd say its about the same as doing a LS1 really
Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Yea they are, im just doing boltons and a tune to get me by until i get more money and pay some bills. After that I'll be bolting on a turbo kit - then once i get more money ill be doing the engine in phases
Turbo LSX swap.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Turbo LSX swap.
NEVARRRRRR!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

i believe the record on a stock motor was just over 700whp. Those motors are insane to say the least. Not sure how long that one held up before popping. I know of a slightly over 500whp S2k that had arp headstuds to keep the head from lifting and last i knew of its been a year of weekend after weekend rapage and its held up. But yeah i'd love to boost one also.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

I love the car as it is all motor.
That's a car i would be torn about boosting.

It's a much better "driver's car" N/A, but at the end of the day i think i'd want the psi.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RhizzleDizzle
i believe the record on a stock motor was just over 700whp. Those motors are insane to say the least. Not sure how long that one held up before popping. I know of a slightly over 500whp S2k that had arp headstuds to keep the head from lifting and last i knew of its been a year of weekend after weekend rapage and its held up. But yeah i'd love to boost one also.
I'd have to assume the record holder didn't last long lol.

The 500whp s2k you spoke of - I'd bet he did a 2 or 3mm head gasket while doing the headstuds. OR is running meth injection. The reason I say that, is these motors run 11:1 compression - would be a lot of detonation with the amount of boost needed for 500whp

Originally Posted by Beans
That's a car i would be torn about boosting.

It's a much better "driver's car" N/A, but at the end of the day i think i'd want the psi.
Yea that is why I am not really in a rush to turbo it, when it happens it happens!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

I'd have to assume the record holder didn't last long lol.

The 500whp s2k you spoke of - I'd bet he did a 2 or 3mm head gasket while doing the headstuds. OR is running meth injection. The reason I say that, is these motors run 11:1 compression - would be a lot of detonation with the amount of boost needed for 500whp
yeah there's probably a good chance. I don't know him personally so who knows whats really done. I know i've seen a bunch of unhappy s2k owners on hondatech and other forums pissed from lifting the heads, ect. With 11:1 compression what do you expect. I mean of course they're making insane hp per psi with that kind of compression but you gotta aid it somehow if you plan on running high boost or being somewhat reliable. Still though i'd love to have one someday.