Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Holy crap those new 5.0's are fast!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12's shouldn't "need" suspension mods, but the correct setup makes a difference no matter the ET. It's just that the factory setup was still good for 12's on those cars. 10's, on the other hand... Not so much.

Middle school in '96.... Oh, wow... youngen... Makin' me feel old now... That's so knock it off!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I don't get the whole "many years" thing... This is the 1st year Ford has used it in any production vehicle. It isn't like GM hasn't had many years as well... 4.6 Northstar, for like 2 decades now. GM isn't "not" on top... They'll run out of cubic inches at some point, which explains the blower. If 638hp isn't enough from the factory, whoever thinks that should open their own manufacturing plant, then build and sell their own cars...

From what I've read, the only engine really "in the works" is the 5.5L(which may be any CI for production) and while it will be good, I'm not convinced it will out-perform the 5L if both go DI. From the looks, the 5.5 will be DI from the start no matter the cubes(maybe 5.7L?). The 5L is also prepared for DI already, so we'll have to see what they come up with later.

I'm expecting the GT500 to use the 5L soon(maybe next yr as a 2013), with DI. Otherwise, it's the only platform for the 5.4L anymore. I think they're simply using up stock before the changeover. The other option is the one serious Ford fans are frothing at the mouth over... 6.2L.
I was talking about the technology used in the 5.0 not the use of the engine itself.
Of course you don't read anything about a new engine from GM they are not going to let it out easily.
I also believe Ford is going to drop the 5.4 and go to the 6.2. I think they are testing it in the f150 before going in the mustang. Also clearing out the 5.4 stockpile
Old 04-27-2011, 02:47 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Apperantly someone's memeory of stock mach's being fast is a little off....even if they did et o.k.(13.5+/- for a good one) their mph was not as good as a ls fbody.
I know it's already been said, but it's the et that matters in a drag race. LS1tech is the only forum I've ever seen where people will bash a car for not winning a drag race one moment, and then say it's all about mph the next moment.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

That is because some of the little bitch GM owners WILL find a way to take credit away from a Mustang if it infact performs better than a GM, even if they contradict themselves while doing it.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:10 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Are you completely retarded? You can't just slap on parts and be fast. Supercharged 4.6s depend on amount of boost on how they run, gear ratio, driver's skill, weight of car, tune, etc etc...
These cars were actually shop built, idiot.

I am talking about NA cars and there was one that was SCed, ran good but did not beat a stock 97 vette, the vette i mention did run 12.9.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:16 PM
In-Zane Moderator

From what I've read, the only engine really "in the works" is the 5.5L(which may be any CI for production) and while it will be good, I'm not convinced it will out-perform the 5L if both go DI. From the looks, the 5.5 will be DI from the start no matter the cubes(maybe 5.7L?). The 5L is also prepared for DI already, so we'll have to see what they come up with later.
Actually, the 5.5 liter that has been mentioned is in use in the current C6R vette, they call the engine the C5.5R, something along that line, with the restrictions on the class, they backed down from the 427 cubes with the restriction on the induction.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 438 Likes on 344 Posts

That is because some of the little bitch GM owners WILL find a way to take credit away from a Mustang if it infact performs better than a GM, even if they contradict themselves while doing it.
This means nothing coming from someone who drives a glorified honda..

It's always been about the mph to me....alothough it is nice to have a blance. Everyone likes a car that runs hard out the back too,and that will win more roll races.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:26 PM
In-Zane Moderator

It's always been about the mph to me....alothough it is nice to have a blance. Everyone likes a car that runs hard out the back too,and that will win more roll races.
Man, you are right there with me, i love running the times i run and i am always getting faster, but these mustangs, the older fox bodys and the SN95 2V guys never want to play in the 1/4 mile, they know they can jump out and might hold some land for the 1/8th but they know i will come around leaving them sitting still in the 1/4 mile, they REFUSE to run me 1/4 on the street and they will not roll race me due to knowing they will get destroyed.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:35 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS

I am talking about NA cars and there was one that was SCed, ran good but did not beat a stock 97 vette, the vette i mention did run 12.9.
Contradictory statement.
You realize the Integra is his DD, right?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Man, you are right there with me, i love running the times i run and i am always getting faster, but these mustangs, the older fox bodys and the SN95 2V guys never want to play in the 1/4 mile, they know they can jump out and might hold some land for the 1/8th but they know i will come around leaving them sitting still in the 1/4 mile, they REFUSE to run me 1/4 on the street and they will not roll race me due to knowing they will get destroyed.
What? Mustangs won't race the 1/4 mile? Coming from a guy who has shown EITHER street racing OR 1/8th mile info, that's a rather bassackward comment...

Trust this much. There are literally thousands of Mustangs(particularly Fox body) quicker than your 3rd gen, some of which never got a complete engine/transmission swap to get there. I like your car for its performance, but seriously... There are scads of Mustangs you don't stand a chance against from 0-whatever speed your car can reach. Most of the quicker ones simply aren't street raced.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ohhhhh a shop built it, nvm then.

Thank you, you answered my question.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Anyone in the DC/MD area have a car like yours? I will run it with my Fox with the ac on in the 1/4 mile on drag radials with all the sway bars on and hooked up with full interior. Ill even spot them 5 tenths and 5 MPH. Keep in mind around here mine is not even close to being the fastest. Foxes usually wimp out in jackasses races like 80 MPH rolls. Thats the stupidest post I have seen in quite a while here.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Whoop'tydo... Now it's a mph race? Sheesh... Some people will stop at NOTHING to say, "But mine's better anyway" in this contest of idiocy.
I just have to quote this for the sheer hypocrisy.
EVERY one of your posts has something to do with trying to convince people that the Mustang is somehow better than car X.
For example...

I don't get the whole "many years" thing... This is the 1st year Ford has used it in any production vehicle. It isn't like GM hasn't had many years as well... 4.6 Northstar, for like 2 decades now. GM isn't "not" on top... They'll run out of cubic inches at some point, which explains the blower. If 638hp isn't enough from the factory, whoever thinks that should open their own manufacturing plant, then build and sell their own cars...
This tired old argument AGAIN?
Clearly then Ford couldn't figure out how to get any more power out of the 4.6L mod motor, so they just threw a blower on it for the Cobras. Or Ford couldn't figure out how to get more than ~415hp out of the new 5.0L coyotee. These are your arguments turned around, can you see how utterly stupid they are?
GM chooses to use the displacement they use, and chooses to use a blower on the ZR1, its not a matter of "running out of displacement" or "running out of technology" or "can't figure out" - its a matter of CHOICE.

The fact of the matter still remains, GM's LS3 is still smaller, lighter, cheaper and more powerful (more importantly more torquey) than the Coyotee engine, end of story.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

GM has always had to use cubes to compete with the smaller Ford n/a motors, even then it didn't always work.(see 80's, early 90's, 20000, current.) And even when it DID work it didnt work nearly as good as is should IMO.(see 98-current)
Old 04-27-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh.. So now the stock 1997 Corvette was just "all that and a bag of chips," I'm sure... I'm also sure that people, particularly Corvette owners with the LS1, weren't PISSED that Z/28's were beating them on the 1/4 mile... The idea of being lucky is merely due to the rarity of the race(he probably raced ZERO of them in reality) happening as well as the fact the two were actually quite close, so a mistake driving could and would often decide the race. Or perhaps you only remember the auto Mach 1 and forgot about the manual transmissioned version...

.3-.4 difference EASILY makes a stock 1997 LS1 Corvette a 12.90 or quicker car... Nope, that was NOT happening.

http://www.musclecardrive.com/ford/2...ang-mach-1.php
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/516955-post1.html (don't ask me where the info here came from).
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...h_1/index.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3173111AAnlg7W

I'm not about magazine racing, but it's not like we have a couple factory stock versions to choose from here.
http://gmhightechperformance.automot...ure/index.html

My magazine is faster than yours. Stock 2003 LS1 Corvette goes 12.7 @ 112. Show me ANY stock Mach going 13.0 @ 107
Old 04-27-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GM has always had to use cubes to compete with the smaller Ford n/a motors, even then it didn't always work.(see 80's, early 90's, 20000, current.) And even when it DID work it didnt work nearly as good as is should IMO.(see 98-current)
well... back in '55 chevy had the 283 small block (power pack) in the bel airs that ford or mopar couldn't compete with at the time.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

I love how many Ford and GM engineers we have in here...there's been some bold statements regarding engine design/construction.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so what you're saying for example is basically a LS1 fbody should have a greater margin of destroying a new edge gt?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JHL88
so what you're saying for example is basically a LS1 fbody should have a greater margin of destroying a new edge gt?
Compare apples to apples. Why do all GM owners instantly compare the to the 2v GT? Lol
Old 04-27-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I just have to quote this for the sheer hypocrisy.
EVERY one of your posts has something to do with trying to convince people that the Mustang is somehow better than car X.
For example...

This tired old argument AGAIN?
Clearly then Ford couldn't figure out how to get any more power out of the 4.6L mod motor, so they just threw a blower on it for the Cobras. Or Ford couldn't figure out how to get more than ~415hp out of the new 5.0L coyotee. These are your arguments turned around, can you see how utterly stupid they are?
GM chooses to use the displacement they use, and chooses to use a blower on the ZR1, its not a matter of "running out of displacement" or "running out of technology" or "can't figure out" - its a matter of CHOICE.

The fact of the matter still remains, GM's LS3 is still smaller, lighter, cheaper and more powerful (more importantly more torquey) than the Coyotee engine, end of story.
I can't help but think of the Wizard of OZ when reading your nonsense... "If I only had a brain!"

The problem WE have is that YOU can't comprehend the comments. I have little else to say, because it will simply make me look mean. Get a clue, seriously. The above is a prime example in that you just CANNOT understand what's being said. I know you fancy yourself some really intelligent young man, but I see you as just another snot-nosed kid without the 1st bit of real world knowlege. I'm done with ya.

Last edited by It'llrun; 04-27-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: misspelling

Quick Reply: Holy crap those new 5.0's are fast!!!