Holy crap those new 5.0's are fast!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:14 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Ones aluminum block....ones not.

Ones 4 bolt main.....ones not.

One was designed in 1960's......one in the 1990's.

Hmmmm.....I wonder.
Aluminum LQ4? New to me.

Because we all know a 4 bolt main is slower than a 6 bolt main, my bad dawg!!!!

A SBC was designed in 1950s and they are still going, whats the excuse there?

You are a tool.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Aluminum LQ4? New to me.

You are a tool.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 438 Likes on 344 Posts

You guys are on crack if you think that ****** old ford **** will keep up with a ls. Hell I'll throw sbc and bbc's and all that mopar **** in there to.....By the way how fast has anyone ever seen a n/a mod motor go? I've never seen a n/a mod go 11's till the new 5.0. When I say this remember I'm talking about using actual production parts that is readily availible...not race **** or after market heads.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Aluminum LQ4? New to me.

You are a tool.
The LQ isn't the LS... LS is aluminum. LQ is iron. That's the main difference between the two and it's a reason some go LQ.

I think I'm done with this one... Too much talk about what the W isn't capable of, 10 solid years after people ran 6's with them... Sure, tons of upgrades were required for that kind of power, but it was done. Someone get back to me when an LS or LQ powers an F-body to 6.6's or quicker... at 2800 lb.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I've never seen a n/a mod go 11's till the new 5.0.
You ******* dumbass, someone IN THIS THREAD has done it with bolt ons.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

You guys are on crack if you think that ****** old ford **** will keep up with a ls. Hell I'll throw sbc and bbc's and all that mopar **** in there to.....By the way how fast has anyone ever seen a n/a mod motor go? I've never seen a n/a mod go 11's till the new 5.0. When I say this remember I'm talking about using actual production parts that is readily availible...not race **** or after market heads.
Remember there is not aftermarket head for the 4.6's (i'm talking about the 4v).

But I just showed you that my 12yr old mod motor (worst headed 4v made) went 11's with the stock motor. The fastest stock longblock motor'd (heads, cams, shortblock) 4v went 11.1 at 120mph. But with a h/c/i n/a 4.6 4v have gone mid 10's with off the shelf parts...with worked OEM heads. You need to get out more.

All time fastest n/a mod motor has gone 9.20@146..with OEM heads.

-Mark
Old 04-28-2011, 11:07 PM
10 Second Club

They are few and far between.....and probally not street friendly DD's. Just outta curiosity Bitemar....how gutted was your car when you went that 11.7?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

With me in the car on that pass was 3150. The car now still has ps, pb, pw, and stock front 13" brakes.

I used to drive my car daily until I started running slicks....7000 dumps on slicks and my stock 10spline input shaft kept giving me dirty looks. lol.

-Mark
Old 04-28-2011, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Quickest N/A 4.6L mod motor on record ran... 9.20's I think... Look up Mike Tymenski, but it may take awhile. Most of what you'll find 1st is related to his accidental death a couple yrs ago in a boating crash. Fastest Modular, PERIOD, is J. Mihovetz... 6.19 @ 232mph. John used a factory crank, factory block and factory heads. He was also the PCSA Pro Street Champion in 2008. For more on him, look up ACCUFABracing.

Haven't heard of any L doing that well.

Quickest W block cars were running mid 6's 10yrs ago... Nothing new here.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Quickest N/A 4.6L mod motor on record ran... 9.20's I think... Look up Mike Tymenski, but it may take awhile. Most of what you'll find 1st is related to his accidental death a couple yrs ago in a boating crash. Fastest Modular, PERIOD, is J. Mihovetz... 6.19 @ 232mph. John used a factory crank, factory block and factory heads. He was also the PCSA Pro Street Champion in 2008. For more on him, look up ACCUFABracing.

Just so ya know....I don't care about the fastest of anything if it has race gas in it. I was more speaking of real **** that most of us can afford to f with. I know there are people out there with lots of money that will go after a record even if it means grenading a motor or a motor that needs so much maintence that it's virtually unaffordible.

I figured you were beatin on it pretty hard Bitemark...good job figuring it out! I often wondered how fast my ls6 would go if it were more a dragcar setup. Right now the way it is I'm actually not that hard on it.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:29 AM
In-Zane Moderator

The LQ isn't the LS... LS is aluminum. LQ is iron. That's the main difference between the two and it's a reason some go LQ.

I think I'm done with this one... Too much talk about what the W isn't capable of, 10 solid years after people ran 6's with them... Sure, tons of upgrades were required for that kind of power, but it was done. Someone get back to me when an LS or LQ powers an F-body to 6.6's or quicker... at 2800 lb.
A LQ is a LS based engine, i never mentioned a LS1. I will get back with you if i find a 2800 pound F body in general, LOL.

Originally Posted by Bitemark46

All time fastest n/a mod motor has gone 9.20@146..with OEM heads.

-Mark
Built to the hilt im sure? LOL

The built NA 6 speed record is in the 8s and that was a 3200 pound car i believe. That was a LQ block, not a aluminum block.

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
With me in the car on that pass was 3150. The car now still has ps, pb, pw, and stock front 13" brakes.

I used to drive my car daily until I started running slicks....7000 dumps on slicks and my stock 10spline input shaft kept giving me dirty looks. lol.

-Mark
Holy ****, if my car was 3150 with me i would have done slapped the **** out of 10 second motor slips, LOL, you mustang guys got it good compared to the F cars, imagine your same motor in a Mustang II, LOL.

Sure you mean 9.2 modded, and yea, the LQ4 modded has been 8s all motor.

As for the boost motors, the mod motors deliver for sure, and i am the first to admit, full out competition, the twin turbo(or single) LS motors are really still learning from what i see, but i am not into drag cars if they are never street driven, unless it is a fun budget setup, that makes it fun for me to see how fast a car can go with not having sponsors or deep pockets.

The LS motors are catching up though, LMR here is Houston is doing great work.

Here is said 9 second all motor fox car with the LS swap(IRON LQ MOTOR), stock internals(except cam before panties get bunched), stock LS2 heads that were milled .040

https://ls1tech.com/forums/single-di...-only-fox.html
Old 04-29-2011, 01:37 AM
In-Zane Moderator

This is another members LQ4 with stock L92 heads, went 9s all motor before he went with a smaller cubed LS:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...n-results.html

And here is his fully built 346 cubed LS base motor hitting 9.08 all motor:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...k-cube-ls.html
Old 04-29-2011, 01:49 AM
In-Zane Moderator

LOL, here is his current motor, a bone stock LQ with the carb setup, went high 6s in the 1/8th all motor, that is a 10 second car for the slow folks like stopsign:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ka-boom-2.html
Old 04-29-2011, 04:31 AM
On The Tree

A 351 making as much power as a old SBC yes, but a higher revving LS, not likely, they are RPM limited until you mod the lower end. The reality is, with aftermarket, a GM and Ford with the same cubes will make roughly the same power if they are the same platform like pushrod motors.

Here is something for you ford boys that never ventured from the blue oval, this is how GM did the 302 and it was stock in the 1st gen camaro, 8000 RPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYrqGPps1ek
Are the Ford guys supposed to be impressed?

If you ventured out from the GM camp you would know that the 302 Chevrolet engine was designed to compete with the Boss 302; and the Boss 302 can do the same rpms as the 302 Chevrolet motor without sweating.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just so ya know....I don't care about the fastest of anything if it has race gas in it. I was more speaking of real **** that most of us can afford to f with. I know there are people out there with lots of money that will go after a record even if it means grenading a motor or a motor that needs so much maintence that it's virtually unaffordible.

I figured you were beatin on it pretty hard Bitemark...good job figuring it out! I often wondered how fast my ls6 would go if it were more a dragcar setup. Right now the way it is I'm actually not that hard on it.
You can't reason with some of these ford guys!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
If you ventured out from the GM camp you would know that the 302 Chevrolet engine was designed to compete with the Boss 302; and the Boss 302 can do the same rpms as the 302 Chevrolet motor without sweating.
If you would venture out from under that rock you're under, you would know that Chevrolet introduced their 302 BEFORE Ford. FORD threw together a 302 to compete with Chevrolet.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

I'm confused. So because a car runs a high octane fuel you think its a full out race car? You know you can put 110 in a stock car if you wanted to run 1000000* of timing. So you think thats a race car?

Just because an engine needs higher octane doesn't mean its a racecar. Many mild setups use race gas so they can advance the timing to pick up power.

Hell I put 110 in my car on the dyno. Only picked up 5rwhp but at 7.50 a gal (back then) I said it wasn't worth it. lol so I back it down a few degrees.

What size motor is this LQ block that ran 8's at 3200? I'm gonna guess and say over 400.

Oh and I chuckled at the 8,000rpm video. It was cute but my stock motor gets twisted to 7200 on ocassion. That all motor mod engine that went bottom 9's spins his to 10k. Little motors always have to spin higher to make power.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

the 2011 5.0 is pretty fast but, i have to see one at the track for myself before im sold on it!!! my buddy from work raced an evo, cammed making 20+ lbs boost and beat it! but i dont know what a evo like that runs at the track! they were finders apart each race
Old 04-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Teching In

It's really funny how far and fast this got off topic. I don't fully understand the argument going on here. The average person who buys a performance car isn't getting it to throw a crapload of money at it to run single digit times. I personally enjoy driving a quick car and would like to be faster than others but there will always be someone faster. I have always been a GM guy but am planning to buy a 300c SRT8 to go with my Ram and the Town and Country instead of another camaro or other GM product. I like they way they feel when you drive and the quality of materials seems to be a little higher, the seats are wonderful, and having room for 4 is a plus. Its never gonna be super fast but i hope to get into the 12's with it (pretty good for a 4200 lb car), but it serves the purpose i want a car for better than the other options. There are plenty of ways of making realistic power on the different platforms for the average person. That's what makes it fun is that there isn't one way to do it, If there was only one motor to start with it would get rather boring very quickly. As for the original topic the new mustangs are nice, not a big fan of the rear angles but overall nice and fast. They make different cars for different reasons, thats the fun of cars.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Your positive? Are going to do so? Have not seen it done yet, you are the one? A fully gutted, built to the teeth 302 will, but street trim and stock short block? I have seen stock LT1s and SBC 350s run harder with the stock short blocks, but then again, there are extra cubes, but the GMs are heavier than the light fox as well.

Do something besides run your mouth.
You still didn't answer me about how much power your car put down at the ground. All I saw on your "site" is estimated 500hp at the motor. Out of a 6.0....that is pathetic.

Quick Reply: Holy crap those new 5.0's are fast!!!